POLL: centerpiece fish for a cold-warmish water 55 gallon

Discussion in 'Polls' started by ivonko, Jan 11, 2013.

?

centerpiece fish for my 55 gallon

1. Fan-Tail Goldfish

45.5%
  2. Bala Shark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pictus Catfish

27.3%
  4. Denison Barb (Roseline shark)

27.3%
  5. Raphael Catfish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ivonkoValued MemberMember

hey guys i wanted your opinion on what you think would be the best centerpiece fish for my new tank :) i would buy 1-5 of these fish (depending on size)

55 gallon 48" long tank
    water temp would be 68-72 degrees

tank mates would be:
    school of white cloud minnow or neon tetra
    2-3 hillstream loaches
    1-2 fire belly newts
    assorted small inverts (shrimp and snails)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

I voted goldfish but you probably can't have the tetra with them. The goldfish will eat them eventually. Loaches are great with goldfish though!

There's lots of different kinds of goldfish to choose from as well. Fantails, Ryukins, Orandas, Telescopes.. :D

3. ivonkoValued MemberMember

i went with fantails because they were my favorite type :) i actually love ordinary comet goldfish but they mostly only sell as feeders and as such are prone to viral and bacterial infections,

do you think the fantail would eat something as large as the white cloud minnow? also im sure it could be devastating to my shrimp population thats why its one of 5 considerations not the sole choice.

4. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

They are quite beautiful. From what I've read, goldfish can be kept with white cloud minnows. It seems that sometimes they'll have a snack of one but for the most part they leave each other alone. I have no experience with shrimp but I'd guess if it could fit in their mouth, they'd eat it. I've never had good experience with snails and any fish (except guppies, who seem to generally ignore them, and plecos naturally) so I really think that's a toss up to the fish's personality whether it will or won't bother them.

My own tank is going to have a dojo loach and and maybe two hillstream loaches in addition to my fantail and ryukin. ^^ As soon as it's done cycling, that is.

5. ivonkoValued MemberMember

thanks for the info :) ill have to keep this in mind because although i think a red fantail would look awesome with a black background and white sand i also have to consider the rest of the little guys so they dont get slaughtered

6. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

Naturally! :) Good luck!

7. ivonkoValued MemberMember

are we allowed to bump to the top?

8. LucyModeratorModerator Member

It's not necessary with a poll like this. Especially after only 3 hours.
    There are other more pressing threads that should be near the top. :)

9. ivonkoValued MemberMember

thanks, i was just curious whether its frowned upon or not :)

10. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You just did :D

A goldfish will eat anything it can, including other fish. But, it won't just gobble them all up - it would be a slow leak of one here, one there. You might need to re-up the school once a year. Not a big deal in my opinion. I don't think hillstream loaches are a good choice to go with goldfish though. The loaches prefer very swift currents (that's why they are shaped like they are), which is not that great for the goldfish. I would skip on the hillstreams.

Denison barbs are schooling fish - you could probably squeeze a small school into a 55, though I do think it's too small.

Pictus cats are also schooling fish, and they will eat everything in the tank. Fish with whiskers have whiskers for a reason - hunting. Same as the barbs - a bit too small, but can be done.

Bala sharks are schooling fish that get much too big for a 55.

I don't think the raphael catfish is much of a centerpiece.

I don't know anything abut newts, so I dont know how that plays into things. That being said, I think a couple of goldfish are most suitable for your tank size, followed by the pictus cats and denison barbs. I think with the goldfish, you could keep the raphael catfish.

11. EthanWell Known MemberMember

every raphael i see is so lazy i don't know if it is because of a small tank or what but they just sit there and take it and that is not my thing i like when a raphael takes control of the situation and puts on a good show.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice