ponds/ winter months Question 

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
:;co mornin peeps my question today is whether koI and goldies are compatable in a pond and what precautions I would need to take as the winter months get cold here

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, Goldies and KoI are compatable in a pond, depending on its size and KoI get very large.
In the winter it is best to keep the pump running for air exchange under the ice. Most ponds don't freeze solid and I have never had a problem keeping the pump running 24/7. Get a low wattage, low head pump. "head" is how high it can pump the water. There are many low wat pumps out there and they barely make a difference on you power bill. figure the head you might need by how high from the pond water level to your filter.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My sister had koI and goldfish both. She sold her koI because they kept eating all her plants. As for winter - just make sure that there is "open water" at some point for the gas exchange. Our pond used to freeze over the top in the winter (back when it actually got cold here) and remember going out and breaking the ice on the pond. It would stay unfrozen where the water moved - all along the waterfall and where it dropped into the pond. We would pick up big sheets of ice and break them up and drop them back in the pond.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh yes, KoI can be a plant eating problem....I only have water Lilies and Lotus. Only plant problems I have now is during spawning..torn leaves, etc. And they recover fast, plants and Koi.
I never break the ice on the pond....it could shock the fish while they are dormant....I actually don't know if that is true...could be an "urban legend" but makes sense to me...Their hearts are barely beating....hardly breathing ....and....BANG...the humans are breaking the ice!!!

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TedsTank said:
I never break the ice on the pond....it could shock the fish while they are dormant....I actually don't know if that is true...could be an "urban legend" but makes sense to me...Their hearts are barely beating....hardly breathing ....and....BANG...the humans are breaking the ice!!!
Is there a place that doesn't freeze over so the gasses can escape?

We were only allowed to lift the ice out of the water and break it then put it back in the water. We were not allowed to break the ice in or on the surface of the water. Of course, the ice was never more than about 1/4 of an inch thick...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads