Poor Guy Can't See Above Him To Eat Anymore

Sakana魚

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Poor guys losing his sight. He can still see eye level and below him tho. Found food somehow tho hes bellys fatttttt. I suspect he stole someones sinking pellet. (I overfeed today so everyone is fat and happy haha)

I wish pictures could do him justice. His scales shimmer between a dark blue and a light green depending how the light hits them and he has dark spots on his fins but I can't get him to flare so rip ever getting a picture of that haha. He looks like a hot mess but a beautiful mess lol.

IMG_20190101_180050.jpg
IMG_20190101_180051.jpg
IMG_20190101_180057.jpg
IMG_20190101_180122.jpg
IMG_20190101_180129.jpg
IMG_20190101_180634.jpg

lilabug4545

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Awww! My Dionysus was the same way. He actually had tiny fishy cataracts, so he couldn't see anything unless it was moving. Plus, he was lazy, so if the food went below him, he's just sit there staring at it (You could almost hear the Hello darkness, my old friend music in the background).

OP
Sakana魚

Sakana魚

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
lilabug4545 said:
Awww! My Dionysus was the same way. He actually had tiny fishy cataracts, so he couldn't see anything unless it was moving. Plus, he was lazy, so if the food went below him, he's just sit there staring at it (You could almost hear the Hello darkness, my old friend music in the background).
Omg xD I'm gonna hear that in my head now every time I feed him, I toss the food in and he just stares at me all dejected while everyone else munches away at his meal. Its like dude the foods right above you.

I think his scales are growing over his eyes, its the same shimmery blue color as his body.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like he has the dragonscale/metallic gene, and displaying what's commonly referred to as diamond eye.

I had a betta that when I got him, had diamond eye and couldn't see very well. I trained him to eat out of a floating ring, and to come over when I tap the glass. He did fine with that, and when I removed the ring, would still come to the surface to eat....

So I would suggest the same. Tap the glass before feeding to help condition him that food is there when you tap, and possibly feed out of a ring at the start to make his life a little easier. While training him, try to curb the desire to redecorate, so he becomes well versed where everything is within his tank - even then, I wouldn't redecorate my tank with my diamond eye betta to reduce confusion for finding his way around.

If his condition worsens, consider placing him in a small iso tank - or floating container - to restrict his movements and ensure that he's still getting well fed. They do fine with being blind - or partially blind - but it does take a while to get them accustomed to being handicapped. Be patient!

New Threads