Ponzll's 3d Printed Aquarium Goodies Thread! - Page 6

Kathryn Crook

Hmm, so how would this be different from like a small flowerpot filled with soil? I think I’m not following exactly but am interested in the idea!
A plastic pot shaped like a bag sitting on the bottom, all stretchy at the bottom...know what I mean? I'm sorry, idk how to draw it for you.

PonzLL

You mean like with a flexible material? It exists, but I don’t use it because it’s a real challenge to print with. Also I’m not sure about whether it’s aquarium safe material or not!

PonzLL

Well, I think I'm done. The basket is a tough part to print, you get lots of little blemishes and flaws here and there, but structurally it's fine. Function is the most important thing here I guess. The only thing I have left to do is to find some nice stainless screws to use instead.

2018-10-26 15.28.58.jpg
2018-10-26 15.28.37.jpg

2018-10-26 15.30.21.jpg

2018-10-26 15.30.33.jpg

Kathryn Crook

window planters for aquariums! I like it!

PonzLL

nice that's a really good way of putting it actually!

Dreypa

Think you could try adding a little moss ledge coming off the front of the basket as a variation? would be neat to weave moss into it like a mesh to grow out and hide the plastic.

Regardless looking forward to ordering one or two of these once you have the screw situation sorted and are ready to produce them

PonzLL

Interesting idea! Do you mean like replacing the front wall of the basket with a different pattern more suitable for attaching moss, or like an actual shelf that extends off the bottom of the basket, further into the tank?

Dreypa

I was thinking either like a ledge that extends from the top lip of the basket about a half inch out and extends down the height of the basket with a mesh pattern. Either permanenetly attached or dettachable via a clip on. My concern with just changing the pattern of the front of the basket is if there's substrate inside it might make it difficult to weave moss.

Ill try and whip up a microsoft paint of what I'm visualizing

Well my ms paint skills leave much to be desired but this might help illustrate :

57ee15c136.png

PonzLL

I think I understand what you’re saying, but I’d want to attach the wall from the bottom and have it run up to the top from there to keep printing it easy and without supports.

You mentioned substrate though. I didn’t imagine anyone would try substrate with this. I don’t even think it would hold it from falling through the gaps! What would you need that for?

Dreypa

I was thinking an inch or two of sub like flourite inside the basket. seemed like a good idea to help root and propogate plant trims.

I was planning to completely submerged the basked about half way ish down the tank

PonzLL

I've never used that stuff before but I'm thinking it would be too small and fall through the gaps without you using some type of mesh screen in there that may restrict root growth.

Fishcat

I can see putting a few pebbles in there to keep everything in place while waiting for the roots to get going, like growing pothos in a vase with marbles. Works as a positioning aid.
By the by, when you have the design completely settled, I’m probably going to want to order four of these. Will the baskets nest for shipping, do you think?

PonzLL

Yeah I think bigger pebbles would work nicely, and who knows, the fluorite might work as well. I don’t know how large the pebbles actually are.

The baskets don’t nest because they have the dovetails in the end, but I’m thinking I could fit 2-3 in my 9x6 envelopes. I might be able to use larger envelopes for the same shipping price too, I really have no idea how it works, that’s why I normally don’t ship the real big items I’ve made lol

Fishcat

How long did the baskets end up being, and how long are the pieces they hang from? I’m gonna grab one of the flat-rate boxes I have sitting around and see if that would be large enough.
Edit: Ten by seven by five inches. Apparently it’s actually a “Regional Rate” box.

PonzLL

Yeah but can you mail flat rate boxes from home cause I don’t wanna make post office trips that sucks the fun right out of this lol

Edit: I’ll get sizes when I’m around the parts though

Fishcat

I think you can. I’ll go poke through the (to me) less-than-intuitive USPS website.
Okay, it looks to me like they pick up priority mail (which the box I have is) for free with your regular mail pickup. The site really doesn’t explain what they don’t pick up for free.

Fishcat

Just saw your cactus in another thread! It really is a cute little design.

PonzLL

haha thanks. I wasn't sure about the whole thing until I saw it in her's and the requester's tank, but they look great! The other one covered it tightly in moss

Also I think I forgot about this thread until your post. I get so distracted. I still haven't even looked into shipping lol

Fishcat

I did wonder, but I was a tad worried about being banned from your order list if I kept pestering (joke). But seriously, I have some pothos that I want the baskets for, so let me know when you figure out shipping.

PonzLL

lol no I wouldn't do that

well, I might, but I'd at least say something haha

garlicrbrian

I was just looking back at some of the old posts in this thread...I want a 3d printer now...

I also have a question; how do you dump/drain the liquid in the test tubes? Into the trash? I basically just started using liquid test kits and I'm kind of confused...

NanaW

I did wonder, but I was a tad worried about being banned from your order list if I kept pestering (joke). But seriously, I have some pothos that I want the baskets for, so let me know when you figure out shipping.

If he hasn’t band me for pestering he certainly won’t you

PonzLL

I was just looking back at some of the old posts in this thread...I want a 3d printer now...

I also have a question; how do you dump/drain the liquid in the test tubes? Into the trash? I basically just started using liquid test kits and I'm kind of confused...

Honestly, you should get one! If you don't want to spend a fortune, there are two great little printers under $200 that I'd totally buy for myself if I were looking for a smaller unit for my arsenal!

Monoprice MP Select MinI 3D Printer V2, Black - Monoprice.com

As for the test tubes, mine just go down the sink, then I rinse them out real good while I'm there then put them in drying racks.

Fishcat

I rinse my test tubes in the sink, shake them with some water and give them a quick scrub with a little brush that’s meant for water-bottle straws, then onto the rack until next time.
Also, this is my periodic printed plant basket pester post!

PonzLL

Oh hey I learned that I can order the flat rate boxes online and schedule a pickup when I'm ready to ship lol so there's that. I gotta order boxes and figure out what I gotta charge for these things stull. I'm gonna order my boxes right now though since I saw your post haha

Fanatic

I really need to get a printer, maybe Christmas or birthday present?

PonzLL

What's your budget? 3d printers are awesome, and if you're willing to learn to design things and not rely on thingiverse, I'd go as far as say they're necessary. I wouldn't go without one these days, not with all the things I've been able to fix in my house using mine!

Fishcat

I’ll just make myself a reminder to post here every week, then.
No worries, my brain tends to jump around a lot too and if I don’t start something as soon as I think of it, it may go right out of my mind. The calendar on my phone is a lifesaver for me.

PonzLL

I scrapped that whole idea because I couldn't get it done with magnets (glass was too thick), and I tried 3 different suction cup brands and all of them let go after a few days max lol. Shame too because it was starting to grow some algae in there

ETNsilverstar

I scrapped that whole idea because I couldn't get it done with magnets (glass was too thick), and I tried 3 different suction cup brands and all of them let go after a few days max lol. Shame too because it was starting to grow some algae in there

Aww, bummer. Maybe it just needs larger magnets? I saw some other DIY ones online that seemed fairly similar and were able to use magnets.

PonzLL

Well the other problem is that I get bored of things fast and I already got bored of the scrubber idea after a few tries, then moved on lol. Honestly hate that about myself but what are ya gonna do

ETNsilverstar

Well the other problem is that I get bored of things fast and I already got bored of the scrubber idea after a few tries, then moved on lol. Honestly hate that about myself but what are ya gonna do

I know the feeling. And I also want to do a million things that I never get around to. I have an entire room for just my craft stuff that I never do...lol

NanaW

I know the feeling. And I also want to do a million things that I never get around to. I have an entire room for just my craft stuff that I never do...lol

It’s called ADHD

PonzLL

lol yes and I think I have it pretty severe. Been meaning to go see a dr about it but meh

ETNsilverstar

It’s called ADHD
lol yes and I think I have it pretty severe. Been meaning to go see a dr about it but meh

Yeah...the more I read about it, the more I think I have it and it's just manifesting in less common ways. Sounds like we both need to go see a doctor about it! lol

PonzLL

I have a book on managing it called delivered from distraction and in it the doctor lists like 400 things people with ADHD would strongly resonate with. For me it was literally all but like 4 of them. My wife read the list and just kept laughing to herself because she sees it in me every day.

NanaW

Yeah...the more I read about it, the more I think I have it and it's just manifesting in less common ways. Sounds like we both need to go see a doctor about it! lol

It’s more common than you think

ETNsilverstar

I have a book on managing it called delivered from distraction and in it the doctor lists like 400 things people with ADHD would strongly resonate with. For me it was literally all but like 4 of them. My wife read the list and just kept laughing to herself because she sees it in me every day.

I'm gonna have to check out this book now...

DarkOne

Squirrel!

PonzLL

I printed this monster yesterday after someone asked me to find a way to pack 12 vials into a single small unit. Forgot to take a pic of it before I left for work, but it looks pretty sweet lol

Big Fella.png

edit: oh and I got a shipping notification yesterday for my USPS flat rate boxes so those should be in soon!

tfreema

Totally subbing to go back later and read through this thread. Very creative!

Fishcat

My current plan for cleaning up my knitting stuff that I don’t have the patience to sort and organize is, no joke, to pack it in a box and send it to my friend halfway across the country who also knits. Just gotta warn her it’s coming, or maybe I shouldn’t warn her.
I also lay claim to ADHD, along with my husband and both our sons, and nobody was talking about girls with ADHD when I was young. Took me a long, long time to manage any organization in my life at all, and I still don’t do it well. My clothes do make it to the dresser, but mainly only to the top of it.

Crazycoryfishlady

My current plan for cleaning up my knitting stuff that I don’t have the patience to sort and organize is, no joke, to pack it in a box and send it to my friend halfway across the country who also knits. Just gotta warn her it’s coming, or maybe I shouldn’t warn her.
I also lay claim to ADHD, along with my husband and both our sons, and nobody was talking about girls with ADHD when I was young. Took me a long, long time to manage any organization in my life at all, and I still don’t do it well. My clothes do make it to the dresser, but mainly only to the top of it.

Ah man if you didn't just describe my life you mustve given me a grilled cheese recipe.
Except the tank is on the dresser, so no clothes there.

Is your dresser filled with clothes or items that don't fit elsewhere? Lol

-I wonder if that person I tried to give printing advice to ever read it or tried my advice-
I'm also thinking I'm probably going to have to resort to 3D printing for some of the decorations I want for my tanks.
Just can't find what I'm looking for...

Dave125g

This is an amazing thread. I'm not all caught up yet. I'm on page 3 I think. I noticed you tried to print a CO2 diffuser, could you possibly print the parts for a reactor? I use the maxmix reactor, there's not much to it.

The printer only cost 300 bucks? Does that include all the software needed to use it? What's the cost for the materials the printer uses?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been interested in 3d printers since they came out, but at that time they were very expensive.

PonzLL

This is an amazing thread. I'm not all caught up yet. I'm on page 3 I think. I noticed you tried to print a CO2 diffuser, could you possibly print the parts for a reactor? I use the maxmix reactor, there's not much to it.

The printer only cost 300 bucks? Does that include all the software needed to use it? What's the cost for the materials the printer uses?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been interested in 3d printers since they came out, but at that time they were very expensive.

I'm sure I could print parts for a reactor if I had data for it, but don't know enough about reactors to know whether 3d printing is a good appmicaappl for that or not.

My printer was $300 and I've upgraded it quite a bit using a mix of purchased and printed parts. You don't need to pay for the software you use for them since most of the best ones are free. Materials aren't expensive. I use really cheap filament (inland PLA) but some of it costs 4-5x what mine does, and I'd say it's still cheap since you don't need to use much for most prints

Fishcat

Is your dresser filled with clothes or items that don't fit elsewhere? Lol
The dresser has the clothes I’m not currently wearing. Right now it has shorts and long underwear - not warm enough for the one, not cold enough for the other. Also unmatched socks.
On top of the dresser are underpants, socks, undershirts, t-shirts and scrubs. Actually right now they don’t even get there, because we pay our son to do all the laundry and he tends to fall down on the distribution part. Still better than doing laundry.

Culprit

I wonder if you could 3d print a filter Then just buy a simple impeller and motor to put in. You could finally make truly nano canister filters!

Canister, or HOB

Dave125g

I wonder if you could 3d print a filter Then just buy a simple impeller and motor to put in. You could finally make truly nano canister filters!

Canister, or HOB
That would be cool.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Maxxx
Replies
Views
Bryangar
  • Question
Replies
Views