Polypterus Palmas Palmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I saw this amazing fish at the LFS yesterday, have been researching it, and have definitely decided it is going to be my centerpiece fish in the tank. They are a very cool looking fish!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are cool! How big do they get ?
Carol

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
12" is the max size but most get 8-10"

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Go get it! They can grow up to 13" but expect less than this.

I recently found 2 Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri mislabeled as P lapradei in a LFS. I took home both (a bit under 7" SL). I lost one of them due to her "escape artist" skills (through a small opening at the HOB area). I am working designing a tank for endlis and hope to order at least six more.

Some people have had success with fish such as Silver Dollars. In general fish that are bigger than their mouth and somewhat fast swimmers. Although there's a phenomena in which a Bichir attacks fish bigger than expected that is called Death Roll...

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

They are considered piscivorus but some fishkeepers have managed to get their bichirs to go with sunken pellets.

Hope you get it!

LauraMillar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
we have one in our big 2 and 1/2 TON tank at work at is alot larger than 13" more like going on 2 foot id be careful, its in with silver dollors, silver sharks, large angels, a full grown oscar, and a serinemensis and believe it or not one lone swordtail (poorthing)

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well laura that depends on the type of polypterus species you get. I've researched the different ones and have no intention on getting one that grows bigger than 14".

Pepe, I am getting one and I'm looking for fish to go with it. My fiancee doesn't care for Silver Dollars, so we were thinking maybe two firemouth cichlids and one other species to go with it. Luckily the LFS said their Polypterus are already loving to eat pellets, but we'll give them the occasional snack now and then of live food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom