1. Theman1

Theman1 Valued Member Member

2. Jakoba

Jakoba Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    Theman1

Thank you! I love the look of pool filter sand too. My blood parrot loves the sand. She already started digging. I just feel like I'm missing something though.

4. Jakoba

Yeah, I can kind of see what you mean. You could always go taller with the rocks, but I really do like the look of it the way it is. If I were you I would have gone with an all black background, but that's just my personal preference.

5. OP
    OP
    Theman1

I think you are right about the black background. It would make the fish pop more. Maybe some low light live plants?

6. Jakoba

I was actually going to suggest live plants! I wasn't sure though because of it being a cichlid tank. I tried live plants in with my BP's and it didn't work out well, kept biting stems. I've been thinking of trying it again though.

7. OP
    OP
    Theman1

I had some anubias in with the BP when I first got her a year ago and she didnt bother it.

I was thinking some java moss to kind of fill the space in a bit. The only problem with the java moss is that none of the fish stores carry it. Maybe ill try getting it online. Or maybe I will get some more rocks and make more caves and go higher like you said. I should probably glue them with aquarium sealant though. I sometimes get really freaked out thinking about a rock falling and smashing the glass.

8. d

dgmirage Valued Member Member

where did you get those rocks?

9. M

Mamajin Well Known Member Member

I think the sand and the rockwork look fantastic, but the background makes the tank look very dark and foreboding due to the lack of any other color besides brown and black. It just doesn't look "happy"... can't think of a better descriptive lol. Id change up the background to something with a bit more greenery to make the fish, sand, and rockwork pop.

10. OP
    OP
    Theman1

I got the rocks from the river by my house. The susquehanna river to be exact.

11. 77Impala

77Impala Well Known Member Member

I have pool filter sand in my ADF tank and love it. You layout looks good. I am not one for black or single solid color back ground. I like more picture view. Shalescape to me would look great on your set up for a background.

12. OP
    OP
    Theman1

Thank you! Ya it is pretty dark. I plan on getting better lighting. The light I have on it I had hanging around. I was trying to go with a more natural look. But it does look sort of depressing.

I really would like to do some easy low light plants. I feel like that would brighten up the tank. Are there any plants that would do well in pool filter sand?

13. M

Mamajin Well Known Member Member

Moss. Moss would do well because you can attach them to rocks and other ornaments in the tank. There's a ton of different types of moss and you can do a lot with them. Google for videos on how to make a moss wall and how to attach moss to things like rock or driftwood.

14. OP
    OP
    Theman1

Thano you! I'll definitely look at them.

15. Jaxxosuna

Jaxxosuna Valued Member Member

Wow that's nice !

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum