Pond Build

madisons obbsession

I decided that this summer I am going to create a small pond. I ordered a 7 x 10 ft. liner and the website says that you can creat a 200 gallon pond with it, but that sounds a bit big to me for the size of the liner. Does that sound correct? Also, since I am on a tight budget, I decided to use a very strong sponge filter and air pump. Would that work? Lastly, since I plan to stock it with fancy goldfish, I need to cycle it quickly because the store I plan to buy the fish from gets one order of fancys a year, and they go quick. Is seachem stability reliable for a under two week cycle?

maggie thecat

The volume of a pond is determined by length × width × height. So depending on the dimensions of the pond, that could be plenty or not enough. Did the website mention suggested sizes?

How big of a sponge filter and what is the airpump rated at? You want a vigorous turnover of your water because goldfish are heavy waste producers. Even with a heavily planted tank I'd be concerned about the filtration being adequate.

madisons obbsession

The volume of a pond is determined by length × width × height. So depending on the dimensions of the pond, that could be plenty or not enough. Did the website mention suggested sizes?

How big of a sponge filter and what is the airpump rated at? You want a vigorous turnover of your water because goldfish are heavy waste producers. Even with a heavily planted tank I'd be concerned about the filtration being adequate.
The sponge filter is about 8 inches tall and 5 wide. The air pump is a tetra whisper 40-60, but I figured since I will also be running a few air stones for circulation, I would think it would be enough. Should I get a more powerful pump? A $50+ filter is not an option right now, but I would be able to do several sponge filters and a stronger pump.
No, the website did not mention suggested sizes, only that it could go up to 200 gallons.

madisons obbsession

The sponge filter is about 8 inches tall and 5 wide. The air pump is a tetra whisper 40-60, but I figured since I will also be running a few air stones for circulation, I would think it would be enough. Should I get a more powerful pump? A $50+ filter is not an option right now, but I would be able to do several sponge filters and a stronger pump.
No, the website did not mention suggested sizes, only that it could go up to 200 gallons.

madisons obbsession

the website said the liner could fit up to 200 gallons, that's it.
the sponge filter is about 8 x 5 inches. I also have several large airstones. The pump is a tetra whisper 40-60. If I need to get a stronger pump or another sponge filter I will, but I don't have the money right now to buy a $50+ pond filter and pump.

Whoops, didnt realize the first one posted

maggie thecat

I did a quicky shufty at home depot. Someone kindly provided the measurements of their pond and it was 2ft×2.5 × 5.5 . (Above ground) There was also a suggestion by a rep from the liner company to use a pond volume calculator and punch numbers until you're happy with the dimensions.

Two things to keep in mind when doing your calculation:

You want it to be at least 2 feet deep. Deeper if it freezes where you are and you want to overwinter outside.

You want to provide some overlap with the bank or lip of the pond so you can anchor the liner.

I think you are going to be underfiltered. You would be for a 200 gallon aquarium, at any rate.

Ponds being somewhat different animals, I think, and this is strictly an opinion, you could make up the level of filtration by planting the everloving tar out of the thing with hornwort, anacharis, water lettuce and hyacinth. Etc.

You need plants anyway for shade.

Given the cost of plants, unless you have a source for freebies, the cost may be a wash.

Maybe a more experienced pond person can offer additional suggestions / advice / insight.

Good luck!

madisons obbsession

I did a quicky shufty at home depot. Someone kindly provided the measurements of their pond and it was 2ft×2.5 × 5.5 . (Above ground) There was also a suggestion by a rep from the liner company to use a pond volume calculator and punch numbers until you're happy with the dimensions.

Two things to keep in mind when doing your calculation:

You want it to be at least 2 feet deep. Deeper if it freezes where you are and you want to overwinter outside.

You want to provide some overlap with the bank or lip of the pond so you can anchor the liner.

I think you are going to be underfiltered. You would be for a 200 gallon aquarium, at any rate.

Ponds being somewhat different animals, I think, and this is strictly an opinion, you could make up the level of filtration by planting the everloving tar out of the thing with hornwort, anacharis, water lettuce and hyacinth. Etc.

You need plants anyway for shade.

Given the cost of plants, unless you have a source for freebies, the cost may be a wash.

Maybe a more experienced pond person can offer additional suggestions / advice / insight.

Good luck!
thankyou!
Sorry I was gone for so long, my internet clonked out. I have decided tat I am buying a larger air pump and another jumbo filter. My local nursery sells pond plants extra cheap, so that will not be a problem.

maggie thecat

No worries. Stuff happens. Good luck with your pond!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• UglyAsian
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
UglyAsian
Replies
Views
qldmick
  • WRWAquarium
  • Ponds
Replies