Poll , How Do You Do Refill Tank After A Water Change

What method do you use to dechlorinate/treat water when refilling your tank?

  • Dechlorinate water in a separate container, wait 10min or longer, then add water to tank.

    Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Dechlorinate water in a separate container, then add water to the tank within 10 min

    Votes: 37 47.4%
  • Add dechlorinator and water to tank at the same time as fresh water.

    Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Treat the tank water with dechlorinator, then add tap water directly to tank.

    Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Dechlorinate after adding new water.

    Votes: 6 7.7%
  • I don't dechlorinate

    Votes: 6 7.7%

  • Total voters
    78

Wickette

Active Member
Member
Messages
266
Reaction score
76
Location
New York City suburbs
Experience
More than 10 years
There are several techniques used to dechlorinate(or treat)* and refill water in your tank.

Some people don't take chances and make sure the water is dechlorinated, the dechlorinator has had time to spread everywhere.

Large chains dump tap water in the tank, then dechlorinator. What is your practice, why?
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,457
Reaction score
16,989
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't dechlorinate. No need as I have a well so I pump my own water out of the ground.
 

JamieLu

Well Known
Member
Messages
895
Reaction score
483
Location
Kansas
Experience
2 years
I dechlorinate my bucket of water for my 15gal tank then add it. But my 75 I use a python and dechlorinate the tank right before refilling it
 

TheeLadyG

Well Known
Member
Messages
705
Reaction score
751
Location
Chicago
Experience
1 year
I use a python for my water changes, so I refill tap water directly into my tank from my bathroom and add the tank's worth of dechlorinator at the same time so that it mixes together! I use a thermometer to test the water and try to get it within one degree of the tank. The fish never even seem to notice that there's tap water going into their tank.
 

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,727
Reaction score
4,286
Location
Your Imagination
Experience
5 years
I put prime in my bucket, fill my bucket, empty my bucket into the tank, repeat. Except I usually just do the full prime dose in the first bucket since its easier.
 

kgoerg

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
18
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sure we all have our own methods and preferences. I change 25% of water in my tanks every week. I use the syphoned out water to water my indoor and outdoor plants - great plant nutrients. I use a digital meat thermometer to measure the tank water so that I know the tank temp and added water are measured by the same thermometer. I fill a 3G bucket as close to the tank temp that I am changing as possible - within .3 degree (3 tenths). I add API Stress Zyme +, Quiick Start and dechlor because I have city water - stir well and dump it in. Been doing it that way for many years.
 

ystrout

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,526
Reaction score
920
Location
San Diego
Experience
4 years
I change 20 gallons of water each week in my 75 gallon tank.

I fill up two 5 gallon buckets at a time, de-chlorinate them, then siphon the water back into the tank. I don't wait 10 minutes, but I stir the water really good and go scroll through instagram for a minute or two to let the Prime work. I know this isn't necessary, but I'm paranoid like that. Lol.

My real issue is that I've had this 75 gallon tank over a year, and I still stand on a chair/stool and hold the bucket above the tank so I can siphon the water back in. It would cost me like $50 to get a 20 gallon bucket and an automatic pump. But for some reason, I'm still doing it manually.
 

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,635
Reaction score
8,089
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
I dechlorinate the buckets before I add the water to the tank.
 

Esimm03

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
906
Location
London, UK
Experience
3 years
I fill my sw tank up by filling the sump and pumping it up to the DT from there, idk if it's the best but it works, for my fw tank I just lift the bucket and pour it in!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Wickette

Wickette

Active Member
Member
Messages
266
Reaction score
76
Location
New York City suburbs
Experience
More than 10 years
JamieLu said:
I my 75 I use a python and dechlorinate the tank right before refilling it
I saw a youtube video saying to do this, it seems iffy, I played with prime in the lab today (where I work). I was only used prime, and distilled water with nothing other than chlorine. Added prime a lot of prime to a half flask, kept adding chlorinated water, its kept neutralizing the chlorine (I did it 5 times over 3 hours, worked every time). Id like to see if it works for days, but Id get in trouble if someone saw my using the lab equipment for this purpose.

ystrout said:
I don't wait 10 minutes, but I stir the water really good and go scroll through instagram for a minute or two to let the Prime work. I know this isn't necessary, but I'm paranoid like that. Lol.

My real issue is that I've had this 75 gallon tank over a year, and I still stand on a chair/stool and hold the bucket above the tank so I can siphon the water back in. It would cost me like $50 to get a 20 gallon bucket and an automatic pump. But for some reason, I'm still doing it manually.
I should have written wait 10min OR stir... let the dechlorinator reach everywhere.


I don't think you're being paranoid. I was playing with it in the lab, which is what inspired the poll. The auto-titrator reported 1.6seconds for the for chlorine to be neutrilized in a 250mL water being stirred, 4.5sec with the water not moving. Can't make any conclusions on how fast it works during a water change (we change 50-100times that volume), but its definitely not instantaneous.
 

ystrout

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,526
Reaction score
920
Location
San Diego
Experience
4 years
Wickette said:
I saw a youtube video saying to do this, it seems iffy, I played with prime in the lab today (where I work). I was only used prime, and distilled water with nothing other than chlorine. Added prime a lot of prime to a half flask, kept adding chlorinated water, its kept neutralizing the chlorine (I did it 5 times over 3 hours, worked every time). Id like to see if it works for days, but Id get in trouble if someone saw my using the lab equipment for this purpose.



I should have written wait 10min OR stir... let the dechlorinator reach everywhere.


I don't think you're being paranoid. I was playing with it in the lab, which is what inspired the poll. The auto-titrator reported 1.6seconds for the for chlorine to be neutrilized in a 250mL water being stirred, 4.5sec with the water not moving. Can't make any conclusions on how fast it works during a water change (we change 50-100times that volume), but its definitely not instantaneous.
Oh that's really cool you tested it in the lab!

Do you know what happens to the chlorine? Does it evaporate? Or is does it bond with something and turn into a harmless compound?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Wickette

Wickette

Active Member
Member
Messages
266
Reaction score
76
Location
New York City suburbs
Experience
More than 10 years
ystrout said:
Oh that's really cool you tested it in the lab!

Do you know what happens to the chlorine? Does it evaporate? Or is does it bond with something and turn into a harmless compound?
Simple answer it doesn't evaporate and forms lots of harmful things =P

Its not a simple reaction, or simple answer, and ca totally nerd out and go through all the reactions if requested. As simple as I can explain. Chlorine in water forms Dechlorinator (sodium thiosulfate) is trying to neutralize "Hypochlorous acid", which is the chemical formed when chlorine mixes with water (its nastier stuff than pure chlorine)

Sodium Thiosulfate is pH sensitive, depending on the pH 3 different reactions can happen
1-a neutral salt and HCL (hydrochloric acid)
2-a neutral salt, sulfur, HCL (hydrochloric acid)
3-a neutral salt, NaCl (pure table salt), and NaOH (a very strong base, aka lye, aka the real chemical they would have used in breaking bad to dissolves bodies/bone)

Those things sound bad, but most of those things can react again with more dechlorinator and and things like NaOH and HCl change the pH so when it starts reacting one way, halfway through the the pH gets so low itreacts a different way.

...its really complicated and it explains why its not instantaneous like most reactions
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,276
Reaction score
11,249
Location
Saratoga NY
Experience
More than 10 years
I fill my tanks from a white [potable water] hose that is temperature controlled .
I add my dechlorinator after the tank is filled .Even when changing over 75% on large tanks .
Sometimes I wait 10-15 minutes after tank is full on purpose...
Never had any problems with my method ..60+ tanks
 

Mongo75

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,324
Reaction score
1,442
Location
Lancaster, CA
Depends on my mood. I usually do 3 5 gallon buckets filled 2" from the top which I call 15 gallon (75%) WC on my 20g. I use Prime, so it's a very small amount. I flip between adding Prime to the first bucket before filling it, or adding it to the tank before adding water. I use a powerhead to pump from the bucket to the tank and pour what the powerhead can't get.
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
10,069
Reaction score
10,027
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
3 years
Aqueon Water Changer. Siphon 50-80% every 5-7 days on my 55-20-10-8.8. Add Prime for the entire volume of the tank and open the flood gates with the water changer to refill. My 2 5.5's I use 3/16" airline tubing connected to a skewer with elastics. siphon 50-75% put a colandar on top of the tank and refill with a small beach pail. Adding the Prime right before my first pail of water ( entire volume of water on the 5.5's as well ) Has worked well for me.
 

aae0130

Well Known
Member
Messages
627
Reaction score
449
Location
The Garden State
Experience
More than 10 years
I use a pump and hose to drain the tank (50% weekly). I then put the pump in a bucket and put it under the faucet to refilIcimpletely. I dose a tanks worth of API Stress Coat + after completion. Once in a while I do a bigger change (75/80 %). At those times I put half a dose in at the beginning and half a dose in the middle.
I don’t know if this really makes any difference but I haven’t had a problem so there is no need to change.

Edit: My filter is off when I’m refilling.
 

ystrout

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,526
Reaction score
920
Location
San Diego
Experience
4 years
Wickette said:
Simple answer it doesn't evaporate and forms lots of harmful things =P

Its not a simple reaction, or simple answer, and ca totally nerd out and go through all the reactions if requested. As simple as I can explain. Chlorine in water forms Dechlorinator (sodium thiosulfate) is trying to neutralize "Hypochlorous acid", which is the chemical formed when chlorine mixes with water (its nastier stuff than pure chlorine)

Sodium Thiosulfate is pH sensitive, depending on the pH 3 different reactions can happen
1-a neutral salt and HCL (hydrochloric acid)
2-a neutral salt, sulfur, HCL (hydrochloric acid)
3-a neutral salt, NaCl (pure table salt), and NaOH (a very strong base, aka lye, aka the real chemical they would have used in breaking bad to dissolves bodies/bone)

Those things sound bad, but most of those things can react again with more dechlorinator and and things like NaOH and HCl change the pH so when it starts reacting one way, halfway through the the pH gets so low itreacts a different way.

...its really complicated and it explains why its not instantaneous like most reactions
Oh I see. So the sodium thiosulfate reacts with the chlorine and turns it into salt, sulfur, hydrochloric acid, or table salt, depending on the PH?

Then it reacts again with the de-chlorinator... What are the final products leftover in the aquarium that are safe for fish?
 

toeknee

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,701
Reaction score
2,002
Location
Vail, Colorado
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use a python on my 55. Drain 50%, add decholor for entire tank volume, then add water directly from tap. Been doing it for years with no issues.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
Wickette

Wickette

Active Member
Member
Messages
266
Reaction score
76
Location
New York City suburbs
Experience
More than 10 years
ystrout said:
Oh I see. So the sodium thiosulfate reacts with the chlorine and turns it into salt, sulfur, hydrochloric acid, or table salt, depending on the PH?

Then it reacts again with the de-chlorinator... What are the final products leftover in the aquarium that are safe for fish?
hydrochloric acid, sodium hydroxide are highly reactive chemicals. I think it should all keep reacting until all the atoms form into compounds: Water, normal Salt (sodium chloride), sodium sulfate (a pH neutral, non-toxic salt), and maybe oxygen or sulfur dioxide gas
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
83
Guests online
2,157
Total visitors
2,240

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom