Pond Plant Recommendation

camillezoo

In the summer, my pond gets soo much algae and I was wondering if there were any plants to help with that. thanks! edit**I just looked and anacahris,water lettuce,salvinia,and water hyacinth, is illegal in my state**

Smalltownfishfriend

Water lettuce is amazing! It soak up lots of the extra nutrients, blocks the sun and is nice looking to boot! The other one that I noticed helped in my pond was hornwort!
Edit
Are you from Alabama? I think water lettuce is actually illegal in your state...

WinterSoldier.

WATER LETTUCE!

Fanatic

I recommend water lettuce, frogbit, salvinia, and red root floaters as floating plants for aquariums and ponds.

Gourami36

Anacharis has taken over my pond so I have never had any problems with algae. I also have some water lilies and some type of grass looking plant that I never identified

camillezoo

Smalltownfishfriend said:
Water lettuce is amazing! It soak up lots of the extra nutrients, blocks the sun and is nice looking to boot! The other one that I noticed helped in my pond was hornwort!
Edit
Are you from Alabama? I think water lettuce is actually illegal in your state...
yes I am. ill look into that...

Gourami36 said:
Anacharis has taken over my pond so I have never had any problems with algae. I also have some water lilies and some type of grass looking plant that I never identified
what kind of anacharis? on kind is illegal in my state

Edit
it is illegal!ahhhh. any other recommendations?

Smalltownfishfriend

camillezoo said:
Figured!!lol uhh... Duckweed?? I have a feeling most the good floaters are illegal due to the fact that if it would somehow escape your pond and get I a natural water way, it could wreak havoc on native plants!!!

camillezoo

Figured!!lol uhh... Duckweed?? I have a feeling most the good floaters are illegal due to the fact that if it would somehow escape your pond and get I a natural water way, it could wreak havoc on native plants!!!
I've used duckweed but it disappeared (idk how)ill look into again. maybe if I find a legal water lilly I could get one too.

Smalltownfishfriend

camillezoo said:
I've used duckweed but it disappeared (idk how)ill look into again. maybe if I find a legal water lilly I could get one too.
That would work!! Your fish probably ate the duckweed, I can't keep any in my goldfish pond, they eat it by the handful!! I have a large pond down in one of our meadows that it grows in then I just run down there when I need more!!lol

Gourami36

camillezoo said:
yes I am. ill look into that...

what kind of anacharis? on kind is illegal in my state

I think it’s anacharis canadensis but any kind will work

camillezoo

Gourami36 said:
I think it’s anacharis canadensis but any kind will work
ok. this is like the only plant suggested that isn't illegal lolol

Mr. Kgnao

Water hyacinth soaks up a lot of excess nutrients, but also might be illegal to import or own.

Wraithen

Mr. Kgnao said:
Water hyacinth soaks up a lot of excess nutrients, but also might be illegal to import or own.
If you can get a hold of it, water hyacinth also produces chemicals that other plants and most algae can't tolerate. It would soak up a ton of nutrients and kill algae at the same time. Dont let it freeze though or it dies. As in not coming back death.

Lynn78too

Hornwort is supposed to be good. I came on the pond area for advice though so I'm not sure. . What zone are you in?

Latest threads

Top Bottom