Polar Blue Parrot Fish

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sarah73 said:
dyed parrot fish. they have been dying many parrot fish these days.
I am almost positive these are not "jelly bean parrots" (the dyed ones). Those ones are much less natural looking in color. More neon looking. I think that these ones are just a different hybrid than the blood parrots. Mixed with something else. Like a blue convict for instance. They have been getting the common name of "blue zebra parrot fish" from what I have found.

I had two little baby versions of these a few months ago. Like the size of peas. But they didn't make it. And they definitely weren't dyed. They were just a natural looking blue with the black stripes.(I wonder if those stripes will go away with age, I will never know since mine didn't make it out of QT)

I could be wrong! I know my little ones were not dyed. And this one looks very similar. And other than the plump rounded bodies, they very closely resemble blue convicts.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bizaliz3 said:
I am almost positive these are not "jelly bean parrots" (the dyed ones). Those ones are much less natural looking in color. More neon looking. I think that these ones are just a different hybrid than the blood parrots. Mixed with something else. Like a blue convict for instance. They have been getting the common name of "blue zebra parrot fish" from what I have found.

I had two little baby versions of these a few months ago. Like the size of peas. But they didn't make it. And they definitely weren't dyed. They were just a natural looking blue with the black stripes.(I wonder if those stripes will go away with age, I will never know since mine didn't make it out of QT)
yeah, when I saw jellybean I was like that's a dyed fish, but eh. *sigh*

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The name is a marketing ploy. The blue color comes from being a hybrid with Honduran Red Point, and it's just a balloon belly Convict hybrid; deformed domestic convicts x HRP. No Amphilophus citrinellus or labiatus in that fish at all, the bands are typical markings of Amatitlania. I have also seen this in a solid blue, which appears to be from the Platinum HRP strain, essentially the same as a Pink Convict but a different species. The two species are widely known to hybridize, it was only a matter of time before someone crossed them into the deformed lines for the color.

Jellybean Parrots are dyed, but they are not the standard Parrot; they are usually deformed Pink Convicts, which is a smaller fish. Not that hard to breed the deformity out to normal striped Convicts, since Pink is a recessive gene anyway.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom