Pond Snails

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Chocolate, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Chocolate

ChocolateNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hello Fishlore Members,

I was told I should start my own thread, and by the way, this is a 40 gallon breeder, petco said my acidity and nitrate levels were a little dangerous, I assume it is because of the issue I'm writing about. I have an incredible amount of pond snails, which is spiking my water to danger levels I believe. . . I have purchased three assassin snails, one at a time, and they all died after doing a 25% water change 10% gravel vac. I am a little unsure what to do, I know that the freshwater pufferfish would eat my other fish! I will have to retire the tank in about a year so I could just keep removing what I can but it's still gross looking when people come over here. I like owning pets but these guys, are just not for me.

Thank you for your time,
    Chocolate

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +3,081
    Experience:
    4 years
    Have you tried the veggie trap? Leave a piece of lettuce or other raw veggie in the tank overnight. You should see a large number attached to it the next day which you can throw out. You won't completely get rid of them but if you do this regularly and not overfeed, you should see a decrease in population.

And while all those pond snails may contribute to nitrates, I would look at other factors. What fish do you have? How much and how often do you feed? How large and how often are your water changes and do you have nitrates in your tap?

By the way, I would NOT trust Petco to tell you about the quality of your water. I'd invest in your own test kit so you know what's going on with your tank. They most likely used test strips also which are inaccurate. Most here use the API Master Test Kit.

3. OP
    OP
    Chocolate

ChocolateNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Well the woman that I've seen a couple of times seemed fairly knowledgeable. I was under the impression I was supposed to feed small amounts 5-7 times a day, though I was doing 3, what she said was I should feed every other day, once. Overfeeding could be the contributing factor though I am not sure if my tap water (let sit 24 hours) has nitrates or not. I actually did try the lettuce method, weighing it down with a fork, and they didn't eat it, odd since so many people recommend it. I have five neon tetras, One swordtail female, One baby but colored swordtail, three corydoras, one albino pleco, and a nerite snail. On top of what is probably about a thousand pond snails, the top edge of the aquarium is a half inch thick line of snails and their all over the place inside it. I do believe I will purchase this API master test kit because, I usually take losses when I clean the gravel and do a water change, the assassin snails all died right away, the last time I lost the male swordtail, and the time before that I lost my three guppies, and so on and so on. Is there not a sure way to get rid of them?

Thank you for your time and efforts,
    Chocolate

4. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,930
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    As for feeding I think once or twice a day is good. Over feeding can increase snail population

Also cories like to be kept in groups of 6 or more

5. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +3,081
    Experience:
    4 years
    Sounds like you were overfeeding then. I feed once a day and my ramshorn snail population is very low. You'd barely notice I had any by looking at the tank. I do regularly pick them out of the tank once a week but I usually only find around 5-10.

Can't find the thread but @Junne has a neat water bottle trap where you can stuff algae wafers in it to entice the snails. Keep in mind that you are not going to get rid of them completely without tearing the tank down but you should be able to keep the population down with less feeding and regularly removing them.

6. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thanks @el337
    I use a small water bottle ( the ones from costco work great ) and load it with algae wafers and other food - I usually leave the cap off but if you have small fish who are nosy, you may want to put the cap on and punch a small hole in it

snail trap.