poor little cory...

1. rae64 Well Known Member Member

pooor, pooooor cory cat.. im trying to get my new 29 gallon tank set up, and so his 10 gallon is sitting on the floor... and has caught the attention of my cat. can i put a towel over his tank so she cannot see him?? will he care? ive read they are nocturnal, but i dont know if darkness ALL the time is ok. i just dont want kitty paws where they shouldnt be.

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I guess it depends on the personality of your cory. I have three cats who are always punching the glass and dipping their paws - the cories couldn't care less.

Could you put the towel over the tank, but still have the light on?

:nono: Naughty kitty! :giggle:

3. rae64 Well Known Member Member

i actually only have 2 plugs in my bathroom (where the tank is now) so i have to choose between light, filter, and heater. im worried roxy (little trouble maker cat) will end up trying and maybe succeeding at catching the poor cory and maybe killing him... the tank is shallow enough for her to reach the bottom, and she is REALLY good at "getting" things. she like to swallow lizards whole. also the cory is a little sick (ammonia isnt being nice, but not worrying about cycling to tank because im going to drain it in 2 weeks or less and move the cory to my new tank) and he is kinda lonely and skittish/stressed. i feel really bad for him, but just don't have anywhere else to keep the little guy. his new home and some new buddies will be ready soon though!

4. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I would still do water changes every day regardless of if you are worried about cycling the tank if you want the cory to survive.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Rae. Diggly has made a "very" good point. Any amount of ammonia can be fatal to your fish. Please keep up with your water changes until your ammonia is back to 0. Add some Prime so it will detox the ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change. The ammonia may get your fish before kitty has a chance to.
    Best wishes and keep us posted. Glad to hear you're upgrading tanks! That's great!
    Ken

6. rae64 Well Known Member Member

i'm still keeping up with my water changes... dont worry :) when i said im not trying to get it cycled i meant that im not trying to keep any ammonia in the tank for the bacteria to feed on... the reason there is some in there is that i have been really busy and it has been a few days since the water change. i can never get it all the way down to zero, and it rises rather quickly. he is still feeling fine, an so im hoping he will hang in there for just a few more weeks. as for the prime, i really just like to use it sparingly because of the AWFUL sulfer odor.... *gag*it smells REALLY bad, especially in the small confines of the bathroom.

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

rae64, just be careful about letting that ammonia build. Cories can be pretty sensitive to ammonia and nitrites. Good luck!

8. rae64 Well Known Member Member

thanks jdhef! i am trying to be very careful about my water changes. i hope my new tank will cycle quickly!! i think my cory may be immune... i dont know, but he has survived better than my mollies, platys, and sails. and now he is the only one left! he has been so hardy! i would hate to see anyting happen to my little trooper.... :)

9. click Well Known Member Member

why not using a power bar?

10. rae64 Well Known Member Member

my only power bar (or the only avaliable one) is currently under my new 29 gallon tank. i do not want to go have to buy a power bar for a tank that will just be taken down in a few weeks. i think im going to lock my cats out of the bathroom for a little while each day (DUH!) and leave the towel over the cage at night. i would lock them out 24-7 but the bathroom is the only passage to my cat's favorite hangout (and where the majority of their time is spent....) the closet. idk why they like it in there so much, but they do.