Poll: Correlation Between Betta Flaring And Keeping Tankmates?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Briggs, Apr 11, 2017.

?

In your experience, your bettas will:

1. Flare easily, and tolerate tank mates well

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Flare easily and tolerate some tank mates well, but not others

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Flare easily and will not tolerate any tank mates

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Not flare easily and tolerate tank mates well

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  5. Not flare easily and tolerate some tank mates well, but not others

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  6. Not flare easily and will not tolerate any tank mates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

I'm curious to see what experiences betta keepers have had with keeping bettas with (appropriate) tank mates. In the poll, when I say 'flare easily' I mean they'll flare for things like mirrors, videos, or odd objects (like pens! Why are bettas so alarmed by pens?). 'Tolerate' means they didn't try to attack or eat anyone, and didn't show signs of stress or distress.

Please feel free to expand on what tank mates you've tried, tank sizes and set ups, and just what worked and what didn't. I'm personally interested in whether this can be used to figure out if a betta is more or less likely to go after non-fish roommates like snails and shrimp. I suspect it might not, since other fish might be seen as 'threats' and shrimp and snails might be 'food', but I would be very happy to be proved wrong!

2. CHoman

CHoman Valued Member Member

I answered that my betta flares easily but tolerates tankmates well, but I should clarify that the only tankmates he has ever had are 2 nerite snails. I was so scared to put anything in, as he flares at his reflection, all the time and just seems to be grumpy. When I put the nerites in, he swam right up to them and just stared..centimeters away. I thought he was going to attack for sure, especially when they moved, but no. He will swim right to and watch them, but hasn't attacked. I think he realized early on that they are zero threat to him.

I also completely moved everything around in his tank, so he didnt feel that anyone was invading in his territory.

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

I have a betta in a community and he does well, I have rarely seen him flare. He even lives with angelfish! I did get a new (tiny, about 1.5") angel a few weeks ago and he will get pissy if they bump into eachother but the angel is so much faster than he is I have not seen it be an issue.

The betta I had in this same tank before this one flared a lot for a few days, then never saw him flare again, got along well and spent about half his time in his little hideout I made for him in the upper corner (just a fake plant stuck in through the side of the lid so it floats and made some cover for him to retreat to.

Edit, forgot, tank size is a 40 breeder.

4. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

My sister has a betta in a 10 gallon with juvenile livebearer. (it was the growout tank but she wanted a betta.)

The betta almost never flares. Actually only saw him flare once. Its when he discovered the heater was a good bed.. He flared at The curious babies. Who now leave him and the heater alone.
    Tho said betta hasnt fully grown his fins yet

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

My betta flares reasonably easily. He flares at his reflection but that's it. In the shop he was with young amano shrimp, DGs and silvertip tetras and seemed to ignore them though he could have just been stressed. He's now in a 5 gallon with a nerite snail he ignores and I plan to add some amano shrimp.

6. OP
    OP
    Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

I don't know that there is a whole lot for a betta to attack with a nerite snail even if it wanted to. Their tentacles are so tiny! I guess if they knocked it around so it landed upside down and then waited for it to reach out to try to turn it's self back over they could have a shot, but I don't know if that happens often enough to worry about.

7. Jnx

Jnx Valued Member Member

I've totally experienced a correlation between tendency to flare and aggression toward tank mates. My bettas who readily flare are largely intolerant of tank mates. They lunge and mosh nerites, and kill ghost shrimp.
    Those who tend to not flare tolerate cories (my one dude even schools with and mimics their behavior), mystery snails, shrimp, nerites, trapdoors, ramhorns etc.
    In my sorority, those who do not flare are much more likely to do pile-ups at feeding time and use the buddy system, while the more aggressive girls stay on the fringes, loner-esque.

I think bettas flare at pens due to the shape/size.

Edited to add photo:

Here's one of my plakats, who thinks he's a cory (please disregard alsatian hairs, garage sale tank quality, and nerite eggs):[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  8. Chunkycat

Chunkycat Valued Member Member

My experience is limited to just 2 bettas. The first one (swim in peace, Triton) flared easily at the nerite snail he lived with, even tried to attack his shell and knocked him off the glass a couple of times, but he never tried to kill the snail when he landed upside down or bite off his antennae. His other tank mates were an amano shrimp, some cherries and a gold mystery snail; he completely ignored them all. He did eat most of the baby cherries though.
    The second betta went after the cherries immediately after being introduced to the aquarium. In his first week he killed at least 3 cherry shrimp, ate the babies and once bit off the nerite's tentacles. He ignores the amano shrimp. And he too flares quite easily.
    It's a 5 gallon planted aquarium that houses 1 betta with a nerite snail, an amano and about 10- 13 cherry shrimp, including the remaining juveniles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice