Pond snail outbreak

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Joel2036, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Joel2036Valued MemberMember

Just had a massive pond snail outbreak in my red cherry shrimp tank, i went to my LFS and they gave me these capsules but i read the back and it has copper in it and that can be dangerous for RCS cant it?
    what could i do to get rid of them ?

2. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Put in a lettuce leaf into the tank right after the tank lights go out for the night. Weigh it down. Take out lettuce leaf with any accumulated pond snails before lights come on. Crush pond snails and feed to your fish.

Alternatively buy an assassin snail. These are snails that eat other snails, and they do not multiply as fast.

Reduce amount of food you feed your shrimp. Pond snail explosion usually means that you are overfeeding.

Alternatively learn to like pond snails and enjoy them.

3. Joel2036Valued MemberMember

Thanks Joanna, I don't mind pond snails but I'm just worried that if they multiply too much it could make my water conditions worse,
    But yes over feeding does sound like something I am prone to do :p
    The lettuce sounds like a pretty good idea I might give it a go to keep them under control :)

4. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

I have seen stories of assassin snails eating shrimp . The lettuce thing Joanna suggested works great

5. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I never had luck with the lettuce thing :/ cucumers and zuccinis always work for me! As do my assassin snails!

Also they shouldn't effect your water quality to much until you get a few thousand+ but they are kinda unsitley... I say get an assassin and in a month or 3 you should have a much smaller pond snail issue! The assassins range from 2.99-5.99 I bought mine online e for about 3.99 each my lfs I just fond sells them for 2.99 each...

6. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

We can't actually get assassin snails in Australia guys :/ But I have had luck with either fresh vegies, or large algae wafers. It makes it easier if you put it in a small tray or jar, then you can scoop it out easier :)

7. Joel2036Valued MemberMember

Thanks everyone :) and Yeoy saved me again searching the web and every fish shop around me !!! Haha

I found a great fish shop at lidcombe it's called full o fish it had lots of plants and java moss :)

8. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Can you guys buy spixi snails? They do the same thing...

9. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

this made me laugh so hard I almost choked on my coffee

10. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

We have super tight import laws, especially with aquatic critters.. I have not seen anyone in any fish-community within Australia that I can recall who owns or has even mentioned a predatory snail-eating-snail. Just coaches of loaches. But not with RCS obviously.

11. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Some good suggestions by other members above. I feed my BN Pleco a slice of Zucchini every morning and when I go to remove the slice, I usually pull out 6 to 12 snails or so each time. I toss the Zucchini along with the snails into the trash bin.

Please do not use chemicals to remove the snails, as mentioned, using these chemicals can be risky to your tank and fish/invertebrates. Remember you are trying to mimic a natural environment and the fewer chemicals you use the better of your tank will be. Chemicals designed and labeled to Kill/Destroy for aquarium use gets one of these :nono: from me :).

Too, do not use your bare hands to crush snail shells. You could possibly get a nasty infection if you cut yourself.

Ken:;snail

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice