POLL: Best Bottom Dwellers to Compliment Rainbows

1. Canadian Fish Member Member

Hi, my 55 gallon tank is currently home to 6 Red Irian and 4 Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish, as well as some Platies and Zebra Danios.

Eventually I plan to move the danios and some if not all of the platies into my 20 gallon tank, and then I plan to add some bottom feeders.

These are what I am considering:

Zebra, Polka Dot, or Yo Yo loaches. Leaning toward Polka Dot loaches at the moment, probably a group of 5.

OR

Black Red Tailed Shark. Yes, they're territorial, but can anyone deny they look cool patrolling the bottom of a tank? Right now the bottom of my tank is practically empty. The Rainbows and Danios hardly ever go down there, and there are lots of hiding places (fake log, natural caves made from driftwood, fake plants) so maybe it could work? I realize it's hit or miss with RTS and some are just ornery regardless of these conditions.

OR

Bristlenose Pleco. Kind of boring compared to a fun school of loaches or a cool Red Tailed Shark.

OR

Something else? I'm open to suggestions. I already have Corys in my 20 Gallon so I want something different for the 55.

Basically, the mid to top of my tank is busy now, but the bottom of my tank needs some action (preferably not just nocturnal action). Opinions? Thanks everyone!

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I would go with the Botia Kubotai (polka-dot loaches). Loaches are cute, fun, and active.:)

3. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I would go with a red tailed shark and 6 yoyo loaches just make sure to have 2 caves and plentys of decorations to block the red tailed sharks view and you should be fine.

4. fighter55 Member Member

You could try a Rainbow Shark. They're similar to the Red-Tailed Shark, just a little less aggressive. I would also suggest Kuhli Loaches. They're a lot of fun.

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I was just thinking the khuli idea.

What I might do is to actually do a school of khulis in the tank with some cories AND the rainbow shark. I think you could put all of them in there provided you put up a good school of the khulis you would actually get to see them. They are a lot of fun but not as great at cleanup as the cories are. The rainbow would help keep everyone in line to a point, thou my last group of cories could keep anything in the line they wanted lol.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think that polka dots are too large for a 55, based on the size of the ones I saw for sale last time at the store. $18 each.

I would go with the zebras.

7. fighter55 Member Member

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think that any larger bottom dwellers need an 18 inch wide tank. It's a 50% bigger footprint than a 12 inch wide tank, which is a big deal for fish that primarily occupy the bottom.

9. fighter55 Member Member

After hearing that, I think either Corydoras Catfish or Kuhli Loaches.

10. Canadian Fish Member Member

From what I've been told about Botia kubotai they usually max out at around 5".

As for Botia striata, they usually max out at 4".

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The zebras are the smallest of the 3, which is why I would go with them. It's just a matter of how much room you want the fish to have to swim.

12. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

How big were the polka dots you saw at the store?

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They were 4 - 5 inches. I should have taken a video. I hope they are still there, cause I want some for the 125.

But I don't think the tank is big enough for the rainbows either, so you can take that for what it's worth. These, large, active, fast fish need room to maneuver, and a 12 inch wide tank just can't provide that.

14. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

We can just agree to disagree, then. Personally, I think a 55g tank is plenty of room for polka dot loaches and rainbow fish, but that's just my humble opinion:p

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Like I said, it's all a matter of how much room you want your fish to have to swim. I felt that my 12 rainbows outgrew the 90, and I wouldn't consider putting them back in it.

However, I do recognize that many if not most would not agree with me.