Pond stocking suggestions

PeterFishKeepin

Hi all,

I have a 865 gallon/3275 litre pond. Been set up for about 6-7 years with comet/shubunkins and about 12 years with nothing but a fountain. Haven't had a single death about 9 comets, 4 subunkins, 3 white and red comets and 4 full white comets, largest about 25-30cm/9-11 inches and smallest about 12cm/5 inches. there is also about 20 -30 yabbies and about 4 mountain cloud minnows.

I really want to add something that isn't goldfish or yabbies, want a koi but can't get my hands on any nearby, any suggestions of other fish than goldfish. I want something I will be able to see, minimum of 2-4 inches maximum 10-15 inches. Preferably with colour, not black, also water gets to about 13 degrees celsius/55 fahrenheit in winter and about 18 degrees celsius/65 fahrenheit in summer. Was thinking guppies, mollies, platies but don't know if could live in the winter temp.

There is loads of plants, 1 giant iris, 3 pots of water lilies, mixed pot large of many plants, and a couple of others I don't know the name of in the pond, large terracotta pots for protection of fish, pond is also covered with a net from birds.

Also, tell me if you think I'm overstocked or have more space and if so for how many for fish.

Thanks for all help in advance,

PeterFishKeeping

ProudPapa

Do more research, or get more feedback, but I believe guppies would be okay with those temperatures. I don't have any experience with the other fish you mentioned.

PeterFishKeepin

Have you got any guppies outdoors in this temp? I was thinking plates because they can handle a bit lower than guppies or mollies and are bigger too

ProudPapa

I have had guppies outside when the air temperature was in the 50's. I don't know what the water temperature was, but they were in tubs that held less then 30 gallons, so I'd think it was pretty close to the air temperature.

I put some out too early the first year I had the tubs. It got down into the 40's, and I lost all but one.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Manjit
  • fishpersonallday
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
saltwater60
  • Machine11
  • Ponds
Replies