Pool Filter Sand.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok. So I need new/more sand for my 60g. I was looking at a 50lbs bag of pool filter sand on amazon and it was 15$ Canadian. Problem was the 80$ shipping fee. Where the HECK can I pick up a bag that size in Manitoba and not pay an arm and a leg for it? My only other option at this rate is the 20lbs bags at Canadian tire for 30$ a bag...

Or something similar. I have weather loaches and I'd prefer natural colour, not black or white.

Last edited:

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have a store near you? I bought my PFS at ACE Hardware, I ordered it online and decided to get it in store instead of paying shipping.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is Samson Pools near you? 250 I-XL Crescent, East Selkirk MB R0E 0M0 (I have no idea what all that means at the end of the address) 50 pounds for $11.00. It is on sale, it was $15.00

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have a store near you? I bought my PFS at ACE Hardware, I ordered it online and decided to get it in store instead of paying shipping.
I've been informed that there is. Now I have to go find it.

Is Samson Pools near you? 250 I-XL Crescent, East Selkirk MB R0E 0M0 (I have no idea what all that means at the end of the address) 50 pounds for $11.00. It is on sale, it was $15.00
I think I found Samson when I was googling pool supplies. It gave me a really stupid location though so I'll have to double check the address. Selkirk is a little far west for me. Winnipeg is closest.

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you have a Lowes, they may carry some Quikcrete brand for really cheap. I got mine from there! Or you could always go to a pool supply store.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have a Lowes, they may carry some Quikcrete brand for really cheap. I got mine from there! Or you could always go to a pool supply store.
Quikctete? Sounds a little too close to concrete. I'm just imagining my goldfish as Han Solo in carbonite... I know we have a Lowes, I'll add it to my shopping trip.

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Quikctete? Sounds a little too close to concrete. I'm just imagining my goldfish as Han Solo in carbonite... I know we have a Lowes, I'll add it to my shopping trip.
It is the concrete company. It is really soft, smooth, and uniform sand grains. I like it a lot better than the PFS that I got for my other tank.

dcutl002

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i am using Quickrete sand: it is actually one of the better sands that I have used.

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It will say Quikcrete pool filter sand. They do make concrete, play sand, and pool filter sand. Make sure you read the bags VERY carefully! It would be terrible to have a tank filled with concrete!

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Quikrete is just the brand name. I've used quikrete's pool filter sand in a few tanks and it does well. If you can't find it there, pretty much any pool supplies place or home repair box store will have it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom