Pool Filter Sand.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by 2211Nighthawk, Apr 18, 2017.

1. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Ok. So I need new/more sand for my 60g. I was looking at a 50lbs bag of pool filter sand on amazon and it was 15$ Canadian. Problem was the 80$ shipping fee. Where the HECK can I pick up a bag that size in Manitoba and not pay an arm and a leg for it? My only other option at this rate is the 20lbs bags at Canadian tire for 30$ a bag...

Or something similar. I have weather loaches and I'd prefer natural colour, not black or white.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have a store near you? I bought my PFS at ACE Hardware, I ordered it online and decided to get it in store instead of paying shipping.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Is Samson Pools near you? 250 I-XL Crescent, East Selkirk MB R0E 0M0 (I have no idea what all that means at the end of the address) 50 pounds for $11.00. It is on sale, it was $15.00

4. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

I've been informed that there is. Now I have to go find it. :)

I think I found Samson when I was googling pool supplies. It gave me a really stupid location though so I'll have to double check the address. Selkirk is a little far west for me. Winnipeg is closest.

5. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

If you have a Lowes, they may carry some Quikcrete brand for really cheap. I got mine from there! Or you could always go to a pool supply store.

6. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Quikctete? Sounds a little too close to concrete. I'm just imagining my goldfish as Han Solo in carbonite... I know we have a Lowes, I'll add it to my shopping trip. :)

7. RedLoredAmazon

It is the concrete company. :) It is really soft, smooth, and uniform sand grains. I like it a lot better than the PFS that I got for my other tank.

8. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

i am using Quickrete sand: it is actually one of the better sands that I have used.

9. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Whoops. Lowe's looks American. Closest one to me is grand forks.

10. RedLoredAmazon

Oh no! :( So sorry to hear that! Maybe you can google who has pool filter sand close to you? That's how I found my sand.

11. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Found it at Home Depot. Do I want the actual concrete or the play sand?

12. RedLoredAmazon

It will say Quikcrete pool filter sand. They do make concrete, play sand, and pool filter sand. Make sure you read the bags VERY carefully! It would be terrible to have a tank filled with concrete! :eek:

13. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

So it is a pool filter sand. Okie dokie lets see if they have it...

14. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Quikrete is just the brand name. I've used quikrete's pool filter sand in a few tanks and it does well. If you can't find it there, pretty much any pool supplies place or home repair box store will have it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice