Pond filter media

Discussion in 'Pond Filter' started by bbnp, Jul 17, 2015.

1. b

bbnp New Member Member

Hi guys I recently finished my pond and currently working on a diy filter. I have a whole lot of cobblestones and I was wondering if I could break them in smaller pieces and use them as filter media?
    18olt3.jpg

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

That should work. How porous is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

Yes you can. Even if not that porous it has a very rough surface and will provide extra micro-filtration. I use lava rock in my stream bed and also in my veggie cage filter bed. Water is pristine, koi are happy and that makes me happy.

4. OP
    OP
    b

bbnp New Member Member

Hi thanks for the reply. It is a little porous.
    Dadio do you use a uv sterilizer or something? I only use my filter and a waterfall but the water is green. A uv sterilizer is a bit too expensive for me, what are other ways to make the water clear?

5. Dadio

Sounds like you have a very sunny spot. One way to control green water is by using a product called pond tint. It will shade it so to speak thus cutting back the green growth.

Green growth on rock surfaces is good, but it slimy and bubble like then the water is either getting a lot of sun. Increasing pond turnover helps and yes, a good uv clarifier/sterilizer is a real plus. More plants, such as certain types of mosses can be used and other water born plants such as yellow flag iris, cattails and floating plants such as water lettuce greatly help reduce green water. Spring startups of ponds can be normal but once your plants and filters kick in it should be a minimal problem unless such factors and filtration, sunlight and water turnover issues are present.

Can you take a full landscape photo of your pond install? This way I can see more and see what other ideas I can come up with for you.

6. OP
    OP
    b

bbnp New Member Member

Hi I am not home right now so I can't take a picture but yes it has a lot of sunlight and I'll definitely add some more plants. I added lava rocks to the filter because the cobblestone were too hard to break so well see how that goes.

I'll look up the product you mentioned and upload pictures of the pond as soon as I get home. Thanks!

7. OP
    OP
    b

bbnp New Member Member

Dadio here's a picture of the pond.  

It's really not sunny today but the pond usually have a whole lot of sun.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  8. Dadio

Ok, so couple of things from what I can see in the picture.

1) No pond areation
    2) Not enough water circulation from pump to my own liking. What size pump?
    3) No surface agitation

Pond tint will help for the short term if going through a bloom, some floating plants would really help also and give it a little flair. but from what I can see I question if you have enough filtration.

What size of pond (gallons)?
    What type of filters, pumps and where are they set?

I'd increase pond circulation, enlarge the waterfall using maybe a diy or bought waterfall filter. I'd also add some height to the waterfall so that it can agitate the water better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice