Pool Sand/Sand vs Gravel?

ForceTen

I just bought a new 40 gallon tank today. I have never used sand before and from what I hear on this forum most people really like it. Seems its appearance is the main attraction and I do agree.

Other than appearance, what are the pro's and con's regarding sand as my new substrate. Fresh water tank.

Pool sand?

kallililly1973

pool filter sand. simple to clean , quick rinse in a bucket, heavy so it stays down during substrate vacs, everything stays on top of it so just swirl your WC vacuum around and it will pull everything up. The only con is there are no nutrients for root feeding plants like Swords so you will need to add root tabs if your going with a planted tank.

ForceTen

pool filter sand. simple to clean , quick rinse in a bucket, heavy so it stays down during substrate vacs, everything stays on top of it so just swirl your WC vacuum around and it will pull everything up. The only con is there are no nutrients for root feeding plants like Swords so you will need to add root tabs if your going with a planted tank.

Thanks. No live plants. I do not need anymore to care for. Is all pool filter sand the same? Or are there different grit?
I'm excited to pick up the new equipment. I will wait until Monday so I can get the sand as well.
Ordered my AquaClear 70 today.

kallililly1973

I got mine from Leslies pool supply. The brand was Lighthouse. I don't know if all PFS is the same so I don't want to steer you wrong. Once you find the brand your able to get your hands on you should be able to do a quick search or contact the company or even post a pic of the bag here and see weather it is safe or not. Looking forward to seeing your set up keep us posted with pics Good Luck!!

ForceTen

I got mine from Leslies pool supply. The brand was Lighthouse. I don't know if all PFS is the same so I don't want to steer you wrong. Once you find the brand your able to get your hands on you should be able to do a quick search or contact the company or even post a pic of the bag here and see weather it is safe or not. Looking forward to seeing your set up keep us posted with pics Good Luck!!

Thanks. I see Ace Hardware carries it as well as Lowes and Home Depot. So, it looks like a very easy product to pick up most anywhere.
I guess all pool filter sand is the same?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StickyRice
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views