Polyguard And Corydoras

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by GlamCrab, Apr 15, 2017.

1. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

so my little sister's betta has.. Something. he has clamped fins and said fins looked shorter then before... im going to try to save him with polyguard. but now im worried about the little salt and Pepper cory in her aquarium.. should i remove them? they can go in my 23 gallon for the time of the treatment. they show no signs of anything. just the betta.
    image.png
    (The betta)

i decided to put the 4 salt and Pepper corydoras in a breeding net in my tank just to be safe. told my sister and she got mad at me because 'i stole her fish'. she litteraly said she expected the betta to die.. she dint even want to TRY to save it. just "buy another one when it dies"

i am more then annoyed (at her)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

The Betta is female not male :D first off what size is the tank? And yes remove the Cories, meds should only be used on cories as a last resort. I do not reccomend putting them under heavy stress from medication as it is fatal. This is how I've lost cories. Please do move your sister's Cories to your 23. It will save them from whole host odf problems

3. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

the aquarium is 10 gallon, (it also has juvenile platies, it was their growout tank. they'll be moved out soon)
    you think its female? odd.. it looked male when it was younger.

IMG_0247.JPG
    (thats the same betta but younger)

i had moved the corries but thank you for confirming what i thought..

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It could have fin rot, which would explain the shorter fins.

What are the water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?

It could also be the platies nipping him, or stressing him out and making him more susceptible to diseases.

I would get him his own tank as soon as possible, and do 50% water changes daily or every other day for a few weeks to help him heal.

5. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

Unfortunately, i dont have a test kit (my parents would rather go to the petshop then buy one.)

Its my sister's tank and.. She doesnt do water changes. (i did do one last week i decided to start caring for those fishies.)

I can totally do all those water changes, i dont mind of it means saving the betta... I dont want to give up on iT

(I have never seen the platies nip him. But they might be stressing him out in another way.. The betta doesnt even try to get food at the surface the platies are too fast)

6. TexasDomer

You definitely should do water changes. I would do 50% weekly for maintenance, but do daily or every other day for a few weeks to help the betta heal (then you can go back to the 50% weekly).

7. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

Then i'll take up the maintenance for my sister's tank. I just wish i had checked up on the tank sooner.. I could have caught this early

8. Tyler Fishman

Hard to tell. Can't see if he/she has an eggspot, If so it's female, if not Its male But I'm afraid those cories cannot live in a 10 gallon, it's way to small. I'd consider your 23 a permanent home. As long as the fish are compatible. I'd suggest Pygmy cories for your sister[/QUOTE]

9. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

[/QUOTE]

Huh.. I thought Corydoras Habrosus were in the dwarf/pygmy category. They get 3 cm when adults. Oh well. My mistake

10. Tyler Fishman

Oops salt and pepper my mistake. They are Fine

11. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Try doing daily water changes and feeding him good food plus providing an stress free environment, that means no bright lights, slow current, hiding places and preferably no tankmates.
    I would do that before using any meds. As for polyguard I dont know, it has malachite green I have seen malachite green being used in corydoras without a problem. As for the other active ingredients, I dont know. You can call them to ask the question to the technician or just dose and check the corydoras for any sign of stress.
    If you go the meds route be sure to have a lot of surface agitation, an airstone would help.
    Good luck.

12. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

Its fine :p
    the little guys came from the LFS, they caught my attention because of their small size. I looked them up and found them perfect for the 10 gallon

13. TexasDomer

I wouldn't add any cories to the tank. Cories aren't appropriate for a 10 gal, and the small ones (C. habrosus, C. hastatus, and C. pygmaeus) aren't temperature compatible with bettas.

14. BeanFish

Not a betta expert but is it inmoral to keep a Betta at 25 Celsius? What temp do you guys keep your Bettas at? 30? I feel 25 is OK for bettas, not too warm and not cold.

15. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

I keep my betta at 30c..i find that better

16. BeanFish

30 Celsius? Wow. Fish soup? Lol jk.
    To each of his own I guess, high temperatures will definitely make fish more active and enjoyable. If I were to keep a Betta I would keep him at 25 Celsius.
    There is a lot of controversy on the temp, some say high temperatures will shorten their life span, other say low temperatures will freeze them... but at the end of the day it is all about what works best for each fishkeeper.

17. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

Yeah I agree.. But when i had my betta in a tank of 26c temperature, he got the ick parasite so I increased it to 30. Since then I have kept the same temperature.

18. Tyler Fishman

Bettas can live in a room tempature room and still be fine. As long as the water doesn't drop below 67 degrees Bettas are fine. The Whole active thing is nonsense, it depends on the environment. Of course I'd never keep Bettas in anything lower than 75 degrees.

19. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

30C is for curing ich, but maintaining at that level is not healthy for the Betta. I used to breed them at about 27C, but maintained them at 25.

20. BeanFish

The whole active thing is not non-sense, all fish will be more active the higher the temperature is as their metabolism will be faster but it also does depend in the environment I would guess. Give the Betta crappy water and not even at boiling temperature will he be active.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice