Pond plants turning white

Dlondon95
I got a few pond plants from Dino about a month and a half ago. I have yet to actually put them in the pond, as my LFS just got in the mesh pots to put them in. For now, they are in a plastic tote in my fishroom under a light. They are actually doing quite well.

Anyway, I did put out some Anacharis a couple weeks ago. I just let it float and within a week, it was all white, like bleached white, and it slowly died. I wasn't sure if it was just because I put them out too early or something else.

This past weekend, I put a huge net full of extra duckweed in the pond and I noticed that it, too, is starting to turn white, and it isn't really spreading.

Does anyone know what causes this? The pond does get a LOT of direct sunlight, so I think it may have something to do with that, but real pond in nature get 12+ hours of light and they do great.

Codyandme1
Could it be like underwater scale or something? Mabey there's just something in the pond it really doesn't like... I guess it could be the sunlight but I would of thought that would turn it yellow.

toosie
Calcium or lime deposits maybe? Not real sure though, sorry.

Dino
I will send more anachris once I get back earthside. Sometimes if gets picky, and does the same things here. It is probably do to the change in conditions.

Dlondon95
No need to send more Dino! I only put about half of it out. I still have about 5 or so stalks in a tank that are doing great.

I'll maybe I'll try slowly acclimating the plants next time. I'll put them in a tub of warm tank water outside and let the water temp lower to the temp outside.

gremlin
I've noticed, when I've put plants out that have turned white, it was because of either the rapid change in temp, or the rapid change in amount of sun the plants were used to. If your pond gets a lot of sun, and the plants aren't used to that much sun all at once, it could cause them to turn white and die. Put them in the pond, but shade them so they don't get any more sun than they would inside in your tank (none). Then, slowly allow a little bit of sun time each day - start with 15 minutes, then 30 minutes, etc. If you see them starting to look stressed, back off on the amount of sun until the plants catch up. I've had good luck with acclimating plants this way.

Dino
Let me know if you change your mind.
I have several hundred strands in the pond closest to my parents

Dlondon95
I did something like that with the plants yesterday. I FINALLY put out the rest of my plants.

I'm keeping a close eye on these new plants to make sure they don't die. If I see any signs of them dying, I'll shade the pond with a tarp.

Dino
Sounds like you have it under control.

Dlondon95
Well, I'm still having problems with this :/

There isn't really any way for me to shade the pond at the moment because I don't have anything large enough to do that. I put out a plastic tote with a bunch of plants the other day in a place that doesn't get as much light, as well as a screen over top of it, and those plants aren't looking too bad. They are a little pale, but not near as bad as the others.

I put some water lettuce out in the pond and it is starting to turn white/brown around the edges, but the middle is still growing new leaves.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Dino
Both lettuce which you have and hyacinth which I don't believe you have mentioned are very fast spreaders. The white/browning of the leaves is normal for when you change the conditions the plant is experiencing.

Another option is to set up some shade cloth.

Dlondon95
Well that's good to know.

Where would I find shading cloth? I need to find something as I'm having problems with water temp also. Out of the 5 koi I had, I only know of one that is living yet. 2 I found dead, and the other 2 just kinda disappeared.

gremlin
You can always use an old sheet.

Actual shade cloth can be found at home improvement stores such as Home Depot or Lowe's.

I'm sorry about your Koi. Hopefully your remaining one will do well.

Dlondon95
I'll head over to lowes this week and check that out.

I actually was just out at the pond and saw another koi, so I'm thinking there are still 3 left. The water is very cloudy and you can't see all the way to the bottom.

Dino
Excellent idea Gremlin!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kesh88
Replies
Views
Charlemagne
Replies
Views
Meguhhnn