Pool Filter Sand?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just saw a post on another Discussion that said he (or she, not sure) had never seen any pool filter sand that wasn't safe for fish. That may be true, but I went to Lowe's last Saturday intending to get some, and the only kind they had was labeled "Pool Filter Sand PLUS". It didn't elaborate on just exactly what the "PLUS" meant, but the label said you could use less of it than conventional pool filter sand. That, and the fact that it was Clorox brand, made me decide to pass on it.

OP
JettsPapa

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MEWaters said:
this guy uses "playground sand, straight to the tank"
My current tank has "All Purpose Sand" from Lowe's, but it contains quite a bit of very small gravel. I think I'm going to try sand blasting sand from Tractor Supply for my next one.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use HTH pool filter sand from ACE Hardware and I’ve had no issues, my tank has been running 6+ months and my Neo. Similis are able to dig and spawn in the PFS just read the bag for signs of “treatment” which might have Chloramine (Chlorine & Ammonia) in it.

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MEWaters said:
this guy uses "playground sand, straight to the tank"
Yeah. I watched it and skipped a bit.
I missed a mention of "playground sand, straight to the tank"

I did try this as an experiment due to running ecocomplete for years and years to the point I forgot about rinsing substrate. "playground sand, straight to the tank" will flash fry anything you put in. 24 hours for full tank kill. I was just trying to show people you could make an instant tank.
~20 feeder ghost shrimp and an Amazon sword that was 6+ feet across bit it in that experiment. Wash your substrate!.. Unless it is ecocomplete or an analog which is ruined by rinsing. I still have not regrown a sword that big and beautiful... though I do have some which can clog/look out of place in a 60-75.
the one in the 75 is now very manageable.. %$$#@!! snails. %$#@@!!! internet saying cactus plecos love to eat snails.

PLUS makes me run for the hills.
Plain old pool filter sand and I love each other. It just takes a while to clean.

MEWaters

Reaction score
I obviously don't recommend adding straight to tank without standard rinsing procedures. was posted more or less as a data point and another 'option' so to say

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Play sand is a smaller granular size than PFS so just be sure to not stir it around in the tank.

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CichlidJynx said:
Play sand is a smaller granular size than PFS so just be sure to not stir it around in the tank.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no.
I do not have black construction paper and would prefer not to throw a handful of each on my car hood but pool filter sand is a much finer grade than the play sand from Menards/Home Depot (local hardware shop).
I prefilter PFS because I worry PFS will nuke my impellers. I prefilter my play sand tanks because I have OCD.. and/or do not want spawn eaten by my filters... have you seen the intake on an FX6? That thing will eat a Buick!

New Threads