Pond idea

Rich72
So I currently have 2 goldfish in my tank and I plan oncreating a 3300 gallon tank sometime I maybe February or March. I was wondering how I would set it and up and how many and what fish I could have in it. Thanks!

Advertisement
smee82
A few q's begore any one can really help

Where do want it
what materials do you want to use
above or in ground
whats your budget

Advertisement
Rich72
It's going to be in-ground in my yard, I'm gonna use pond liner and idk about the budget

Wraithen
Rich72 There are at least a few people here that have experience somewhat on the scale of pond you are talking about, but we're I you, I would be looking at a ton of other sites and asking in real life. Many nurseries also do ponds and as such may be much more helpful. I've asked them random questions and let them know up front I had no interest in setting one up and I've still always gotten nothing but great answers. I even ask weird things like what size pump, filtration, etc just to price things out. (Maybe one day when I can plan on staying in place for a long time in my forever home...)

Rich72
I'll probably go to my LFS(I swear I'm always there ) and ask about ponds and plants.

Dadio
Building a pond is not just digging a hole or creating a raised box so to speak. First off determine the stock, their environmental needs and then, think from the stocks point of vue and not just the beholder. Ponds are a thing of beauty yes, but built wrong they will and can be a nightmare. The largest I've built for a friend was close to 10,000 gallons and this was built using a clay bed of 24 inches. So there are a number of ways to build a pond but I cannot stress enough that it's more than just a hole holding fish. Check out my pond thread for a little insight.

Advertisement

Rich72
I'm not quite sure about the stocking. You aren't really supposed to mix goldfish and koi right?

Dadio
I'm not quite sure about the stocking. You aren't really supposed to mix goldfish and koi right?

I've never had issues with other species with koi except for fancies and butterfly koi. Koi are faster which can compete for foods not allowing goldies to get feed, but if you spread the feeding of them then this should only be a minor issue. Goldies are always scavenging and will find a lot to feed on once the pond becomes established.

Butterfly koi tend to bully fancies where non-butterfly seem to be ok with them. If the pond structure is large enough and well planned out without it being overstocked then there should be no issues.

Rich72
So for a filter, could I do it kind of like a fountain in the middle?

Wraithen
Do you mean the actual filter in the middle or just the outflow? I'd put the filter in a more accessible place.

Advertisement

Rich72
I was just throwing that out there, I really don't know the options

Wraithen
From watching some TV, the thing I like about ponds is the options are limited purely by imagination. Then I learned about using a pond for aquaponics and my brain had a happy little meltdown.

Rich72
Last night I had so many ideas of place to put a pond then we finally decided

Dadio
First off you need to think out the filtration and you will need a bottom drain or something that can act as a bottom drain. Your 3300g pond needs to do a complete rotation of at least 2 times an hour with a minor stock load. If you go beyond this then the more rotation the better the pond will be. At the least side of things a min 7200gph with satellites or this model http://www.jebao.com/en/displayproduct.html?proID=1430256 which I would suggest the 8500 as a minimum, Again this all depends on how you setup filters and other. That gph means with the shortest distance to filter/falls or fountain. The longer the run on both input and output will drop the gph so that's why it is always better more than not enough will work very well without a bottom drain. So, you need to plan this out rightly or you will end up with a troublesome mess.

Advertisement

Rich72
I have a newbie question but the thing you linked me to, is that a filter for ponds?

Wraithen
Looks like it's only a pump

Rich72
ohhhh to pull the water out and then put that water through a filter and back in?

Dadio
ohhhh to pull the water out and then put that water through a filter and back in?

This is a submersible pump that will help breaking down larger debris before going to a filter. If you've read my thread on my pond you see how I've made use of this running the satellite feed to a veggie cage filter. I've designed my own filtration and my pond is clear and without problems. My koi are in the pond year round even in the winter way up north where I am.

Here's a photo of a votex DIY filter made with a 50 gallon garbage bin, plastic pot scrubbers and scouring pads.

IMG_6712.jpg
IMG_6713.jpg

Feed is fed into the side and down to the bottom where it is split into a T. This forces the water feed to swirl and move upwards through the media to the outflow that then feeds into a bio-filter holding pond. I;m am using enough filtration to be good for a 10000g plus pond structure. Total cost for this filter was under a 100$.

Rich72
I will for sure look into a home made filter

Dadio
I will for sure look into a home made filter

Lot's of options. This filter takes a minimal looking after. The very bottom has a drain valve plus a check valve to stop back flow when the pump is turned off. To clean is simple, put a large airstone in and let it agitate then turn it off and wait 30 minutes. Then open the valve and flush it out to my garden. I then turn the pump on till it fills and do it again. Because it flows upwards from the bottom through the media the top water is very clean. Another of the fave filters is the skippy filter

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
F1sh
Replies
Views
Smalltownfishfriend
Replies
Views
Jojobean
Replies
Views