Pool filter sand vs Supernaturals Sunset Gold

AlaskaFishGirl

Reaction score
This might be too nit-picky but what’s the difference in these two kinds of sands? Pool filter vs Supernaturals Sunset Gold? Does one have larger grains? Is one easier to clean than the other?

I have gravel. I’m looking for a natural looking tan-ish colored sand (not too dark and not too light) that won’t show immediate dirt and that won’t get sucked up in my gravel vac. I’ll be getting some corys. I do have plants.

I’ll be ordering through the mail as I live on an island so they’re both going to be expensive. (Price isn’t the deciding factor here)

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know you said price isn't the issue but do both bags come in 50 pound sizes? The PFS will probably be about 10-15 plus shipping for a 50# bag where the Gold will be 25-30 for a 20# bag... What size tank are you using it in? I weould do the PFS. Super simple to rinse and looks very natural.

OP
A

AlaskaFishGirl

Reaction score
29 gallons. Yeah I think you’re right if I ship via Amazon! Good to hear that it looks natural and it’s easy to rinse! 50 pounds would be nice because maybe I’d use some extra sand for some potted plants. Thanks! It’s hard not seeing the stuff in person first. I’m not sure how much sand I’d need for 29 gallons. I was hoping to slope it back to the back of the tank for my plants.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AlaskaFishGirl said:
29 gallons. Yeah I think you’re right if I ship via Amazon! Good to hear that it looks natural and it’s easy to rinse! 50 pounds would be nice because maybe I’d use some extra sand for some potted plants. Thanks! It’s hard not seeing the stuff in person first. I’m not sure how much sand I’d need for 29 gallons. I was hoping to slope it back to the back of the tank for my plants.
Technically you could use the entire bag for the 29 but then again you could always save a small pail worth and if you have access to organic soil you could build the slope with some of that then cap it with the PFS. I did that in my 29 but its not sloped its just a heavily planted tank with tiger barbs guppies ramshorn snails albino corys and an albino BN pleco. I have PFS in all my tanks it looks real natural. and it will grow plants with some plang ferts. if your going that route as well. Be sure to add pics when you get your 29 going. Good luck!

OP
A

AlaskaFishGirl

Reaction score
I’ve never done potting soil in an aquarium before. I like the idea of making my plants happy. But the idea also makes me think it could move when cleaning and get the water muddy? But it must not do that because you use it! So with the potting soil base layer...when you’re vacuuming you’re not pushing down deep? Just skimming?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AlaskaFishGirl said:
I’ve never done potting soil in an aquarium before. I like the idea of making my plants happy. But the idea also makes me think it could move when cleaning and get the water muddy? But it must not do that because you use it! So with the potting soil base layer...when you’re vacuuming you’re not pushing down deep? Just skimming?
I hav about a 1.5-2" layer of soil and then at least another 1" of PFS so it keeps it down. I usually just drain 50-75% and refill I usually just hit one less disturbed area that a little waste builds up but aside from that its a really well balanced tank.

New Threads