Pond snail outbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel2036

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just had a massive pond snail outbreak in my red cherry shrimp tank, i went to my LFS and they gave me these capsules but i read the back and it has copper in it and that can be dangerous for RCS cant it?
what could i do to get rid of them ?

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Put in a lettuce leaf into the tank right after the tank lights go out for the night. Weigh it down. Take out lettuce leaf with any accumulated pond snails before lights come on. Crush pond snails and feed to your fish.

Alternatively buy an assassin snail. These are snails that eat other snails, and they do not multiply as fast.

Reduce amount of food you feed your shrimp. Pond snail explosion usually means that you are overfeeding.

Alternatively learn to like pond snails and enjoy them.

OP
Joel2036

Joel2036

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Joanna, I don't mind pond snails but I'm just worried that if they multiply too much it could make my water conditions worse,
But yes over feeding does sound like something I am prone to do
The lettuce sounds like a pretty good idea I might give it a go to keep them under control

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I never had luck with the lettuce thing :/ cucumers and zuccinis always work for me! As do my assassin snails!

Also they shouldn't effect your water quality to much until you get a few thousand+ but they are kinda unsitley... I say get an assassin and in a month or 3 you should have a much smaller pond snail issue! The assassins range from 2.99-5.99 I bought mine online e for about 3.99 each my lfs I just fond sells them for 2.99 each...

OP
Joel2036

Joel2036

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone and Yeoy saved me again searching the web and every fish shop around me !!! Haha

I found a great fish shop at lidcombe it's called full o fish it had lots of plants and java moss

Yeoy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We have super tight import laws, especially with aquatic critters.. I have not seen anyone in any fish-community within Australia that I can recall who owns or has even mentioned a predatory snail-eating-snail. Just coaches of loaches. But not with RCS obviously.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Some good suggestions by other members above. I feed my BN Pleco a slice of Zucchini every morning and when I go to remove the slice, I usually pull out 6 to 12 snails or so each time. I toss the Zucchini along with the snails into the trash bin.

Please do not use chemicals to remove the snails, as mentioned, using these chemicals can be risky to your tank and fish/invertebrates. Remember you are trying to mimic a natural environment and the fewer chemicals you use the better of your tank will be. Chemicals designed and labeled to Kill/Destroy for aquarium use gets one of these from me .

Too, do not use your bare hands to crush snail shells. You could possibly get a nasty infection if you cut yourself.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 42 64.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.5%

Top Bottom