Pond Algae Question

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by bolivianbaby, Mar 22, 2010.

1. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

My friend has an outdoor pond. Someone told him that he could put either barley, oats, or wheat in a net to combat algae. He has around 12 "feeder" goldfish (he has a big heart) in the pond. I'm pretty sure it's a 300 gallon pond.

Has anyone ever heard of this and would there be any negative side effects to either the water parameters or the fish?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I've heard of putting barley blocks in to combat algae. So I did some searching and this is what I found

quoting from the article- " barley produces minute amounts of hydrogen peroxide which kills newly forming algae. The old algae will die on it's own."
    from personal experience hydrogen peroxide won't harm fish so who knows maybe it will work.

Carol

3. Tana

Tana Valued Member Member

Barley bales do work but it breaks down very slowly before it starts to be effective. They have liquid barley extract that works a lot sooner and you don't have to mess with fishing the used bales out of the pond. I use it now and the BF uses it religiously for years and it has never harmed his fish or plants.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you ladies! I'll get this information to him. He heard about it and wanted to check before he used it to make sure there were no side effects.

5. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

I have used barley straw, it works great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice