Pool-to-pond thread

Yeoy

Howdy y'all,

So I don't personally have a pool/pond :(:( but I've recently seen some amazing projects where people have converted their in-ground pools into large ponds.Where I am in Australia people are generally using them with native fish and plants, and the inevitably you get some insects, birds and frogs etc... visiting. But I have seen them done with tropical/imported fish to, depending on the climate.

Just curious if any of the Fishlorians have done a pool-to-pond conversion and would love to see some pics/videos for inspiration :)

CrackerboxPalace

It's not a pool conversion, but for a while I was involved with Whites Creek Wetland in Sydney, and back in Melbourne a goldfish pond. It would be really great to see a wetland-style pool conversion with some native species like galaxias or even murray river rainbows. The dragonflies, frogs etc. should come on their own if you setup a nice environment for them. Maybe even turtles. Take care with duckweed, we must've removed several kilograms worth of it every month. Consider bulrushes and other native reeds for plants.

Another thing to consider is that above-ground ponds/pools are much more prone to temperature fluctuation than ones built into the ground. Since you're in the gong and it's a little cold there I would stick with natives or goldfish/koi unless you want to invest in heating.

Yeoy

It's not a pool conversion, but for a while I was involved with Whites Creek Wetland in Sydney, and back in Melbourne a goldfish pond. It would be really great to see a wetland-style pool conversion with some native species like galaxias or even murray river rainbows. The dragonflies, frogs etc. should come on their own if you setup a nice environment for them. Maybe even turtles. Take care with duckweed, we must've removed several kilograms worth of it every month. Consider bulrushes and other native reeds for plants.

Another thing to consider is that above-ground ponds/pools are much more prone to temperature fluctuation than ones built into the ground. Since you're in the gong and it's a little cold there I would stick with natives or goldfish/koi unless you want to invest in heating.
I think Sutherland shire ran a pool to pond program for a while were they would assist with a $$ grant as well as helping source native livestock and plants, shame it's not happening everywhere. A lot of people (or neighbours) are quite hesitant about mosquitoes but a well stocked pond should have little/no mosquitoes anyway at that size.

Unfortunately it's just a pipe-dream for me for now. Would love one but I'm back to renting for the foreseeable future. Indoor tanks only :'( (Although tempted to start a few tubs out the back for summer!)

CrackerboxPalace

Tubs would be great! I've used them as quarantine and hospital tanks, almost wanted to keep goldfish in them permanently :) find a shady area for them for sure.

Yeah mosquito larvae shouldn't be much of a concern if there's fish in the tank. Almost wish I lived in the shire now. But then again I don't. ;)

Yeoy

Tubs would be great! I've used them as quarantine and hospital tanks, almost wanted to keep goldfish in them permanently :) find a shady area for them for sure.

Yeah mosquito larvae shouldn't be much of a concern if there's fish in the tank. Almost wish I lived in the shire now. But then again I don't. ;)
A LFS owner who used to operate near me used to breed lots of rainbows/blue eyes in styrofoam tubs outside his shop during the summer, then put them back in the tanks during winter. My main concern is I wouldn't have anywhere to bring them back in when it got cold :/

CrackerboxPalace

A LFS owner who used to operate near me used to breed lots of rainbows/blue eyes in styrofoam tubs outside his shop during the summer, then put them back in the tanks during winter. My main concern is I wouldn't have anywhere to bring them back in when it got cold :/
You could add a powerful heater, shouldnt be too costly if you only do small tubs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Plants
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
  • Foxxway
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Foxxway
Replies