Polished River Rock as substrate? Total newbie to this!

Rose of Sharon
I am currently thinking about setting up a new tank and aquascaping for the first time. I am thinking maybe something in the 20 gallon long size. Before I get started, and I am looking at a ton of options. This will be my very first, true aquascape.

I love the look of polished river rock. I have seen it in some aquarium pics, and I just think it is cool.

Here is a link to an amazon page showing what I am talking about. Being unfamiliar with all of this, I don't know if river rock is the right name. This is just an example of what I am thinking about putting down as a substrate.

https://www.amazon.com/SACKORANGE-A...hed+rocks+for+aquariums&qid=1621433220&sr=8-6

Would this work for a planted tank? Or should I be considering something else, like an aqua soil? Would this substrate limit what type of fish I can have? I am leaning towards a betta sorority, but I am not completely sold on that idea yet. Would this totally rule out corys if I use this as my substrate?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
AggressiveAquatics
River rocks are more for decoration than substrate. You can do sand with river rocks on top as a type of “path”. Just because I don’t think plants would be rooted very well in that

Rose of Sharon
River rocks are more for decoration than substrate. You can do sand with river rocks on top as a type of “path”. Just because I don’t think plants would be rooted very well in that
Ok, thank! I was thinking that would be the case. There are so many substrates on the market, it's hard to wrap your head around it if you are doing this for the first time!

awilkinson871
My concern would be cleaning. Food and yuck is going to get underneath the rock and get trapped turning to ammonia. You could use a sand or fine gravel and use the river rock on top to make a riverbed. Corys really need sand or fine smooth gravel to dig in. I don't know a lot about plants, but some need to be planted in sand/dirt/gravel and others tied/glued to decor. You might need to make some decisions on what plants you want to use to determine the best substrate.

Rose of Sharon
I am going to look back at those pictures that I was looking at. I apparently missed something, like a sand substrate underneath!

CTYankee79
I think they would look pretty as an accent. As an example here is an old photo of my tank, I was going for the sloping riverbank look—those River stones separated the gravel from the sand and we’re supposed to look as if they toppled down the bank and scattered on the bottom. I don’t know if I achieved that lol but I think it worked :)

1EFAFC04-7144-43B7-AE4A-9EAE4B8F82A4.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mikki080
Replies
Views
mrsP
Replies
Views
Kimara
Replies