Pool filter sand?

Rafisunn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm considering using pool filter sand for a 20 gallon planted tank. Are there any specific brands/types I should get? Or things to watch out for?

I'm also worried about gas pockets in the sand. Is there a way to get rid of or stop gas pockets from occurring? The tank will most likely have a Betta and some pygmy cory.

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rafisunn said:
I'm considering using pool filter sand for a 20 gallon planted tank. Are there any specific brands/types I should get? Or things to watch out for?

I'm also worried about gas pockets in the sand. Is there a way to get rid of or stop gas pockets from occurring? The tank will most likely have a Betta and some pygmy cory.
HI there. I use PFS. Keep it to less than 3" deep and you shouldn't get those pockets. I use easy green root tabs, you'll absolutely need see sort of root tabs, and more than the packet says since the PFS doesn't hold nutrients like Aquarium substrates do.

Make sure you're getting sand and not silica or that newer crystal looking pool filter media, the sand is quite small and you'll be fine with any PFS idk what size mine is sorry.

You can gravel vac the sand and you'll only get a tiny amount through the hose, very minimal and you can always put it back in the tank. I don't bother to it's that small of an amount.

Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse.

Did I mention to rinse the sand??

Post photos!

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I use HTH pool sand and it works fine, even with over a 3” sand bed gasses won’t effect your fish, if you understand gas exchange you should have no worry. I wouldn’t suggest sand for a planted tank due to it being inert and compacting overtime now allowing root hairs to breathe, inevitably killing your plants

OP
R

Rafisunn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CichlidJynx said:
So I use HTH pool sand and it works fine, even with over a 3” sand bed gasses won’t effect your fish, if you understand gas exchange you should have no worry. I wouldn’t suggest sand for a planted tank due to it being inert and compacting overtime now allowing root hairs to breathe, inevitably killing your plants
I've seen a lot of people use sand for planted tanks. Is there something that can be done to prevent the sand from killing the plants? I would prefer to have sand for cories.

Brizburk said:
HI there. I use PFS. Keep it to less than 3" deep and you shouldn't get those pockets. I use easy green root tabs, you'll absolutely need see sort of root tabs, and more than the packet says since the PFS doesn't hold nutrients like Aquarium substrates do.

Make sure you're getting sand and not silica or that newer crystal looking pool filter media, the sand is quite small and you'll be fine with any PFS idk what size mine is sorry.

You can gravel vac the sand and you'll only get a tiny amount through the hose, very minimal and you can always put it back in the tank. I don't bother to it's that small of an amount.

Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse.

Did I mention to rinse the sand??

Post photos!
The only PFS I can find that's nearby is made of silica. Is it bad to use those ones? I'm only looking online at the moment so there might be different sand in-store. I will be using root tabs :)

I won't be able to set up anything until after the 20th but I can't wait to get it set up and post pictures! (Even though it won't look great lol)

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use PFS in all my tanks (7) and all the plants do quite well and even in the 55 some areas are close to 4". I add root tabs and usually dose with nilog thrive and do 50-75%wc's every 5-7 days. Also most all of my tanks have MTS so they burrow in the sand and stir it up ( from my understanding ) and have never had to deal with any air pockets. I use Lighthouse brand from a pool supply place in my area. 50# bag for $10. IMO can't beat it...

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You asked about brands to avoid. I saw some a while ago that was Clorox brand, and said it had some additive so you didn't need as much as regular pool filter sand. It didn't elaborate on what that additive was, but considering the brand name I decided not to try it in an aquarium.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rafisunn said:
I've seen a lot of people use sand for planted tanks. Is there something that can be done to prevent the sand from killing the plants? I would prefer to have sand for cories.

The only PFS I can find that's nearby is made of silica. Is it bad to use those ones? I'm only looking online at the moment so there might be different sand in-store. I will be using root tabs :)

I won't be able to set up anything until after the 20th but I can't wait to get it set up and post pictures! (Even though it won't look great lol)
Usually the only way to grow plants is using root tabs and fertilizer

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
JettsPapa said:
You asked about brands to avoid. I saw some a while ago that was Clorox brand, and said it had some additive so you didn't need as much as regular pool filter sand. It didn't elaborate on what that additive was, but considering the brand name I decided not to try it in an aquarium.
Clorox is a bleach, likely would kill everything. Just get plain ol PFS. No additives.

Rafisunn said:

Someone else said they use HTH, that's what I use as well. As for another comment of the sand killing the plants, that's not necessarily true. I had roots stretch from one end to the other in the sand. PFS won't compact like play sand can.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Get Malaysian trumpet snails if you are afraid of gas pockets. They burrow through sand and keep oxygen going through and break gas pockets when they are small.

Downside they do reproduce pretty fast.

OP
R

Rafisunn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Brizburk said:
Someone else said they use HTH, that's what I use as well. As for another comment of the sand killing the plants, that's not necessarily true. I had roots stretch from one end to the other in the sand. PFS won't compact like play sand can.
I will check out HTH sand.

I've seen videos where people used quikrete pool filter sand. Is this stuff okay? There seem to be quite a few reviews of people using it in aquariums. It's also is at the hard ware store near me so this stuff would be ideal if it's safe.

FinalFins said:
Get Malaysian trumpet snails if you are afraid of gas pockets. They burrow through sand and keep oxygen going through and break gas pockets when they are small.

Downside they do reproduce pretty fast.
I considered getting some but I'm worried if they reproduce too much, I won't have anything to eat them :/ Also, i'm not sure how to get one.

andy305mia

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
https://www.amazon.com/Fairmount-Minerals-Filter-20-Grade-Silica/dp/B00JJ5GXSK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2HD7IYXPEXJPH&keywords=pool+filter+sand&qid=1581828158&sprefix=pool+filter,aps,209&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHVUxLN05ZODg0MjEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NjEzODAyQlFBUTJZRjlaMExWJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MzgwNTMxRlM2WDJNMjFYSkdMJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
used this stuff in a 55 I had, worked just fine

chasewied

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could use organic Pottingsoil under the sand for the plants. About 1 1/2 inches of that then another 1 1/2 in of sand. Plants will thrive then

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Please realise why it is called PFS and what it is meand for.

PFS is meand to filter water, so it "designed" to let water through it. The grains are polished and rounded and mainly same sized.

That way there will always be space for water (and gasses) to be realeased. If the layer is made to thick this gets more difficult btw

Other kinds of sandtypes are meand for pavement, aso so don't have this.

PFS is therefor great for tanks.

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rafisunn said:
I will check out HTH sand.

I've seen videos where people used quikrete pool filter sand. Is this stuff okay? There seem to be quite a few reviews of people using it in aquariums. It's also is at the hard ware store near me so this stuff would be ideal if it's safe.

I considered getting some but I'm worried if they reproduce too much, I won't have anything to eat them :/ Also, i'm not sure how to get one.
They're basically the same.

OP
R

Rafisunn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
Please realise why it is called PFS and what it is meand for.

PFS is meand to filter water, so it "designed" to let water through it. The grains are polished and rounded and mainly same sized.

That way there will always be space for water (and gasses) to be realeased. If the layer is made to thick this gets more difficult btw

Other kinds of sandtypes are meand for pavement, aso so don't have this.

PFS is therefor great for tanks.
Okay, I'm only planning to have about 2 inches of sand. Is that too thick? The sand I was looking at is pool filter sand not another type :)

Brizburk said:
They're basically the same.
So it should be okay? Sorry, I just want to make sure.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rafisunn said:
Okay, I'm only planning to have about 2 inches of sand. Is that too thick? The sand I was looking at is pool filter sand not another type :)

So it should be okay? Sorry, I just want to make sure.
Yeah that will be fine, it allows enough room for root structures

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I also use pool filter sand in all of my tanks. I can't remember the name. I bought a 50# bag of it at my local hardware store. Cost about $5.00 for 50# so couldn't beat the price. I rinsed it really really well since it was going in an already up, running, cycled and stocked tank. By rinsing it really well it didn't cloud my water even the slightest bit. My plants seem to be doing well. I do add root tabs for some plants and occasionally add a bit of an all in one liquid fert. I have assassin snails living in my sand so they tend to keep it stirred for me.

OP
R

Rafisunn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CichlidJynx said:
Yeah that will be fine, it allows enough room for root structures
Alright, thank you :)

mattgirl said:
I also use pool filter sand in all of my tanks. I can't remember the name. I bought a 50# bag of it at my local hardware store. Cost about $5.00 for 50# so couldn't beat the price. I rinsed it really really well since it was going in an already up, running, cycled and stocked tank. By rinsing it really well it didn't cloud my water even the slightest bit. My plants seem to be doing well. I do add root tabs for some plants and occasionally add a bit of an all in one liquid fert. I have assassin snails living in my sand so they tend to keep it stirred for me.
I will make sure to rinse mine out really well before adding it! And I will be using root tabs as well as liquid fert :) Assassin snails are awesome! I'm thinking about getting a nerite snail so I wouldn't want it to get killed :/

New Threads