Poll for members interested in saltwater aquariums

?

If you're interested in saltwater, why haven't you set up a tank?

1. Financial reasons / too expensive

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. You think it's too difficult

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. You think it's too time consuming

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. You will be setting up a salty tank, just in the research stage still

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Other - please post

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

I'm just curious and thinking about possible articles that need to be written... if you're interested in starting a saltwater aquarium setup or reef tank setup... what's holding you back from doing it?

- Financial reasons / too expensive?
    - You think it's too difficult?
    - You think it will be too time consuming?
    - You will be setting up a salty tank, just in the research stages still
    - Other? Please post what's holding you back.

2. angel_scout Well Known Member Member

I want to set upp a SW tank, but haven't for a couple reasons. The main one is the money. The stuff you need is really expensive, and the fish are kind of expensive too. Another reason is I keep thinking I will mess it up lol. I don't really know what I think I'd do to mess it up. I am constantly reading up on SW tanks and fish and equipment. So I guess I just don't feel confident enough to start one.

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I voted financal reasons, this is the biggest setback, we where considering setting our 90gal up as a reef, but I soon discovered it would end up costing me $2000-$3000 to do, there is just no way.

I am still considering setting up a smaller tank, but it is pretty intimidating. I bought a couple how to books, and asked a few questions here, but I am still lost. I tryed reading through old threads, that didn't seem to help, and there doesn't seem to be very many saltwater members on very often. Also stocking info seems very confusing, I am not sure if it is because I am unfamilar with the fish names and groups or what.

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Thanks for the feedback. Not much you can do regarding financial reasons, it is what it is, you either can or can not afford it and if it would create any sort of financial hardship it shouldn't be pursued since it would take the fun out of it.

My hunch is that a lot of hobbyists think saltwater is harder than it really is though. When really if you've successfully kept freshwater and know how to test your water with the various test kits it's not that much harder at all. Especially with available equipment like live rock, protein skimmer, RO/DI filters, biopellets, etc.

5. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I think all the exta equipment, what it is for/ how it works is part of the confusing part.

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I will admit it is a bit intimidating. That being said, Im also afraid of the Maint of it. RIght now I'm usually out of the house traveling for work at least 3 if not 4 nights a week. So all my tank work has to happen on the weekend. That and the feeding of the fish I have heard (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is a lot more difficult to let go and have off schedule than with fresh water.

I have a 30 that I keep looking at and saying it would make a really easy FOLR tank but I still need to but a skimmer and a few other things so its also putting some good out of pocket costs up.

7. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

The perceived difficulty is a bit of an issue, but the really big thing is the need for certain equipment, like an RO filter and a skimmer. It's just more than I can afford at this time.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

This needs to be multiple choice lol

Options one, two, three, and four, for me! Too much to get started, and not something I have the experience, or time, for right now, but I do plan on getting one going at some point in the future, and have a limited amount of knowledge and research under my belt =3

9. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Cost is what stops me. My water is high in phosphates, so a high quality RO/DI unit is required, in addition to the additional equipment.

More than 20 years ago I set out to setup a 90G saltwater tank. Being a single parent, it has been difficult to save enough money to purchase the equipment required. And, even if I had that equipment, the cost of sands, live rock and other inhabitants is still more than I can afford.

Putting the expense aside, I used to think that saltwater was harder to maintain. After doing much research I am discovering that is not really true. Kind of like how everyone says discus are difficult. Once you understand how to properly care for the chosen species, it isn't all that hard.

10. escapay Well Known Member Member

I voted financial reasons. Which is true. I know saltwater is supposedly expensive.

Other would be the various equipment I would need... I know what I need for freshwater - but saltwater is a different story.

11. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I have saltwater tanks so this really isn't how I feel about it but what I hear pretty often.

The biggest thing I hear is that it is SO much harder than freshwater. Which really isn't true at all. I have many saltwater fish that are just impossible to kill just like freshwater has some VERY hardy fish. I really would love to see articles explaining that its not that much harder and explaining the different processes.

Another thing I hear pretty often is that its more time consuming. While yes I spend a little more time with my reef tank my fish only tanks I actually spend LESS time with than my freshwater planted tank. Outside adding salt during your water changes my two fish only tanks are exactly like my freshwater just have one extra thing to measure and its a instant reading you don't have to even wait for it. My reef tank I also have to rinse my protien skimmer which takes what two seconds? Then when I feed I have to feed the corals which does take a little bit more time.

Those are the main two reasons I hear for not wanting a saltwater tank.

12. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I used to think it was really difficult to start, but after lots of research, I now know its not. The only thing holding me back now is money. When I set one up, I want to go all out with it.

13. Fall River Member Member

Definitely the $$$$. Maybe an article on how to get your feet wet (or more accurately, your hands wet) in SW, for the lowest cost? Tips and tricks on equipment, substrates, etc.
    Was in the LFS yesterday with the kids, and, as usual, I was mesmerized/drooling, over the variety and colors of the fish, LR, and anemones, urchins, and all the other available options.

P.S. to Mike, just wanted to personally thank you for all the work you do on the site. I, and many others, greatly appreciate it! So, THANK YOU!!

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'd vote 1, 2 and 3.
    I couldn't maybe worm my way around #1 if I wasn't afraid of 2 and 3 :)

15. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Agreed. Cost is the main issue, and only the initial outlay required to set up a marine set up. I also feel that going small with a marine tank isnt the same as if you have a really big one (100+ gallons) making the idea even worse cost wise. :)

Other than that, there isnt anything stopping me.

16. ploopy Member Member

I voted too expensive and doing more research.I have 1 -15 gallon fowl acrylic tank I bought dirt cheap 2 fish and some liverock awhile ago.I have been doing alot of research and have 2 friends helping me.I will be getting a larger reef tank eventually just not quite comfortable yet.Any type of articles will help Start with the basic and move to more complicated things

17. lorabell Well Known Member Member

There are so many misconseptions.....there are some things that u can get around and still have saltwater. Understanding that corals definitly do have special needs(flow,lighting, feedings, water parameters...) but I actually have a few friends that run SW FOWLER tanks with canister filters, regular lighting and no skimmers...they totally enjoy just having the SW fish...not saying its right or wrong but it has been done....I really think with exceptions some of it can be done.

I myself have (very thankfully) been able to keep my SeaHorses for a few years, very happy and healthy.....their tank is completely basic stuff. this again has worked for me. The initial cost of the inhabitants is defifinitly more of an expense...but I have way more trouble with guppies and goldfish.

And of course with any new species or tanks my best friend has always been research,research and more research.....There are some many variables that intimidate people, its even possible to have SW fish just in a tank scaped with plastic plants,etc...like I said on some scale it can be done. I would love to see some articles about someof this.....then maybe more people could actually enjoy some more of the SW critters available.

18. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I undestand that, however it was still gonna cost me $700 for the live rock, then I still needed powerheads and stuff it would have save me some money, but when I do a saltwater tank it will most likely only be 1 tank, and I know I wouldn't be happy with the plastic plants.

The cost of the lighting was not bothering me, I had planned on getting some easier corals that would do well under T5HO ligting, I payed for them for planted tanks, so I am aware of the cost, and I don't think it is too outragous.

Specificly what got me was the liverock, water, and skimmer, as far as price goes.
    And I am not confident that I could figure out how to build a sump/ refugium.

19. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I agree with the live rock. Even buying some live rock and the rest dry rock it still is expensive. An RO/DI unit is a big one. Skimmer as well.

I also agree, if its gonna be done, no plastic nonsense it must be done properly.

As for the sump and fuge... its actually really simple, and there so many people here on FL that know so much about them :)

20. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Ifigured there must be someone on fishlore who could help, I just didn't find that person when I was looking. I did get some helpful info, but the second I posted that I wanted info on starting a SW tank, I was given a pretyped intro post to read, which since I had read the book already, wasn't really that helpful. I found both the post and the book a little vague and unpersonal. Not to dis the saltwater members here though, there just doesn't seem to be enough of them who are online often or long enough to answer a bunch of newbie questions. And since I have not done salt water before I was unsure really what I needed clarified better or what questions to ask.

I did what I was told and googled some fish and what not but that gave me no better idea of what was going on, what could go in the tank ect.. honestly it frustrated me to the point that I decided the money was not worth it.

I tryed looking for threads and googling how to bulid a sump, but I am afraid I would have to see one done in person to understand.