Pond Snails

1. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

is there something i can do to get rid of pond snails? i would like to move some plants to my main tank but don't want to get pond snails started. there are neon tetras in the tank.

yo-yo loaches? or??

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Bait them with fresh veggies at night and remove the veggies in the morning, snails and all. :)

3. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

how long do i need to do that for? will some iceburg lettuce work?

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Till they're gone. Anything will work, as long as its not too acidy :)

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

:animal0068:Your new thread.

Ken

6. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

Tried a piece of lettuce overnight. No takers. I can see the snails sitting on the anubias.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Stop feeding the tank, and in a couple days try again. You'll want to a take a few minutes every day to remove them by hand, too.

8. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

Anytime I see them i pick them out. There's only a betta in the tank I tried. It gets 2 pellets per day, and I make sureit gets both. So no over feeding.

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

They can also thrive in poor water conditions. What are your parameters?

10. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

If you are worried about transferring the snails while moving plants. You can soak the plants in a 20:1 bleach solution. Won't hurt the plants and gets the snails out. Rinse really well once you're done. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of threads on this.

Cutting down on over feeding is a great stop in limiting pond snail population. I've learned not to mind them. They do some good things. I've got a few assassin snails to help keep their numbers in check along with being careful with feedings.

11. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Yo-yo loaches or Zebra Loaches would get rid of them pretty fast. I dunno about Kuhli Loaches though. Try with Romain Lettuce, Zucchini, or Cucumber when you try veggies. Or Assassin snails would help somewhat.

Also if you bleach dip any plant make sure you don't keep it in the solution for more than a minute. The bleach does hurt the plants if they are exposed to it for too long.

12. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would recomend the hydrogen peroxide method instead of the bleach. Same affect to the snails but less harmfull to the plants.

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I thought of that as well but forgot to note it. Also peroxide won't kill your fish if any of it is left on the plants like bleach would.

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have some pond snails in my 33g long tank and I actually enjoy having them. I think they are a nice addition.

My BN Pleco feeds on zucchini stuffed with an algae or vegetable wafer every morning and I leave it in the tank from 7am until around 4pm and then I remove it. There are usually some pond snails attached to it, whatever amount is on the slice, gets thrown out along with the vegetable. I haven't seen very many of the pond snails so some days I remove them from the zucchini and put them back into the tank. I can usually get 3 to 5 snails out every few days.

I do not over feed my fish so they have not become a real issue. Too, If I see egg sacks on the glass, I vacuum them out with the water change.

A couple of the snails were parasnailing yesterday, floating around in the current. Fun to watch.

Ken

15. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

My nitrates get a bit high because of root tabs in the 10 gal. Everything else is fine.

I don't over feed and there still there. I think they eat the plants. The betta gets 2 pellets every day or every few days. The 10 gal get a little food every day to every few days, when I remember. The plants came from a really nice person who gave them to me.

Okay, well I will try the peroxide or bleach.

I just want to get rid of them so I can move them to the main tank. I have enough snails! Evil MTS...

Such snail ID too, I think there MTS, but they are darkish colored, spiral shell, with black dotish spots going around the shell. Are these MTs? Some are lighter colored but usually get dark.

16. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

10 is not big enough for yoyo loaches :) I've never had my Kuhli loaches bother my snails so I would say no they don't eatthem.

Usually snails populate according to the food available. Being very careful how much you feed and making sure none hits the bottom will help with the snail problem.
    carol

17. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

I would then upgrade them to my 29 gal.

I don't over feed. I'm pretty sure they are eating the plants.