Pond,Biofilter,Cascade

opusgamma
HI guys coming to your form nice tropical Dominican Republic.
I have been in this hobby for over 15years now, I have done reef thanks to simple plated freshwater tanks..
For some reason I have always wanted to do a pond and Now have found myself in that position...
In this thread I will try to document my progress and ask for some suggestion.. and hope to accomplish a nice ecosystem for fish and plants to thrive in my small back yard....
So far I have done the follwoing
-selected the area where to place the pond
-monitor the area during the whole day to figure out if it get the sunlight it needs
-selected my materials
-done initial pluming-
-seal the ponds
-have let my concrete cure for a few month and have check for leaks
-read to move to the next step..
Here is where I l be asking for all the help as possible

One thing to keep in mind is that I need this pond to consume the least amount of electricity as possible since we have a large electric bill as is and wife made me promise..to keep it low on the monthly cost..........
pictures will follow shortly....
my humble thanks to all that will contribute to making this project work..
thanks from Albin,Mia and Karina...

bettafish2816
that's incredible! what kind of fish are you putting in there?

we'll all be waiting for pics

and if I haven't said it before, welcome to fishlore!

Lucy
Welcome to Fish Lore
Your project sounds pretty cool! Have you considered starting a blog for it?

opusgamma
[/IMG]
its a L shape concrete pond with straight walls...so its like a little pool..

opusgamma
[/IMG]
its a L shape concrete pond with straight walls...so its like a little pool..

opusgamma
agabr123 said:
that's incredible! what kind of fish are you putting in there?

we'll all be waiting for pics

and if I haven't said it before, welcome to fishlore!
hanks for the encouragement.. il be posting pics in a few minutes as soon I get this picture attachment to work...
Fish..well ...since I can't ship them in to keep cost and the wife happy might go to local rives and get some that have colors... or would love to get ideas for you guys... but we are still a couple of weeks way form putting fish in.. fist we need to work on some pluming ...to make it circle without using electricity...(if possible)

opusgamma

91.jpg

Bio filter will overflow in to the main tank to oxygenate water..plus the plants will filter the water..

opusgamma

91.jpg

Bio filter will overflow in to the main tank to oxygenate water..plus the plants will filter the water..

bettafish2816
how many gallons will it be?

if I had to suggest something, it would definitely be the shubunkin goldies, they are GORGEOUS! i've been doing some research on them recently and would love to have some in a 180.

if it's 1000+ gallons then koi would be awesome, i've always wanted some

opusgamma

92.jpg

ground drainage for maintenance....

opusgamma

93.jpg

other part of the L shape...

opusgamma
cool let me reaserch it

agabr123 said:
how many gallons will it be?

if I had to suggest something, it would definitely be the shubunkin goldies, they are GORGEOUS! i've been doing some research on them recently and would love to have some in a 180.

if it's 1000+ gallons then koi would be awesome, i've always wanted some
Cool , thanks for the suggestion:; and let me check with my local supplier and see if they have them...
I will measure tomorrow but the pond look pretty big and will be more than 1000 gallons if I count the biofilter...

bettafish2816
these are the goldies i'm talking about. they come in three different types (american/japanese, bristol, and london).

opusgamma
will many read it?

Lucy said:
Welcome to Fish Lore
Your project sounds pretty cool! Have you considered starting a blog for it?
Thanks Lucy for the suggestion and welcoming to the Forum...
If I create a blog will I get the sames response as using this thread?.. the whole idea is to have current members help me out and use it so new builders (ponds enthusiast0 will know what worked for me...

opusgamma

94.jpg

better view of project so far

opusgamma

95.jpg

as you can see I did it with thick walls.. al pure concrete.. and 1/2 rebars

opusgamma
cna they live with angel fish?

agabr123 said:
these are the goldies i'm talking about. they come in three different types (american/japanese, bristol, and london).
Cool I have seen these here in my pet shop...can the live with Angel Fish...?

bettafish2816
opusgamma said:
Cool I have seen these here in my pet shop...can the live with Angel Fish...?
probably not, angels are really sensitive to water conditions and the temperature changes in a pond probably wouldn't be the best for them. and goldies are coldwater fish and angels are tropical

opusgamma
Hummmm
I live I nthe Dominican Republican.. I na valley where our winter whiter its in the Mid 70's and Summer I nthe high 90,s...so what do you suggest...

opusgamma
how about Arawonas?

bettafish2816
arowannas are really, really neat. they get really big though (i've heard up to 4 feet!). what kind of heating/cooling system do you have? are you planning on trying to keep a more steady temp, or just letting it fluctuate?

opusgamma
I ma looking at as natural to my area as possible....my original idea was to keep it low budget on the monthly bill.
Here everything is double of what it should be....
So far no heater to be put on the pond.. so life stock needs to be able to suriver on water temperature changes...,,,

bettafish2816
in that case, your best bet is probably goldfish or maybe koi.

what kind of fish are local to your area?

gremlin
The shubunkins would be good - koi and plants don't mix. Koi are notorious plant eaters. Goldies will eat some of the plants also, but not as much as the koi do. My concern would be the concrete. It will have to be resealed every couple of years or it will leak. Are you going to seal it with a latex or rubber type of sealant? There are some products that can waterproof it, but I'm not sure how expensive it would be. There is a product called Great Stuff that has one version that is specific for ponds and is pet safe. Here is a link to it: I don't know if this is available in your area or not, but it may help. Our pond that was made of concrete started leaking into the house so it now has a preformed plastic liner.

opusgamma
Sorry guys let me give you the briefs about my back yard...
When I moved here It was fill of plantains and Yuca plants...
I wanted to have a outdoor scape since I work from home..
SO I got creative and did some research ..and came up with what you see so far in the picture...
so far I am done with the building of the vessel it self.. no more concrete... Now I need ot figure out if I can use a siphon to pull water from main tank to biofilter...
so that my plants(commign soon ) will be able to do their job..
I am trying to avoid using a pump...for this...
This pond will have many local water plants found around my neighborhood Rio Yaque.. so filtration in a way will be taken care by the plants.....

opusgamma
I have use a Polyurethane base seller so far that it was sold to be friendly.. its use here to seal cistern where we keep tap water.. so I figure it would be good for the pond...
I ma also looking at placing river rocks on the bottom of the tank so it will serve as a additional place to grow plants...
Goldies are looking like the winer so far.. any other suggestions..

opusgamma
Ah.. When we pour the concrete to make the shell..we did 9in on the bottom and 7 o nth side wall....just be safe.....I have it fill up for 4 month just to see water level and to test the concrete... and so far no problems....

gremlin
opusgamma said:
Ah.. When we pour the concrete to make the shell..we did 9in on the bottom and 7 o nth side wall....just be safe.....I have it fill up for 4 month just to see water level and to test the concrete... and so far no problems....
I'm glad there are no problems. One more hint - if you ever have to drain the pond completely, don't let it dry out all the way or the concrete may crack. We had that happen too.

opusgamma

99.jpg

HI guys ill be posting the early construction pictures so you have an idea of what I done so far..

opusgamma

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

opusgamma
Question guys;
Should I lay down a layer of Sand and river rock to serve a a bio filter and place to plant ?or just put everything in containers?
I want a natural look inside...
thnkas
ALbin
OpusGamma
Santiago Dominican Republic

Red1313
One idea for another fish for the pond could be a few Paradise fish. They've very tolerant of water tempatures they can't over winter like goldies but with you're temps they would be ok. might be slightly concerned about the summer temp if the water's get up to 30*C but I don't know if that would happen very often or not.

gremlin
I wouldn't worry about sand, it might get caught in your pump. You could put some large river rock in the bottom. My pond is just bare bottom. My lillies are in bags. I used mesh net with a few rocks to anchor the roots, and the roots draw all the nutrients they need right from the water. it would depend on what plants you want in your pond. I would say use pots. It would be easier to rearrange, and if you ever needed to do a major clean, it would be easier to set the plants out then back in.

I'm not sure how you could get the water to circulate without a pump of some kind. Maybe a solar pump? It would be a bit more expensive for the purchase, but cheaper to run.

opusgamma
are there any energy saving pumps available on the market today?
thanks about the sand..
I get a few m2 of river rock from my local suplier.. to start the aquascaping.
I was looking at using the sumrgial pumps that also give a fountain effect to do some circulation, plus the Bio filter will spill in the main thank.

gremlin
You might consider a swimming pool pump. I'm sure they have energy efficient ones, and it would be able to pump a large volume of water. You could even split it so part goes to the Bio filter and part can go to other water features like a fountain or a separate waterfall or stream.

opusgamma
Thanks gremlin
I'am planing a trip to the Local pool suplier to get his take on a pump that will move 2500-3000 gallons per hour.. so I nca ciculate water...
I ma also goin to lay down some flagstone o nthe edge of the bio filter so It cna serve as a cascade also and oxyginate the water.....

gremlin
opusgamma said:
Thanks gremlin

I ma also goin to lay down some flagstone o nthe edge of the bio filter so It cna serve as a cascade also and oxyginate the water.....
You are very welcome

Be careful what rock you use - sandstone (and some of the other "flagstone" rocks) will wear away with the water running over them. They will also absorb the water and let it soak down in and away. Also, some of the slates have natural oils in them, so they leave an oily film on the water. I tried making a small waterfall out of "flagstone" that fell apart because the water soaked in and dissolved the stone where I had it cemented together.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom