Pond Heating

Jameseyy
I'm planning out a 5 x 5 x 1 heated pond. It will be in an outhouse built especially for it, so it will be at room temperature as the outhouse will be heated.
This is a 25,000-litre pond (6,600-gallon). I need to heat this to approximately 25 degrees Celsius (77 Fahrenheit), would a pool heater be okay for it, provided its wattage is high enough to reach the temperature, or are they built differently?
I was also wondering how possible it is to build your own heating crate, so to speak. I would do this by buying several high-wattage aquarium heaters and place them in a crate or box, with water flowing through it.

hoseki
Forget about the aquarium heaters. It won't work in a pond at that size.
Not familiar with the pool heater. Are you talking about those gas heater? Call those pool company and ask for recommendation or check out the spec. if you know the model no.

Zigi Zig
You will need to use commercial equipment.. aquarium heater with 300.watts can heat up to 100.gal water so you will need 66 of those LOL

Jameseyy
I was expecting a huge amount of heating, I'm aware heating 66 hundred gallons will be a task lol
hosekI what filtration would you suggest for a 6,600 gallon?

hoseki
What do you mean by outhouse? Is the pond inside a heated structure or it is outdoor?

Jameseyy
Inside a heated structure. I'll construct a building especially for the pond

hoseki
I know you want to keep Silver Shark and some other fish but I am not familiar with them. I myself keep koi. When planning for filtration systems like that, you have to consider how much you are feeding everyday. How many fish you are keeping, there size and there growth rate within the next 1 or 2 years. For ponds of that size, you will have to always consider the flow rate, any dead point, aeration and loading in your pond too. When keeping koi (especially keeping high end koi), some advance hobbyist may have a filtration system 1/3 the size of their pond depending on what filtration systems you are using. I use moving bed system plus bakkI shower and may be bead filters at the same time.

hoseki
Inside a heated structure. I'll construct a building especially for the pond
If the pond is inside a heated structure, you may simply set the room temp to the level that you want and you don't have to particularly put in a heater for the pond itself. Do you really need to be at 25 degree celcius as I am not sure the temperature requirement for those fish that you want to keep?

Jameseyy
I was just researching, and I think I'd try to get a total filtration of having the total volume of the pond being filtered 4 times an hour, so probably four 6,600-gallon per hour filters.
As for biological filtration, I would add biological media to those filters, and give it time to adjust to the fish's bioloads as I add them, making sure there are no nitrites or ammonia in the water. As for nitrates, I would load the pond with plants and mosses etc to absorb as much of the nitrates as they can.
I would close eye on the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels to ensure that the filtration is sufficient to the bioload on the pond

Jameseyy
That temperature is definitely necessary, maybe not exactly that, but around that temperature as they are tropical species and do require warm water. I heat my current tanks to 26 degrees and they're all inside, so I would aI'm to do the same for the pond.
I would first build the pond and monitor the temperature without heaters, and add heaters until the temperature is right

hoseki
That temperature is definitely necessary, maybe not exactly that, but around that temperature as they are tropical species and do require warm water. I heat my current tanks to 26 degrees and they're all inside, so I would aI'm to do the same for the pond.
I would first build the pond and monitor the temperature without heaters, and add heaters until the temperature is right
That makes sense to me. The water in the pond should be more or less the same as the room temperature. Your do need a gas heater if you really have to but it's just a matter of cost.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ThePurpleBoots
Replies
Views
aidanfish2002
  • Flowingfins
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Flowingfins