Poop eating fish????

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by hom3yboy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. hom3yboyNew MemberMember

Hi,
    I have a 40 gallon tank and have beach sand on the bottom. My tank is really comming along beautifully. The only problem is there is so much visible poop. Aside from vacuming what ways can i get the fish to clean up themselves? Are there any fish which like to clean up their enviornment or even eat poop? Or are there any snails or little critters i can get which eat poop? Or will the poop ever dissolve on its own. Although that probably wouldnt be healthy for the fish. This was just an interesting thought i had. Any ideas or help you guys have are more than welcom.
    Thanks for your time:)

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum

I don't think there are any fish that will be like "Oh good, some poop!" You could try shrimp and snails - they might be detritivores.

3. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

:;laughing

I hate to be stalking you in all your threads, but you most certainly should NOT be considering adding any fish, young man :;smack (Assuming you're a man based on your name ;)) Firstly you have a sick fish, secondly your tank is incredibly overstocked. However you can consider bottom-feeders for once your tank is stockable, IE not filled to the brim with gouramis ;)

To answer your question, I do not think there are fish that eat poop. Some people say shrimp do, and I've seen shrimp pick up poops, but I honestly think they're sifting through it, looking for undigested edible bits.

4. MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

5. hom3yboyNew MemberMember

Lol no. Not at all. I really welcome you to all of them. You have been an amzing amount of helf and would like to thank you. And your right i cant add any to my tank as of now. I just wanted some info on the subject for future ideas. Definatly not considering getting them now. Or for a while. But i dont know about the shrimp either. Maybe snails do. But i have heard they have lots of diseases and would not bring one into my tank without further info.

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I've got snails in every tank. I'm not aware of any diseases that are communicable to fish.

7. hom3yboyNew MemberMember

Wow!!!!!! Thats amazing i had no idea there was a fish that ate poop! I knew there was a possibility though. Although i have a freshwater tank. But its still cool to know. Thanks for your reply. So if theres a saltwater poop eater. There might be a fresh water one.!!!!!!

8. hom3yboyNew MemberMember

What are the benifits of having snails.???? Do they help the tank in any way?

9. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Trumpet snails will keep the tank clean. They may even eat poop.

10. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I have snails in all my tanks too :) Some snails, like nerites, eat algae. Others, like mysteries, just poop a lot :giggle: (Can you tell I have a bunch of nerites? :)) Both come in lots of colors - mysteries come in solid colors, and nerites in patterns like black and yellow stripes and red with black dots. They also eat up uneaten food on the substrate.

11. hom3yboyNew MemberMember

Can snails live in a tank with beach sand though? They might have trouble getting around.

12. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Trumpet snails live in the sand during the day and come out at night.

13. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I have nerites and trumpet snails in sanded tanks.

14. hom3yboyNew MemberMember

15. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Most certainly not :) Sometimes fish will chomp on a poop to see if it's food, but they'll spit it out right after.

16. hom3yboyNew MemberMember

Are their any types of aquatic slugs? I have. Heard there are some kinds that eat poop.

17. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Nudibranches are sort of slug-like but they're definitely saltwater. I'm not aware of any freshwater slug-type critters.

18. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice