Polar Blue Parrot Fish (zebra Parrot Cichlid) Anyone ?

BettaMru

HI I just bought this Polar blue parrot fish who is tiny right now (3 cm), does anyone else take care of this hybrid ? I can't find much online about them, and I really want to know more. Any help.

Things I want to know:

Adult size, life span, behaviour, tank mates, etc.

32207575_1890268991043342_3261578639661072384_n.jpg

Hi
32205882_1890266651043576_5061318091581947904_n.jpg

32202726_1890224221047819_3221686463724781568_n.jpg

bizaliz3

I ended up with two of those. They were equally tiny. They only lasted a couple weeks in my care. I don't really know why. I am assuming bad stock or something.
I had the same exact questions as you, really knowing nothing about this particular hybrid. Do they get as big as blood parrots? Are they aggressive? I was hoping to get to learn more about them as they grew. But they didn't make it for me.
I hope yours does well and we get the chance to see what they develop in to!
When I did my research on them, I couldn't find a single example of an adult specimen. Only tiny juvies like yours and mine.

BettaMru

Oh my, I hope nothing happens and this little cutie pie gets to live 5+ years

That's the only thing I found which gives some minimal info.

chromedome52

That fish is just a Convict hybrid, someone finally crossed the Jellybean Parrot Convicts with the Honduran Red Point, which is where the blue body color comes from. (Convicts and HRP are known to hybridize easily and frequently.) There is a color form of HRP called "Platinum", which has the same mutation as Pink Convicts but in a different species. It tends to be very blue.

Some claI'm that Jellybean Parrots were a cross between a Parrot and a Pink Convict to begin with, though I've never seen any evidence of anything other than a deformed Convict. The spinal deformity is so widespread among many species of fish that it is more reasonable to believe someone got some deformed convicts than it is to believe that they hybridized them with Bloody Parrots.

Lying about the origin of such fish is extremely common in commercial sales.

RonJ

chromedome52 said:
That fish is just a Convict hybrid, someone finally crossed the Jellybean Parrot Convicts with the Honduran Red Point, which is where the blue body color comes from. (Convicts and HRP are known to hybridize easily and frequently.) There is a color form of HRP called "Platinum", which has the same mutation as Pink Convicts but in a different species. It tends to be very blue.

Some claI'm that Jellybean Parrots were a cross between a Parrot and a Pink Convict to begin with, though I've never seen any evidence of anything other than a deformed Convict. The spinal deformity is so widespread among many species of fish that it is more reasonable to believe someone got some deformed convicts than it is to believe that they hybridized them with Bloody Parrots.

But the fish in the first picture has parrot like mouth. Convict mouth is quite different. So you think the mouth deformity also occurred with spine deformity?

BettaMru

I got a new one. A much bigger one.

33308222_1908607519209489_2724264770503966720_n.jpg

chromedome52

Your new one has all the characteristics of a female HRP. Including a massive egg tube. Notice that the belly is pinkish rather than orange like a standard convict.

The deformed mouth does seem to be connected to the spinal deformity. I've also had fish with mouth deformities without any spinal problems. As a responsible fish breeder, I cull those fish.

BettaMru

Some footage of them at the fish store.

RonJ

chromedome52 said:

So can the parrots be hybridized with convicts? Have you seen such a hybrid? Or it is just a myth?

cslix

BettaMru said:

Hey that's one beautiful looking fish.. I'm going to hopefully pick up two today in nj.. 2 for $44 plus tax looking at 50 bucks

Picked my two up today! $45.00 for 2 small ones.. they are great so far.. one is shy staying light colors.. the other is getting bright black stripes and a nice bright blue. super cool looking

20180721_183009.jpg

Kolokithi

Hello all, just picked up a pair of these not too long ago, and can't find anything on these gorgeous fish. From what I was told from the owner of the pet shop is they are called jelly bean parrots because they don't grow big as regular blood parrots. I saw a tank full of them and asked to have just two to try them out. Turns out I was given a male and female to my surprise . Female laid eggs make fertilized them now I have a swarm of them , I'm going into this blind as nothing like this has happened before . And advice will be much appreciated .
20180730_221511.jpg

20180731_001628.jpg

chromedome52

Yep, they are your basic Jellybean Convict "Parrots", except that they have some Honduran Red Point Convict bred into the line to give them the blue color. HRP is a different species from the regular Convict used to produce Jellybeans, but they hybridize quite frequently in the aquarium.

It is a "fad" fish, which means they won't stay popular very long. Raising fry is easy, just treat them like Convicts.

BettaMru

Chrome is right, they have convict genes. They reproduce pretty easily and quickly just like normal convicts. Mine is now in a 50 gallon tank with two blood parrots and five congo tetras. They do flare at each other, but I guess it's normal cichlid behaviour.

Kolokithi

Update. Babies doing great and growing day by day. I also went to a local fish shop and showed them the babies and they told me that they are just balloon convicts and that they be willing to take them for store credit, meanwhile I saw they had an adult in a tank in the back for $29.99. Hmmmmmmm
20180802_184839.jpg

barrbrnr

BettaMru said:
HI I just bought this Polar blue parrot fish who is tiny right now (3 cm), does anyone else take care of this hybrid ? I can't find much online about them, and I really want to know more. Any help.

Things I want to know:

Hi

BettaMru said:

Things I want to know:

Hi

These little guys get about 3 1/2-4" as adults
They love frozen brine shrimp and small NLS cichlid pellets , as well as flakes .
The females will breed very young .
Mine crossed with my male Convict. I had no idea she would do this lol. The babies are very pretty . Some look like the female body but have the convict stripes. Some have the red yellow and blue coloring in the tail and belly area .
Some have only the parrot look and convict body. They are the cutest litt
15334086585201110486387449371865.jpg
est little guys .
BettaMru said:

Things I want to know:

Hi

Carbeo

I first saw these on Ebay about 8 months ago as "blue zebra parrots". They reached local stores now as "panda parrots" for $25 once and once as "polar blue parrots" for $44 e. I haven't even been able to find a picture of an adult yet. I think they are just very newly created. I'm glad to see some spawned. I wonder how the fry will turn out.

Anyone have updates on how the fry are growing out for the blue balloon ones? Not short body black convicts, just the "polar blue parrot" that appear like bonsaI honduran red points?

Attachments

cslix

How are the babies I want to see? ive had mine for about a month and a half and they have mated twice and had over 200 fry..

Carbeo

I'd like to see how everyone's babies turned out too. Mine are just a few weeks in.

Attachments

aae0130

cslix said:
How are the babies I want to see? ive had mine for about a month and a half and they have mated twice and had over 200 fry..
Where in New Jersey were you able to find them?

Kolokithi

Babies are doing really well and growing fast, they way lots and always hungry

Attachments

BettaMru

HI everyone. I'm sorry I'm currently very busy.
I am raising three babies which my friend gave to me. Mine are 2 weeks old.
I have been feeding them baby brine shrimp and just started hikarI first bites a few days ago.

42276745_243207539705515_2884022714803159040_n.jpg

42157438_391385108065086_6860155239593410560_n.jpg

My friend has over 20 adults.
Will give more info when I'm free.

s
Kolokithi said:
Babies are doing really well and growing fast, they way lots and always hungry
Cuties !!

Glori

We have 2 breeding pair of these and absolutely love their personality.

Carbeo said:
Anyone have updates on how the fry are growing out for the blue balloon ones? Not short body black convicts, just the "polar blue parrot" that appear like bonsaI honduran red points?
Our babies are getting big from our breeding pair.

Attachments

byh

HI guys!

I don't really have a lot of experience in taking care of pet fish but recently I found this polar blue parrot fish pretty interesting, and I just want to provide some information for you guys.
This type of fish is originally cross bred in Taiwan, and later on introduced to mainland China. So it makes sense that people there got some more advanced knowledge about this species.
From what I've read, they seem to be extremely easy to take care of and they are pretty good at breeding as long as you have one male and one female. If you search for videos of them almost all the videos are about their countless child fish in the tank. In the Chinese forum people are giving away babies of this species for free because they really don't know what to do with them.
And guess what's the price for each one in China? 5-10 Yuan. That is less than 1 dollar. And it really shocked me how expensive it is priced in US. But I guess it is only because they are newly introduced so sellers can overprice them for a little while, but certainly not for long, because these are really, really tough fish and can produce countless babies in a very short time.

And here are some of the information from some Chinese website:
Length: 5-6 cm (max) (they are called "minI parrot fish" in Chinese)
PH: 5.5-7.0
temperature: 25-28℃

bizaliz3

byh said:
HI guys!

I don't really have a lot of experience in taking care of pet fish but recently I found this polar blue parrot fish pretty interesting, and I just want to provide some information for you guys.
This type of fish is originally cross bred in Taiwan, and later on introduced to mainland China. So it makes sense that people there got some more advanced knowledge about this species.
From what I've read, they seem to be extremely easy to take care of and they are pretty good at breeding as long as you have one male and one female. If you search for videos of them almost all the videos are about their countless child fish in the tank. In the Chinese forum people are giving away babies of this species for free because they really don't know what to do with them.
And guess what's the price for each one in China? 5-10 Yuan. That is less than 1 dollar. And it really shocked me how expensive it is priced in US. But I guess it is only because they are newly introduced so sellers can overprice them for a little while, but certainly not for long, because these are really, really tough fish and can produce countless babies in a very short time.

And here are some of the information from some Chinese website:
Length: 5-6 cm (max) (they are called "minI parrot fish" in Chinese)
PH: 5.5-7.0
temperature: 25-28℃
Hey!! Thanks for sharing that info with us all!!

And welcome to Fishlore!!

byh

Guys this is a YouTube video about keeping this species and how to tell their sex. It's in Chinese but I've provided the translation so that you guys can understand it.

Sucka4Cichlids

love these guys. my largest bred with a pink convict. the fry are gorgeous. I need to rehome some.
Screenshot_20190917-122136_Photos.jpg

Tspattel

Kolokithi said:
Hello all, just picked up a pair of these not too long ago, and can't find anything on these gorgeous fish. From what I was told from the owner of the pet shop is they are called jelly bean parrots because they don't grow big as regular blood parrots. I saw a tank full of them and asked to have just two to try them out. Turns out I was given a male and female to my surprise . Female laid eggs make fertilized them now I have a swarm of them , I'm going into this blind as nothing like this has happened before . And advice will be much appreciated .
20180730_221511.jpg

20180731_001628.jpg
Same thing happened with me I got a pair they r fortunately male and female and they started breeding also they gtow upto 3 inches max

tiffani

BettaMru said:

Love the color, They’re so cute!!!!
I’m look into getting these fish- they look like blood parrots, but much cuter in my opinion.

Johnnyjitz

BettaMru said:

Things I want to know:

Hi

I got 2 from a notable breeder about six months ago they are way less aggressive than convicts. They couple up almost immediately its better to have them in groups if 3 or 5 I'm told I only have two but I also have two other blood parrots but I have them all in community tank with loaches rainbow sharks and believe it or not 3 flowerhorns its a 90 gal but everyone gets along. I'm a firm believer in start with a lot of juvenile fish and Ive always had luck. I have 14 tanks and a koI pond I don't remember the last fish I lost its been 2 yrs for most. My African tank has a 7 inch red devil in it and she's the mediator fun tanks to say the least. People seem to have a lot to say about the way to stock your tanks. Bigger is better for tanks but I also have a few 40 and 20 gal that have they're own little mix matched population lol

tiffani

Johnnyjitz said:
I got 2 from a notable breeder about six months ago they are way less aggressive than convicts. They couple up almost immediately its better to have them in groups if 3 or 5 I'm told I only have two but I also have two other blood parrots but I have them all in community tank with loaches rainbow sharks and believe it or not 3 flowerhorns its a 90 gal but everyone gets along. I'm a firm believer in start with a lot of juvenile fish and Ive always had luck. I have 14 tanks and a koI pond I don't remember the last fish I lost its been 2 yrs for most. My African tank has a 7 inch red devil in it and she's the mediator fun tanks to say the least. People seem to have a lot to say about the way to stock your tanks. Bigger is better for tanks but I also have a few 40 and 20 gal that have they're own little mix matched population lol
Hello
I agree with you- buy babies and grow them out. I have discus & angels in the same tank and people kept telling me buy old discus- I bought tiny month old discus on impulse buy, lol. Was a learning curve- but I’ve kept them alive by medication up front & just watching what they like & don’t. I keep them in my room so basically I can see what’s going on with them all the time, but I’ve raised them from little colorless farts to probably 6-7 months old now. I also believe in upgrading the tanks over time, because I think the discus would have died in 90-125 tank from being so tiny when I got them.
My lfs has jellybean parrots & king Kong’s- but no polar blues- I think the polar blues are what I want. My discus are going to get big & I’m upgrading tanks again to 75 or bigger for them and want something to put into the 46 bow front I have, but I don’t want what everybody else has, lol. I want something different and on the smaller side. I’m not a fan of tetras & dither fish cause they pay me no attention. I want interactive fish that come up to us.
I have 5, 10, 20, 46 gallon tanks, some custom builds- but I only keep 2 tanks running right now.

Yes, everyone has something to say about your tank stock, lol. But you do you, and what you feel works, put what you want to mix together (within reason) and as long as your fish aren’t dying off- your absolutely doing something right!
Where can I I get these polar blue parrots?

Rbk

Silly question how can you tell the female from male?? With this breed?

Bullrocks

I have bought it today only.. really cute one.. can it go along with oscars?

Rbk

How big is your Oscar? They should be treated like any other Ciclid

RonJ said:
But the fish in the first picture has parrot like mouth. Convict mouth is quite different. So you think the mouth deformity also occurred with spine deformity?
Can they be put in a tank with blue rams?

chromedome52

Bullrocks

Rbk said:
How big is your Oscar? They should be treated like any other Ciclid
Juvenile oscar..2 inch plus

Tazmanian

Hey guys! I just got two of these fish and am trying to figure out the genders of my fish. The smaller, rounder one (we have been calling Gus) is shy, and runs. Gus hangs out near the filter and under the palm trees where "he" can't be seen. The longer, thinner one (we have been calling Annie) is bossy and always chasing Gus around and hanging out in the open. Gus has a lighter coloration since being in the tank (for about a week now) and Annie has gotten brighter. They both seem to be eating fine, but I'm a little worried about Gus. Any information on this breed would be helpful!

Attachments

tiffani

Tazmanian said:
Hey guys! I just got two of these fish and am trying to figure out the genders of my fish. The smaller, rounder one (we have been calling Gus) is shy, and runs. Gus hangs out near the filter and under the palm trees where "he" can't be seen. The longer, thinner one (we have been calling Annie) is bossy and always chasing Gus around and hanging out in the open. Gus has a lighter coloration since being in the tank (for about a week now) and Annie has gotten brighter. They both seem to be eating fine, but I'm a little worried about Gus. Any information on this breed would be helpful!
Hello
OMG- they are so cute. Where’d you get them? I can’t find these particular ones. I found jellybeans parrots.

Hey polar blue people
I just got my first pair of polar blues tonight!!! My LFS has them listed as sapphire dwarf parrot cichlids(their polar blues). Their so cute. I love them . They just make my tank look so good, because their the little oddballs in their. Currently, their in my display tank in my room with my angels & discus. I think I have a male & female- that’s what I asked for. Haven’t named them yet. My LFS imports a lot of his fish such as these.
Any advice on them would be appreciated?

Pat2012

I am look at getting a few of these fish, how aggressive are they towards smaller fish for example glow fish, Molly's, and danios. I was told they are not that aggressive, but I read very different comments and posts. Please help!

tiffani

Pat2012 said:
I am look at getting a few of these fish, how aggressive are they towards smaller fish for example glow fish, Molly's, and danios. I was told they are not that aggressive, but I read very different comments and posts. Please help!
Hello
I’ve had mines for a few months now, they really don’t seem to go up against anything bigger than them, the issue I had was that they are super food aggressive, territorial & bullys. So I moved them out of 65g & temporary moved them to small tank- just 2 of them. They show lots of breeding behavior.
They are if fact semi-aggressive for sure! They like combo convict cichlid & blood parrot & some small cichlid too.
I wouldn’t put this in with any small fish, they can bite & eat anything that will fit in their mouth- and they will try. They are currently in medium size tank until I put up their 45g. They are with full grown angelfish temporary and the angels are far bigger than them. However, I’ve seen these guys fin nip the long fins that touch the ground a few times. They can’t kill them, cause of the mouth being deformed, but they can harass other fish & try to bite.
I’ll be looking for smaller cichlids to house them with once I move them again- maybe blue Acura’s, rainbow cichlids, etc. something not super big that can hold it own up to them, but won’t kill them either, lol.
Hope this helps.

Top Bottom