Pond Fish Stocking

AidanGuilliaume

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of building a small pond that will contain about 75 gallons of water and will be 1 foot deep at most. I am considering stocking it with mosquitofish to prevent the breeding of mosquitoes, although I know they breed incredibly quickly and I have no prior experience with fish care whatsoever. Is there any fish species that meets these requirements:

1) Extremely hardy, can survive in a wide range of water temperatures/pH; easy care
( I live in California where the pond will not freeze over, and water temperatures reach highs of 80 degrees fahrenheit)
2) Population can live comfortably in 75 gallons of water(6x2 ft. surface area) and water depth of 1 foot
3) Eats mosquito larvae and eliminates mosquito breeding effectively
4) Does not breed quickly/overpopulate
5) Preferrably lifespan over 1-2 years

If the fast multiplying is inevitable for any fish that meets the first three requirements, how can I prevent the species from overpopulating the pond? Is it an option to regularly catch them and give them to a local pet store/fish breeder?

Also, I will be using tap water to fill up the pond. Do I need to treat it in any way other than dechlorinator/chloramine treatment?

qldmick

Is it warm enough for guppies over winter where you live? They look just as good from above as from the side.
You will still need to add dechlorinator when topping up or changing water.

AidanGuilliaume

qldmick said:
Is it warm enough for guppies over winter where you live? They look just as good from above as from the side.
You will still need to add dechlorinator when topping up or changing water.
I'm not sure as I haven't tested the water temperature in the winter, but air temperatures tend to have an average low of about 40 degrees. Thanks for the response, and I will certainly look into them.

Splunji

AidanGuilliaume said:
Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of building a small pond that will contain about 75 gallons of water and will be 1 foot deep at most. I am considering stocking it with mosquitofish to prevent the breeding of mosquitoes, although I know they breed incredibly quickly and I have no prior experience with fish care whatsoever. Is there any fish species that meets these requirements:

1) Extremely hardy, can survive in a wide range of water temperatures/pH; easy care
( I live in California where the pond will not freeze over, and water temperatures reach highs of 80 degrees fahrenheit)
2) Population can live comfortably in 75 gallons of water(6x2 ft. surface area) and water depth of 1 foot
3) Eats mosquito larvae and eliminates mosquito breeding effectively
4) Does not breed quickly/overpopulate
5) Preferrably lifespan over 1-2 years

If the fast multiplying is inevitable for any fish that meets the first three requirements, how can I prevent the species from overpopulating the pond? Is it an option to regularly catch them and give them to a local pet store/fish breeder?

Also, I will be using tap water to fill up the pond. Do I need to treat it in any way other than dechlorinator/chloramine treatment?
I mean, depending on the size of your filter, and the size you get the fish at, you could fit a few koi in there, maybe. They'll eat mosquitos. Mine do, at least. The likelihood of them breeding is low in that small pond, and they will live comfortably in frozen over, to like 82 degrees in water temp, and wide range of PH. About the 1-2 years lifespan.....koi have been known to live up to 100-200 years xD

Honestly probably not the best fish to suggest for this build, but I love koi a lot.

Foxxway

The guppies/mosquito fish will breed like rabbits, but they legit keep the ponds mosquito free. The upside to that is you can sell the extras on the platform of your choice. Goldfish like comets, feeders can handle a really large temp swing and don't breed as prolifically. Plecos are good too.

Latest threads

Top Bottom