Question Poll: Does anyone have a UV Sterilizer for their freshwater tank?

guppyguy76

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I was wondering if anyone have a UV Sterilizer for their freshwater tank? Also wondering what the pros and cons were. I used to have one myself years ago powered by like a fountain pump. And far as I can remember I didn't have problems with my fish. I was thinking when I get a bigger tank of getting one. The only concern I have would be if it would disrupt the beneficial bacteria in the tank as well as the bad stuff in the tank.

guppyguy76

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Should also cut down on the fish sickness too as well? Wouldn't harm the nutrients for the the plants?

Cobaltshark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My tanks are heavily planted. Never noticed any adverse effects. I can't recall the number, but I know that to be effective at killing pathogens and disease, the gph has to be low. Like under 30 for the average sterilizer. Of course the high wattage bulbs can move faster.

rsutoratosu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have one for the guppy tank. Turbo twist 6x hook up to an eheim canister filter. Works great, no issue. Bulb goes out like every 4-5 months.. cheap or expensive has same shelf life, end up ordering from a guy off ebay that sells uv bulbs. Whatever you get, make sure you can get bulbs.. I got a crate of them, enough for next few years.

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 25wt Aqua UV unit, soon to be installed on my goldfish tank and have a 24wt green machine installed in my flowerhorn tank. UV has a lot of factors that need to be considered in order for it to achieve true sterilization. Proper water flow has been mentioned, but the strength (as in microwatts) of the bulb, the quality of the UV bulb, the clarity and quality of the bulb housing, the distance/depth between the bulb and UV unit housing, the exposure and dwell time of the water to the UV light are just some that come to mind...

a UV sterilizer will not affect your BB as its attached to your tank walls, decor, substrate and filter media. It will kill (if it has the right strength) free floating good or bad bacteria. if you are looking for a good quality UV unit, i highly recommend the Aqua UV units.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom