Question Pond/bladder Snail Question

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do pond/bladder snails need fully cycled water to breed? Had a few (welcomed) stow always in a tank that's currently cycling (fishless) and wanted to know if I should remove them to safer waters?
1556034347642.jpg

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
My ramshorn and bladder snails breed just fine in a 2.5 gallon tank with nothing but an airstone for aeration and a pothos plant to help clean the water. I think your hitch hikers will be fine.

I did want to point out. You aren't cycling the water. You are cycling the tank. Bacteria doesn't live in the water but grows on all the surfaces in the tank.

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
My ramshorn and bladder snails breed just fine in a 2.5 gallon tank with nothing but an airstone for aeration and a pothos plant to help clean the water. I think your hitch hikers will be fine.

I did want to point out. You aren't cycling the water. You are cycling the tank. Bacteria doesn't live in the water but grows on all the surfaces in the tank.
Yeah, that was a poor choice of words on my end XD
I won't worry about the hitch hikes then and leave them be

Guanchy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh no, you will soon find out lol. They don't need much to breed. I started with like 2 and overran my 10 gallon in just a few months.

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Guanchy said:
oh no, you will soon find out lol. They don't need much to breed. I started with like 2 and overran my 10 gallon in just a few months.
XD glad to know. I need them for a puffer so this saves me some trouble

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
After my assassin snails finished off all the ramshorns in my 55 I started wondering what I was going to feed them. Although they will eat something other than other snails I figured they would appreciate some of their favorite food from time to time.

I found a few ramshorns in one of my filters that the assassins couldn't get to. I moved them to the 2.5 gallon jar and they have steadily multiplied. I pull a few out each week for the assassins.

The main reason folks have such a hard time getting rid of pest snails in their tanks is because they can breed and survive in all kinds of conditions. Being in there while cycling shouldn't hurt yours at all.

New Threads