Poor lab :(

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

First 24hr fast for my labs and they're breaking my heart. One of the big ones is swimming straight upwards like a dolphin begging for a treat :(

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406034243.170676.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406034346.607116.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Is there a particular reason you are fasting them?

3. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Lol I fasted my cardinal for the first time on Sunday and yesterday I woke up to them swimming quite excited in the front of the tank when I woke up hahaha

I was informed it's good to fast them once a week to help digestion

4. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Thats what I heard as well. My fish get fed 2x a day, and fast 1 time a week. I haven't been doing any fast for the past 2 weeks. Its hard denying them of food.

5. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I fast mine once or twice a week i try to keep the feeding schedule random but the little buggers pig out on eggs and baby shrimp. in fact they probably wouldn't realize if i didn't feed them for a week.

6. delta5 Well Known Member Member

every meal I feed a mix of tropical flakes, dried brine shrimp crushed, dash of bloodworms (once a day), and small cichlid pellets. The cichlid pellets are target fed, but my piggy black mollies get a few.

Right before I go to bed I grind up 2 small algae wafers for the common peco 2 times a week.

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I do not fast my fish. I feed my goldfish and my Rainbow Fish twice a day and my Betta once a day.

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I don't fast my fish either, they get fed twice a day.
    Do you only feed your plec twice a week? A common will need more food than just a couple of algae wafers, feed some veg as well.
    You probably already know that a common plec will outgrow your tank as they can grow quite quickly in the first year or so.

9. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I don't plan on keeping him. He was a dollar and figured he'd be happy in our 55g for now and later on I can sell him to a mom and pop fish store. we also figured he'd make a good test run on how the tiger barbs and cichlids get along with his type. Oddly enough he seems invisible to the other fish.

As for feeding the plec, its very difficult getting food to him without other fish taking it from him.

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd rehome him now if you're having trouble feeding him & you'll have trouble selling him on once he's bigger

11. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Actually I found several people who would buy him when he is bigger. Lfs said roughly 20 dollars depending on size and condition. It'd be in store credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum