Polar Blue Convict Cichlid

the228guy

I was at my LFS today to get a Fire Mouth and Blue Acara. While I was there I noticed the Polar Blue convict cichlid. I was kind of in a rush so I didn't ask an employee about them. They where very cute and now I really want at least one. Do you think I could keep one with Firemouth Blue Acara and Gold Severum. If not I have a 40 Breeder with JD's that I could rehome. If you've kept them please let me know what you know about them!

Pridedcloth3

Like all convicts you can think of them as Chihuahuas. They're little feisty buggers. But I don't see any harm so long as #1 the other fish stand their ground and #2 don't add one of the opposite sex. From experience those are the two biggest thing in convict owning.

NaturalGothic

the228guy said:
I was at my LFS today to get a Fire Mouth and Blue Acara. While I was there I noticed the Polar Blue convict cichlid. I was kind of in a rush so I didn't ask an employee about them. They where very cute and now I really want at least one. Do you think I could keep one with Firemouth Blue Acara and Gold Severum. If not I have a 40 Breeder with JD's that I could rehome. If you've kept them please let me know what you know about them!
They are a hoot! I love playing with them. They’ll grow to be about 6-8 inches and act like a more feisty blood parrot. The tank mates you have should be fine, but, if you’re concerned, you should pick a polar who’s a tad smaller then your other two fish. I’ve noticed if I add a peaceful fish that’s bigger than my aggressive fish, I can get away with it. The size difference intimidates the aggressive guys into leaving them alone. That’s how I got away with blood parrots in my African cichlid tank.

the228guy

I'll have to wait til they grow out a little more then, the ones at the store were bigger then the fish I have now. I thought about it and I can't get rid of the JD's in my 40 just gonna have to bring him back if it gets too aggressive. For sure going to wait at least a month before I pull the trigger.

NaturalGothic

the228guy said:
I'll have to wait til they grow out a little more then, the ones at the store were bigger then the fish I have now. I thought about it and I can't get rid of the JD's in my 40 just gonna have to bring him back if it gets too aggressive. For sure going to wait at least a month before I pull the trigger.
These guys also go through a hazing period of sorts so don’t be surprised if they push each other around. They’re trying to establish dominance and a hierarchy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom