Pond In A Pot

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's probably better you never got the paradise fish. You'd have to keep him by himself, as I have mine in a bottle floating in my tank until I rehome him since he LITERALLY ripped the face off of my danio and rendered him blind. Had to euthanize the danio. Feelsbadman
My LFS had mosquito fish so I got some of those today!! They were pretty big and all female so I hope that at least one is pregnant so that they have some babies!

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rosy red minnows are great for the little ponds. They can live in cold weather/ponds and the warm water as well. They'll also eat mosquito larvae. Plus they're less than a quarter each. That barrel is approximately ten gallons, keep that in mind. You also have plants, bricks, and some kind of pump in there, not to mention you don't have the water filled to the top so you really only have about 7 gallons of water. You don't want to put a ton of fish in a 7 gallon tank.

Hone Depot has plants and pumps for sale on the website and free shipping for anything if you spend $49. If you need $40 of plants you can buy an additional $9 of whatever you need, that includes store pick-up items.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How do you come up with only 10 gallons?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
View attachment 438692 Here is what it looks like... I feel like it could use another plant or 2.

I think my brother had a paradise fish once... They sound so familiar! I’ll have to see if I can find one as I know they are similar to Betta Fish and Gourami and Bettas are my #2 favorite haha
What are the 2 floating plants? I love them! Also where did you get them? And also lol can they live in indoor aquariums? (Cold and warm water tanks?)

Edit: I love you gift idea for your dad. Not only is it unique and awesome, but it looks STUNNING I LOVE IT

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
water Lettuce, Water Hyacinth and frog bit. A lot of betta people on YouTube have frog bit and I saw someone used water lettuce too. I'm going to go and get some frog bit for my tank one of these days. I got them at a store in my town that sells water garden stuff.
And TBH I am not sure if he liked it that much, but oh well haha.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How do you come up with only 10 gallons?
Because I bought that one to use for that exact purpose and filled it up with water. It's only 10 gallons. It's quite deceiving. I gave it to my sister for her to use since I wanted something a bit larger.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are the 2 floating plants? I love them! Also where did you get them? And also lol can they live in indoor aquariums? (Cold and warm water tanks?)
thanx 4 the reply!! i have frog bit, but yours looks HUGE!!! i so love it, and the idea all together! i wish a store near me sold water plants. only petco and that 4 towns away, AND, their plants are garbage, well the last time i checked them out, they were.
sorry your dad wasnt as excited as most ppl in this thread lol. you have to remember that most ppl find us fish inthusiests to be odd, annoying, and foolish haha
but I DONT CARE! as im sure you dont either lol. great gift idea again and happy trailing

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2053FFE5-6DF1-47EE-91BE-0906EF51553F.jpeg
Updatedphoto!
Forgive the mess in the back... I’m tubbing fry! And I don’t wash the fence because honestly I can care less haha

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you!
Amazon frog bit, water hyacinth, water lettuce, a taro plant and something in the onion family. That's the one that has the purple flowers. I think they called it water onion, but it doesn't actually have onions. It just smells like onions haha.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you!
Amazon frog bit, water hyacinth, water lettuce, a taro plant and something in the onion family. That's the one that has the purple flowers. I think they called it water onion, but it doesn't actually have onions. It just smells like onions haha.
Nice, I love the onion smell. Lol No fish?

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice! I have so much hair algae that I pull it out by the handfuls on a daily basis. It's disgusting. My water hyacinth roots were strangled by the algae and then probably yanked off when I was pulling the algae out. Needless to say it doesn't look beautiful like yours!

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The water hyacinth roots have such an AWFUL spell huh? lol The plant spreads like crazy too! I don’t have room for all of them haha. But I love looking at the pond with all the minnows and the mosquito fish fry. I wish I had gotten some more unique fish though.

Aqua 59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd have to check if my LFS has Mosquito fish.
Thanks for the offer, but I think shipping from TX to CT would probably be expensive.

I wan to do some floating plants. Something that flowers.
I was thinking of making a half shelf on one side of the bowl with bricks to put pots on.

I'm so excited to make this! My dad's bday isn't for 2 weeks, but I may just do it this week and surprise him with an early present haha.
How about water hyacinths for flowers? Or bog lilies?

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's almost time to start this back up!! My local pond store says it is a bit too early, but I got the "pond" all set up, and filled. It's ready to add the plants!
I also got a new "pond'" from Home Depot
Tazawa Tanks was using these in his fish room, so I figured they would be okay to use! So far it just has some floaters, a few sword plants from my tanks that were struggling a a peace lily. Regardless, I am looking forward to getting the two tubs up and running!

Oh, and I was stupid and never over wintered my plants from last year, so they're dead. Yay. Lame :/

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
0822338F-DB64-44E8-868A-7261FEA572C6.jpeg
B148A8DD-1EE0-4A7C-9F44-4E16940F3B28.jpeg

Well it’s a mess from the rain and it’s cold. It’s maybe 40 degrees and it’s almost the middle of May! That’s why I haven’t gotten my tropicals yet. The peace lily has seen better days too, but it was only $4 so I’m not too worried about it dying. The blue moneywort and creeping Jenny haven’t been planted yet as it is still cold so I can move them in when needed.

The circular one isn’t even level. It’s way off! What a flop start.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The rectangular planter with the creeping jenny - will that be a waterfall eventually?

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
829EC590-22FB-42F4-AEE6-491C5108B4B4.jpeg

One is all planted! Now I just need to finish the second one which was the original pot from last year. Currently it has only a peace lily.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Season 2 update!
The ponds are both finally planted! I have a Black Magic Tarro plant that I put in a small pot else where, which I may move up to the left pot.
pond season 2.jpg

Left side - 2 chameleon plants, 1 peace lily, floating hornwort and creeping jenny, water lettuce, salvinia.
Right pond - Society Onion, Egyptian palm, creeping jenny, water hyacinth, slavinia, Amazon frog bit, pot of terrestrial plant that I don't recall the name of.

Left side is full of Mosquito larvae + dragon fly nymphs. I put in a mosquito fish to try and help with the population control, but within 2 hrs I found him fried to death as he had somehow gotten stuck in the leaves of the water lettuce. Fun! So I put in my female betta Valentina, with hopes that she can control the issue! I think she will love it out there in the pond anyways

Right side, has some mosquito larvae. I was stupid and drilled holes into the sides as drainage, as last year they over flowed constantly from all of the rain. Now I can't keep the water level up, it won't even stay up as high as the drainage holes! The worst issue with this is the HAIR ALGAE! It's growing like crazy. No fish in here. There was a feeder goldfish, but it got ich and died so I am waiting a couple of weeks before adding anything in. I believe next week will be enough time for the ich to die off without being able to find any host. Unsure of what I will want to put in here. Maybe some WCMM ??

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom