Polar Blue Parrot Fish (zebra Parrot Cichlid) Anyone ? Question 

BettaMru

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi I just bought this Polar blue parrot fish who is tiny right now (3 cm), does anyone else take care of this hybrid ? I can't find much online about them, and I really want to know more. Any help.

Things I want to know:

Adult size, life span, behaviour, tank mates, etc.

32207575_1890268991043342_3261578639661072384_n.jpg

Hi
32205882_1890266651043576_5061318091581947904_n.jpg
32202726_1890224221047819_3221686463724781568_n.jpg

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I ended up with two of those. They were equally tiny. They only lasted a couple weeks in my care. I don't really know why. I am assuming bad stock or something.
I had the same exact questions as you, really knowing nothing about this particular hybrid. Do they get as big as blood parrots? Are they aggressive? I was hoping to get to learn more about them as they grew. But they didn't make it for me.
I hope yours does well and we get the chance to see what they develop in to!
When I did my research on them, I couldn't find a single example of an adult specimen. Only tiny juvies like yours and mine.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That fish is just a Convict hybrid, someone finally crossed the Jellybean Parrot Convicts with the Honduran Red Point, which is where the blue body color comes from. (Convicts and HRP are known to hybridize easily and frequently.) There is a color form of HRP called "Platinum", which has the same mutation as Pink Convicts but in a different species. It tends to be very blue.

Some claim that Jellybean Parrots were a cross between a Parrot and a Pink Convict to begin with, though I've never seen any evidence of anything other than a deformed Convict. The spinal deformity is so widespread among many species of fish that it is more reasonable to believe someone got some deformed convicts than it is to believe that they hybridized them with Bloody Parrots.

Lying about the origin of such fish is extremely common in commercial sales.

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:
That fish is just a Convict hybrid, someone finally crossed the Jellybean Parrot Convicts with the Honduran Red Point, which is where the blue body color comes from. (Convicts and HRP are known to hybridize easily and frequently.) There is a color form of HRP called "Platinum", which has the same mutation as Pink Convicts but in a different species. It tends to be very blue.

Some claim that Jellybean Parrots were a cross between a Parrot and a Pink Convict to begin with, though I've never seen any evidence of anything other than a deformed Convict. The spinal deformity is so widespread among many species of fish that it is more reasonable to believe someone got some deformed convicts than it is to believe that they hybridized them with Bloody Parrots.

But the fish in the first picture has parrot like mouth. Convict mouth is quite different. So you think the mouth deformity also occurred with spine deformity?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your new one has all the characteristics of a female HRP. Including a massive egg tube. Notice that the belly is pinkish rather than orange like a standard convict.

The deformed mouth does seem to be connected to the spinal deformity. I've also had fish with mouth deformities without any spinal problems. As a responsible fish breeder, I cull those fish.

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:

So can the parrots be hybridized with convicts? Have you seen such a hybrid? Or it is just a myth?

cslix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BettaMru said:
I got a new one. A much bigger one.

View attachment 441204

Hey thats one beautiful looking fish.. im going to hopefully pick up two today in nj.. 2 for $44 plus tax looking at 50 bucks

Picked my two up today! $45.00 for 2 small ones.. they are great so far.. one is shy staying light colors.. the other is getting bright black stripes and a nice bright blue. super cool looking

20180721_183009.jpg

Kolokithi

Reaction score
Hello all, just picked up a pair of these not too long ago, and can't find anything on these gorgeous fish. From what I was told from the owner of the pet shop is they are called jelly bean parrots because they don't grow big as regular blood parrots. I saw a tank full of them and asked to have just two to try them out. Turns out I was given a male and female to my surprise . Female laid eggs make fertilized them now I have a swarm of them , I'm going into this blind as nothing like this has happened before . And advice will be much appreciated .
20180730_221511.jpg

20180731_001628.jpg

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep, they are your basic Jellybean Convict "Parrots", except that they have some Honduran Red Point Convict bred into the line to give them the blue color. HRP is a different species from the regular Convict used to produce Jellybeans, but they hybridize quite frequently in the aquarium.

It is a "fad" fish, which means they won't stay popular very long. Raising fry is easy, just treat them like Convicts.

BettaMru

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Chrome is right, they have convict genes. They reproduce pretty easily and quickly just like normal convicts. Mine is now in a 50 gallon tank with two blood parrots and five congo tetras. They do flare at each other, but I guess it's normal cichlid behaviour.

Kolokithi

Reaction score
Update. Babies doing great and growing day by day. I also went to a local fish shop and showed them the babies and they told me that they are just balloon convicts and that they be willing to take them for store credit, meanwhile I saw they had an adult in a tank in the back for $29.99. Hmmmmmmm
20180802_184839.jpg

barrbrnr

Reaction score
BettaMru said:
Hi I just bought this Polar blue parrot fish who is tiny right now (3 cm), does anyone else take care of this hybrid ? I can't find much online about them, and I really want to know more. Any help.

Things I want to know:

View attachment 437043
HiView attachment 437041 View attachment 437042
BettaMru said:

Things I want to know:

View attachment 437043
These little guys get about 3 1/2-4" as adults
They love frozen brine shrimp and small NLS cichlid pellets , as well as flakes .
The females will breed very young .
Mine crossed with my male Convict. I had no idea she would do this lol. The babies are very pretty . Some look like the female body but have the convict stripes. Some have the red yellow and blue coloring in the tail and belly area .
Some have only the parrot look and convict body. They are the cutest litt 15334086585201110486387449371865.jpg est little guys .
BettaMru said:

Things I want to know:

View attachment 437043

Carbeo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I first saw these on Ebay about 8 months ago as "blue zebra parrots". They reached local stores now as "panda parrots" for $25 once and once as "polar blue parrots" for $44 e. I havent even been able to find a picture of an adult yet. I think they are just very newly created. I'm glad to see some spawned. I wonder how the fry will turn out.

Anyone have updates on how the fry are growing out for the blue balloon ones? Not short body black convicts, just the "polar blue parrot" that appear like bonsai honduran red points?

Attachments

cslix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How are the babies i want to see? ive had mine for about a month and a half and they have mated twice and had over 200 fry..

aae0130

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
cslix said:
How are the babies i want to see? ive had mine for about a month and a half and they have mated twice and had over 200 fry..
Where in New Jersey were you able to find them?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom