Polar blue parrot convict cichlid

wtusa1783

I was at a pet store and the guy recommended this fish for me. Does anyone have experience with them or know anything about them?

gandalf1420

It's a parrot/convict hybrid. Parrots and convicts are both best in species only tanks, as convicts are hyper aggressive and parrots are just big. No live plants because they'll just destroy them.
Other then that they look really cool and probably have the same care requirements as a regular parrot cichlid.

chromedome52

Actually, they are probably a hybrid of deformed convicts, often sold as Jellybean Parrots, and the Honduran Red Point Convict, an undescribed relative of the common Convict Cichlid. HRP provides the blue body color, and there are many normal shaped hybrids with regular convicts. They have the care requirements of Convicts more than Bloody Parrots. They appear to stay smaller than your average Convict, as well.

wtusa1783

chromedome52 said:
Actually, they are probably a hybrid of deformed convicts, often sold as Jellybean Parrots, and the Honduran Red Point Convict, an undescribed relative of the common Convict Cichlid. HRP provides the blue body color, and there are many normal shaped hybrids with regular convicts. They have the care requirements of Convicts more than Bloody Parrots. They appear to stay smaller than your average Convict, as well.
Would you say they are as aggressive as convicts?

annamtau

Hi,
I would say, no. Definitely not as aggressive as convicts.
I have had three of these fish for three/ four months.
Mine are in a 55 with a medium sized parrot, a school of bleeding heart tetras and two med serverums.
I have a male and two females; one male & female are a mated pair, though no offspring have survived.
Only the paired male & female show any type of aggression when/ after they lay eggs, and it is only territorial, to guard their nest.

wtusa1783

annamtau said:
Hi,
I would say, no. Definitely not as aggressive as convicts.
I have had three of these fish for three/ four months.
Mine are in a 55 with a medium sized parrot, a school of bleeding heart tetras and two med serverums.
I have a male and two females; one male & female are a mated pair, though no offspring have survived.
Only the paired male & female show any type of aggression when/ after they lay eggs, and it is only territorial, to guard their nest.
Yep. I’ve got 3 as well and two paired off. They’ve layed eggs a few times and no luck. Thanks

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom