Pond with clear front/viewing panel.

MoshJosh

I am not affiliated with his YouTube channel in anyway, but I saw this video this morning and thought it was awesome and wanted to share.

as you’ll see in the video this guy hasn’t fully tested it yet, but if this works it could be awesome for those of us wanting to keep big fish!!!

CHJ

I'm not seeing any real gain over the normal pools. The clear part comes up to knee level, so its not really useful. I'm not one to lie on the floor to look at my fish (sorry fish in the bottom racks).
Now when it comes to soft chest high pools I think several of us have talked about putting in a vinyl side and decided it was too high a risk. Probably best to go wood (4x4 or 6x6 or 8x8 etc depending on height. Lots of online stuff uses cheaper wood but I like overkill) lined pool with acrylic window. Joey went concrete.
The cheap pools were a very brief "oh I could.." idea for me. Once the idea of leaks wandered through my head, I decided permanent/semi-permanent install would be the way to go. Those pools are normally outdoors and come with patch kits, for a reason.

I have gotten very sensitive to Youtubers lying to me/the world. "There are no products for monster fish keepers." You can go buy Tsunami 800-Gallon 120"Lx48"Wx36"H Rectangular Acrylic Aquarium Setup which has nearly 2x the capacity of his pools. After that there are a bazillion builders who will make whatever capacity you want. I've seen home arapaima tanks (not in person).
"I guarantee you have never seen anything like this!" Koi pond with window(s) is a very old concept.

So I have a hate on for that guy. Yes, I know he hypes and lies because that is the YT business model but I don't have to like it.

MoshJosh

Sorry, but the link you shared to that 800 gallon tank cost $11,000, and this pond costs $500, not exactly apples to apples. (Also I’m pretty sure that $11,000 is for the tank alone, no stand no filter no overflow, and without a stand that means you’ll also be placing that tank on the floor too)

I will agree this doesn’t work for every application, I certainly wouldn’t be putting in my living room. . . Now putting it in an adjacent room on a elevated platform with a window cut into my living room. . . Nah, still wouldn’t do that ha ha.

and I will agree most people probably don’t want to lay on the ground to see their fish, but some honestly do (Corey just said in a video something to the effect of it’s been a while since he laid on the floor to look at his fish but he needed to do it).

I just think this can be a cool option for someone who wants to keep monster fish and is OK with only occasionally viewing them from the side. Probably someone who has a fish garage, or even someone who lives in a climate where this could be kept outside.

For me I’d love to keep a pair of Dovii some day, and while $11,000 tank might not be in the cards something like this certainly could be possible.

CHJ

The products have been around and are around was the point. "No products for monster keepers" is just not true. If there were no products, there wouldn't be much in the way of keepers.
I have considered soft sides for years. The only sales point they have for me is if I have a monster fish they can be left in a closet until a disaster happens to my main tank. I don't have a monster fish or tank that large.
The other thing I have considered them for is summer outdoor breeding.
500$ seems really steep. without the clear side I think those are ~100$ pools. 400$ gets you much bigger with a filter https://amazon.com/Bestway-5613HE-P...words=above+ground+pool&qid=1633104182&sr=8-5 14 feet in diameter and 4 feet deep. You can fill most of your basement with an above ground in the 500$ range. As we are talking monster fish I'd always go bigger over clear side.
I think a nice big lined wood build out, with an acrylic window, will run you several times this but you can hit it with a truck and it will be fine.
I have also considered digging an in ground pool in my basement and covering it with 3" clear alibaba acrylic sheets so it can be walked on. Just run all the plumbing back to filtration in the laundry room. The acrylic disappeared off alibaba and so that plan got shelved.
Nibbles will receive a tank built into the house using the foundation as the back wall and concrete as a side wall. Then it will be welded angle iron (stainless is a dream) sunk in concrete and 4x8 acrylic panels or a 4x12 glass panel + side glass. if I can figure out how to get it in the basement. COVID has wrecked acrylic prices so this is in holding pattern. Over engineer it, line it with epoxy and glass then pray as I fill it the first time.
Wife signed off on that. She said "No!!" to removing the rear foundation and putting a subterranean shipping container (~5K$) in as a replacement for the removed foundation of the house and then cutting out the front and putting in 3" alibaba acrylic sheets (~1K$). No idea what it would have cost to heat that monstrosity with all of it buried outdoors in MN (~7K gallons is a monstrosity right?).

I get the desperation to have a goonch by any means but I think in the long run saving up and spending extra, is a better bet for long term happiness.

MoshJosh

And I will agree building a wooden pond, concrete pond, inground pond is going to be safer, probably more aesthetically pleasing, and give you more volume. I built my plywood pond, and if my family would allow I would build a plywood tank in the house, but not everyone Has the tools or know how to build something either wood or concrete. That would mean either paying someone else to do it, or buying the tools, both of which are going to add to the overall cost.

I can’t agree more, that there are better options if you’re willing to spend the money or put in the work. And I will agree that if you don’t want the viewing panel there are cheaper and bigger options. That said I still stand by that this product could have some value in the right situation and to the right person.

AP1

The products have been around and are around was the point. "No products for monster keepers" is just not true. If there were no products, there wouldn't be much in the way of keepers.
I have considered soft sides for years. The only sales point they have for me is if I have a monster fish they can be left in a closet until a disaster happens to my main tank. I don't have a monster fish or tank that large.
The other thing I have considered them for is summer outdoor breeding.
500$ seems really steep. without the clear side I think those are ~100$ pools. 400$ gets you much bigger with a filter https://amazon.com/Bestway-5613HE-P...words=above+ground+pool&qid=1633104182&sr=8-5 14 feet in diameter and 4 feet deep. You can fill most of your basement with an above ground in the 500$ range. As we are talking monster fish I'd always go bigger over clear side.
I think a nice big lined wood build out, with an acrylic window, will run you several times this but you can hit it with a truck and it will be fine.
I have also considered digging an in ground pool in my basement and covering it with 3" clear alibaba acrylic sheets so it can be walked on. Just run all the plumbing back to filtration in the laundry room. The acrylic disappeared off alibaba and so that plan got shelved.
Nibbles will receive a tank built into the house using the foundation as the back wall and concrete as a side wall. Then it will be welded angle iron (stainless is a dream) sunk in concrete and 4x8 acrylic panels or a 4x12 glass panel + side glass. if I can figure out how to get it in the basement. COVID has wrecked acrylic prices so this is in holding pattern. Over engineer it, line it with epoxy and glass then pray as I fill it the first time.
Wife signed off on that. She said "No!!" to removing the rear foundation and putting a subterranean shipping container (~5K$) in as a replacement for the removed foundation of the house and then cutting out the front and putting in 3" alibaba acrylic sheets (~1K$). No idea what it would have cost to heat that monstrosity with all of it buried outdoors in MN (~7K gallons is a monstrosity right?).

I get the desperation to have a goonch by any means but I think in the long run saving up and spending extra, is a better bet for long term happiness.
The lack of likes for your post tells me that not nearly enough people got to the whole "subterranean shipping container" bit. I aspire to have the nerves to think of asking my wife for this.:D

Flyfisha

Just another U tube channel ( Australian) run by a fish nut. I post it because of his outdoor pond with glass on the side . It’s a nice tank but not something I would want .

its 5 foot deep.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Catappa
Replies
Views
mimo91088
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies