Pond Filter

NicksFishTanks

Say if I wanted to make a pond filter out of a trash can, what material would I have to use to have a good working filter. I’m not sure. I’ve heard many things such as bioballs and lava rocks and filter pads. Also for a 900 gallon above ground pond how many gph pump would I have to have? I live in central Florida and and it gets very cold in the winter, sometimes down to 35°, if I was to put say peacock bass or a fish from south Florida in there how would I heat the pond during the winter to raise the temperature by at least 10-15°, if possible. I’ve heard peacock bass die if the water temperature gets under 55° so I would have to get it as close as I can to that. I would think maybe a small pool heater? Thanks in advance.

AngelsAbove

Hi,
I would suggest using two trashcans if you have the space! The first would be used as a vortex or settlement tank, so that the big gunk (leaves, large poop, or other large debris) doesn't overwhelm your other filtration. This will save you time and money in the long run! Also, always have a bottom drain and skimmer if possible - I don't have either on my koi QT tank and this is a mistake I won't make again. For filter media, I would use a couple layers of matala mat and a moving bed of bioballs underneath. Lava rock/pumice works well too, but its heavy and it was annoying to remove when I had to fix part of the filter.
I would use a pump that turns over the water in the pond 2x an hour. You'll need to do some calculations to figure out what the right pump for your is. Just ignore the part about turning the pond over 1x an hour. I highly recommend 2x an hour, as will most pond owners.
As for heating, I can't help you, I just keep koi who don't need the heat.

jjohnwm

NicksFishTanks said:
...I live in central Florida and and it gets very cold in the winter, sometimes down to 35°....
hahaha .....gasp....hahaha........

AngelsAbove

I thought "down to 35°" and "really cold" in the same sentence was pretty funny too.

NicksFishTanks

[QUOTE="jjohnwm, post: 4273969, member: ahahahahahahahahahahaha......gasp............[/QUOTE]
What’s the point of commenting if your not going to answer my question. 35° is cold for peacock bass.

sanderzzQW

Also for a 900 gallon above ground pond how many gph pump would I have to have? I live in central Florida and and it gets very cold in the winter, sometimes down to 35°, if I was to put say peacock bass or a fish from south Florida in there how would I heat the pond during the winter to raise the temperature by at least 10-15°, if possible. I’ve heard peacock bass die if the water temperature gets under 55° so I would have to get it as close as I can to that. I would think maybe a small pool heater? Thanks in advance.
Just be careful, and do not boil up your fishes. A friend of mine has been doing such thing like adding a heater, but it a lot of fishes couldn't live in such condition. And talking of filters, here is what I've got recently, called Grech CPF-2500 Pond Bio Pressure Filter UVC ( I've got it after reading these pros: ) and some reviews from men who tried it. It works perfectly, and water is really clean, not cloudy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom