Question pond fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My pond is three feet deep seven feet long and four feet wide. I have lily pads in it and it has a rock bottom covering the pump. The water flows to a river bed that flows back to the pond. My question is what kind of fish can I put in it.
The thing I worry about is in the summer the water temp will reach high temp because it sees full sun and I live in st louis, that means humidity. For the winter I'm getting a heater so that's not a problem.

So any info would be helpful thanks.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello. Sounds like a beautiful and lively pond.

All I can think of are some Koi's. It'd be a nice pond I'm sure more members will drop by to give their suggestions too. Best of luck!

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Koi and goldfish (common and comet) are adaptable to both high and low temps. In fact, they tend to be able to deal with higher temps than some of our tropicals can (they just don't like to be in constant high water temps).

Last edited:

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My pool gets about 90 degrees in the middle of summer so I think the pond would get the same temp.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My pond can get up into the 90's and my goldfish do just fine. How cool does it get in the winter?

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does it freeze solid all the way to the bottom? or does it just get a layer of ice on top? If it is just a layer of ice, do you know how thick the ice is? If you want to have fish in the pond, you would need to have a way to keep part of the surface of the water open. Goldfish (common, comet, and shubunkin) should be fine as long as there is swimming room under the ice and you can keep part of the surface open for gas exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom