Pond Platies with white fungus on faces

DebsAngel

Hello all and again, I'm so grateful for this amazing forum. I have a 350 gallon outdoor pond with about 150 mollies and platies in all stages of growth to adults. I change 70 gallons weekly, use declorinator and the water is clear. I have a few plants that keep nitrates to 20 to 30 PPM. Ammonia is 0. 500w heater with 78 F at all times. Live in Arizona, so not a problem. PH is 7.2 to 7.8 as required for livebearers. I have 2 125 gallon sponge filters with a large filter powered by a 800 GPH sub pump, (set on medium actually). I feed once a day, and the fish have plenty of algae to graze on, and babies (Cannibals! LOL).
However, today I noticed 2 platies with white on their faces, and it looks like fungus. Now I've treated this before in my indoor aquariums, but I can't imagine treating the entire pond with maracyn 2 and ICH-X. My question is, can I pull out the plants and treat the pond with salt? I've read that you use 2.5 cups aquarium salt per 100 gallons, but what grade of salt? Fine salt? Coarse salt? Any help is much appreciated. It's hard to see on the photos, but it looks like maybe 3 have white on their bodies. Thanks! Deb
You must be registered to see images

Flyfisha

Hi DebaAngel.
It certainly reads like you are doing good maintenance on the pond? However I think you are having a water quality issue with just a 20% water change routine and that stocking. It may also be a consequence of your water temperature,something you have little control over in an outdoor situation.
You are having the adults cull out some fry and juveniles as clearly you did not add that stocking , it has reached a tipping point. My solution is to cull out the weak fish with the body fungus issues. Cull out 45% of the fish somehow or Increase your water change routine and STOP feeding the fish. They will not starve on a diet of algae and fry.

By all means add salt but don’t expect that to fix the situation long term.

You are used to seeing that stocking level as it has increased daily. To me it’s an extreme stocking and not something I would expect to find in nature.
I suggest you will have more issues long term if you don’t lower the stocking somehow soon.

DebsAngel

Hey FlyFisha, thank you so much for responding. I am at the tipping point, there are more fish than space at this time. I will quarantine any fish with fungus and treat them in a quarantine tank, cull about 45% to my indoor tank, I have 150 gallons and 80-gallon tank with low bioload, and do 100 gallons weekly water changes and see if that helps. Salt would not be a long-term solution, as you said, and I'll see if I can balance out this pond.

Sedna

This may not be super helpful but I do know that they make pond medications for the same types I use in my tanks when I've had any sick or less than happy looking fish. I'm not sure what sorts your stores sell but I use melafix and pimafix and both come in pond intended types so they're abit higher in concentration for larger quantity usage. It might be worth it to look into if any medications you commonly use also come in higher concentration?

DebsAngel

Thank you, Sedna, I am looking into these options as we speak! You are right, I have used pond medications before in my ponds, but not for fungus. They are in higher concentration, and I have not had much luck with some of them. Plus, some really mess with my bacteria and it is tough when your 350 gallon pond is out of cycle. Great info! thanks again, Sedna. Deb

Sedna

Thank you, Sedna, I am looking into these options as we speak! You are right, I have used pond medications before in my ponds, but not for fungus. They are in higher concentration, and I have not had much luck with some of them. Plus, some really mess with my bacteria and it is tough when your 350 gallon pond is out of cycle. Great info! thanks again, Sedna. Deb
I haven't ever had to use meds in our pond yet, but I do hope things get better for you. Best of luck!!

DebsAngel

Thanks, Sedna. Thanks for sending good vibs! Hope you don't have to use anything either.
Deb

Similar Aquarium Threads

• AlishaRahim
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
AlishaRahim
  • Drewbacca
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Drewbacca