Polymer Clay Tank Decor

Girlygreen

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I’m interested in making a polymer clay hellmouth for a blind cave tetra tank. I figure they won’t see it so they won’t be scared, but it would be super eerie to have a cave made out of faces that they can swim around in.

Has anyone used polymer clay in aquarium decorations before?

Is it inert or does it alter parameters?

Would I be better off sculpting the clay, making a mold and then cast it in resin?

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've made a polymer clay "log" and painted it, but haven't put it in an aquarium yet because I wanted to seal the paint and haven't been able to find something I'm 100% certain will work, is safe, and affordable. I've read that epoxy can be used. To be honest, I've been too afraid to go any further in case I mess up, waste money, or kill fish
But all my research has indicated that once fully baked, polymer clay is inert.

OP
Girlygreen

Girlygreen

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, I could just buy polymer clay in the color I want to work with or mix it together myself.

I’ve had luck with acrylic paint on a decoration that was specifically made for aquariums, but it doesn’t last long. Might try marine epoxy, but then it would be weird and shiny.

Oooh, maybe I could mix very fine sand in with the epoxy, or dust it on the top as it dries, and then it wouldn’t be shiny.

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's been my biggest problem: finding a sealant that isn't whiny. I don't want shiny rocks and wood.
Um. I mean shiny, not whiny

OP
Girlygreen

Girlygreen

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh wait! I am such a colossal bonehead. I could seal it with a very thin layer of aquarium safe silicone.

I will have to do some tests to see how thin it has to be to keep the paint sealed but not look too chunky.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is now a dish washer safe type of Mod Podge. I have herd of people using it for aquarium items, I would personally do more research Before I used it but, dishwasher safe is ment to be in water.

hedgiemom

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Poly Resin Decor:
I too was wondering if this little Buddha would be OK to put into a tank? The description says made of fine poly resin. Could I paint it with Krylon Fusion paint and make it aquarium safe? Has anyone else tried this?

Attachments

New Threads