Pond In A Pot

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For my dads birthday I am making 'him' a water garden / pond in a pot. It's probably more for me, as I'd like to add some fish to it - but he's German and Germans love their gardening, so I'm saying it's for him haha.

So far I bought this;

But I really am not 100% sure where to go from there. I want to use a filter for it, like from an aquarium. I am not sure if that's okay or what. And to control mosquitoes, the flow of water will discourage them from breeding in there right? Plus getting a fish will also help as they eat the larvae.

But I am not sure if that would even be a good size for fish with the pond plants (I am going to see a water garden expert on how to get plants lol) or what type of fish can live in there. I am kind of afraid of animals eating the fish too. Like would a raccoon go in and eat the fish out of the pond? Or a fox?

So many questions! Sorry!

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can plant it heavily.

I have 200+ mosquitofish that I saved from a drying ditch.

They can live in a pond like that.

I can ship them to you if you cover shipping cost.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd have to check if my LFS has Mosquito fish.
Thanks for the offer, but I think shipping from TX to CT would probably be expensive.

I wan to do some floating plants. Something that flowers.
I was thinking of making a half shelf on one side of the bowl with bricks to put pots on.

I'm so excited to make this! My dad's bday isn't for 2 weeks, but I may just do it this week and surprise him with an early present haha.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wrs2 said:
I'd have to check if my LFS has Mosquito fish.
Thanks for the offer, but I think shipping from TX to CT would probably be expensive.

I wan to do some floating plants. Something that flowers.
I was thinking of making a half shelf on one side of the bowl with bricks to put pots on.

I'm so excited to make this! My dad's bday isn't for 2 weeks, but I may just do it this week and surprise him with an early present haha.
@luckdown is sending my bettas from there as well and I paid $13.65 for the shipping. Not too much if I say so myself for shipping.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's not bad tbh.
I really would've loved to do a fancy gold fish as I had them when I was a kid and miss them, but I am not sure if it would be suited to live in the pot (as they are SO messy!) or if it would be lonely by itself IF it was suited to live in the pot pond.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wrs2 said:
That's not bad tbh.
I really would've loved to do a fancy gold fish as I had them when I was a kid and miss them, but I am not sure if it would be suited to live in the pot (as they are SO messy!) or if it would be lonely by itself IF it was suited to live in the pot pond.
The pond would be too small for a fancy goldfish.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What would you say to be the smallest size for one then? I could always upgrade the pot to a larger one as I haven’t started building the pond yet!

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wrs2 said:
What would you say to be the smallest size for one then? I could always upgrade the pot to a larger one as I haven’t started building the pond yet!
Fancy goldfish prefer company, so around 30-40 gallons would be good for 2.

Try to make it have some swimming space though.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is probably online some where but I suck at google searching, but concrete pavers, are they okay it should I get red bricks to create the shelves to put the marginal plants?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Red bricks are just fired clay were pavers have concrete which could leach lime into the water.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay I will get red bricks! I had pavers and used them to set it up but will get some red one at Home Depot tomorrow! I also think I want to put feeder guppies in this... They are my favorite fish lol

Biev

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could do white cloud mountain minnows or paradise fish? In terms of filtration, I would use a poret filter or "better box" filter, this way it would be nearly invisible. The only thing sticking out of the water would be a small airline you could easily hide among plants. And I'd use an aPump, since they're easily hidden and super quiet. You'd just have one wire to plug somewhere.

You're really making me want to start one of my own... *sigh*

Biev

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wrs2 said:
I also think I want to put feeder guppies in this... They are my favorite fish lol
You're putting this outside, right? With guppies you'd have to make sure the water doesn't get below 63 F.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DBBABCAB-9F12-4E81-884B-D72E25097CB2.jpeg
Here is what it looks like... I feel like it could use another plant or 2.

I think my brother had a paradise fish once... They sound so familiar! I’ll have to see if I can find one as I know they are similar to Betta Fish and Gourami and Bettas are my #2 favorite haha

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The water lettuce and hyacinth will spread in no time. I always feel silly bringing home one of each for my little summer pond because there is so much open water, but within a month I am having to thin them out!

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah that’s what the lady at the store told me. I really wanted to get a water lily but they didn’t have any so I think for time being I will just get one of those fake tetra ones.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where do they sell clay bricks? The Home Depots by me do not carry them,

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My LFS had mosquito fish so I got some of those today!! They were pretty big and all female so I hope that at least one is pregnant so that they have some babies!

Inno

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That looks awesome, and the mosquito fish will do great. I am about to set up my plastic bin for a few tropical's I set out in summer time. The barrel looks so much cleaner lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom