Poll on Malaysian trumpet snails Question

?

Will your fish graze on food that MTS have touched?

1. Always

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Usually

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Sometimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rarely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

This is a poll for people who have trouble with Malaysian trumpets (MTS) in their fish tanks. I'm gathering anecdotal data to see if it supports a friend's loose hypothesis.

He runs a large laboratory in the biology department where they study tropical fish. MTS have gotten into some of the tanks, and they are a real problem in experiments where the researchers need to track the amount of food that the fish eat and the waste that they produce. It appears that the fish will not eat the food once the snails reach it. Our friend hypothesizes that the snails leave some kind of cue on the food that keeps the fish away.

So for those of you who have and MTS and tanks with fish that graze, let us know if they will eat after the snails have passed through.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

My corys will happily eat food that the Mts have touched & my Oto's will share their courgette with them

3. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Good point!

For those of you whose fish will share with MTS, tell us what kind of fish they are. perhaps bottom dwellers don't care or only certain fish are this picky. Maybe my friend's situation has to do with the particular species that he is researching.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I said "usually" but I think it needs a qualifier.

I keep wild bettas. Wild bettas eat snails. Therefore wild bettas probably don't care what MTS might leave on the food, because they are gonna eat it. And then they are gonna eat the MTS.

I have also seen in the past platies, swordtails, endler/guppy hybrids graze food from the bottom of the tank when MTS are present, one swordtail even stole a fallen flake from a snail to eat it.

Are there fish that won't eat food after MTS have touched it? I don't know. Possibly. But with livebearers and wild bettas, IME, nothing on this earth will stop them from eating the stuff they want to eat.

Edit: Might I ask what species your friend's experiment/study involves? Maybe I should get an MTS colony going in the new Jenynsia Onca tank once it's up and running and do a little study of my own.

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I was wondering if somebody with Endler's would say that theirs will graze after MTS. They are such pigs after all. I'm not surprised about any of the others in your list. I will try to find out which fish are not doing this at the lab.

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Haha yeah, before they got sick, the endlers would eat anything and everything regardless of whose mouth it was already in... LOL.

7. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Anyone else with snails in their tanks? Don't forget to take the poll if you have MTS with fish.

8. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

my shrimp cichlids guppies and angels have no problem stealing the food from the snails . Even the tetras get in on it sometimes

9. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Anyone else with snails? So far, we have three people with fish that disprove the hypothesis. Can we get another 97 to make this less than purely anecdotal?

I myself cannot disprove this one as I have yet to get Malaysian trumpet snails. New that I said *yet*. ;)

10. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Sorry, EC. I haven't had MTS in my tank in years. I did have a 150 when I was a kid. That had MTS in it because I also had clowns in the tank. Now, I have a 55. No clowns = no MTS for this guy. But when I did have them, I do not remember it being an issue.

11. TKDennison Member Member

My gouramis don't seem to care.

12. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Now I'm beginning to wonder what fish, if any, refused to eat after any snails at all. i'm pretty sure it was one of the common pests, and I know that it could not have been regular pond snails or ramshorns as my fish have no trouble eating after these guys.

On that topic, has anybody here ever had any kind of freshwater fish refused to eat food that any kind of Snail had touched?

And if you haven't taken the Malaysian trumpet snail poll yet, please do ;)

13. shelleyd2008 Well Known Member Member

I make my own 'wafers' for my snails, which are made of primarily collard greens and spirulina algae. The guppies, swordtails, BN pleco, and goldfish will push the snails off the food to get a bite. I don't think they really care :)

Edit to add that I think the bigger issue with your friend's study is the fact that MTS will eat the waste of other critters. So if s/he is doing a study to see how much waste fish produce based on the amount of food consumed, the MTS cruising around and eating the waste of the fish will throw a wrench in the works also.

Just an FYI, MTS will also eat Mystery snails' waste ;)

14. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

shelleyd2008
    Thanks for your input! I love how you cook so healthily for your snails--if only I could get my kid to eat collard greens :p you are correct, Snails really throw off the experiments by eating the food, the fish poop, and making their own waste.

By the way, I was surprised the other day to notice that the pesky ramshorns in my first generation female Endler tank were eating up the Repashy gel, and the girls wouldn't go near them. I was so surprised as this is not typical female Endler behavior. This was the especially aggressive tank of girls who ate everything and everyone. Sadly, there are only nine left.

Have you noticed Fish reacting this way to ramshorns on their food also?

15. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I didn't vote since 'I don't know' is not an option. lol

I have seen my otos and mst on the same algae wafer at the same time.
    Whether they bother with them after the mts, I have no idea.

I doubt there's any leftovers for the otos!

16. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Only six people have responded to the poll this far, so now I think I should have written it differently. I wonder if most people have not noticed an issue with them. But that could also mean that fish are not being bothered by them getting on the food.

17. smee82 Well Known Member Member

My little brother bred Angels for years with mts and i don't think he ever had a problem with them not eating food. I didn't vote as i don't know for sure as the weren't my fish.

18. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Only 6 people have responded to the poll, so if you can't get your brother to do it, maybe you could answer for him. I won't tell on you...

19. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

I have MTS in my 40 tall. But I have not seen them sence I put them in so I couldn't tell you if the fish care or not lol :p

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

20. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Did you fish eat them? :0