Polar Blue Breeding Tank? - Page 2

PolarBlue

Hello, I’m pretty new at this and cannot find much info on these little guys. Does anyone know if it’s possible to have one male Polar Blue successfully breed with more than one female in the tank? Should it always be one male to a tank because of aggression? I have a male that has chosen 2 females and I want to keep the females in the tank because they aren’t bothering the nesting females but the odd male is. So I’m wondering if I should just remove him? Keep all females and see how that works? He’s the only one stressing anyone he can out. What do you think?

Diane 007

That’s true. I’ll have to grab some ramshorn. Just had a 2nd breeding pair lay more eggs today! But my female from my first pair looks like she’s starting to fill with eggs again? How soon after their fry start free swimming do they breed again?
Mine actually took the time to raise them up They were a pretty good size before they made more. I promise you, you will have non stop babies. Plus side, they are easy to sell they are quite popular at the moment.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

That’s amazing. I didn’t know how popular they were until AFTER I bought them. The guy at the pet store didn’t know anything about them. When I went to get more a while ago he gave me info that was super false. I’ve had lots of tanks and fish but these guys by far are the best to me. I love figuring them out because with them every day is different! I would love to share fish photos with you maybe as mine grow more because there’s not much to show now lol but thank you for all of your help! Maybe I can share some of these guys with you in the future!

Upvote 0

Diane 007

How are the fry doing? I enjoy trading/buying fish from other fish keepers. The cross border thing creates a bit of a problem. Here is an updated pic of the polar parrot family

Attachments

• 32C054D8-F21A-46FA-854F-93A154E7FE1A.jpeg
    32C054D8-F21A-46FA-854F-93A154E7FE1A.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 17
  • CF4CCAEE-E9AB-4A87-A496-33D82EFFBBAA.jpeg
    CF4CCAEE-E9AB-4A87-A496-33D82EFFBBAA.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

PolarBlue

How are the fry doing? I enjoy trading/buying fish from other fish keepers. The cross border thing creates a bit of a problem. Here is an updated pic of the polar parrot family
Oh they are BEAUTIFUL!!! Maybe mailing things will get easier! But they’re doing amazing!! Thanks for asking! They’re exploring the tank more with mom and dad and they are eating very well! But… I did have that other pair that laid MANY eggs, and I added a plant yesterday AWAY from the nest and I turned the light on this morning and the eggs are GONE. But there is another hideout that mom hangs in so is it possible that she moved them? Or did I totally mess everything up she’s acting as if there’s is a nest in there but I’m not quite sure because I can’t see inside AT ALL. So I think that’s why she maybe moved them but I didn’t know if that was possible with these guys. I noticed yesterday that about 5 eggs werent fertilized and looked like they were going bad so maybe she moved them because of that too?? I hope I didn’t cause too much stress for her… but check these guys out!!! Don’t mind the tank, today is cleaning day! The picture with the tank that has sand is my other pair. I would LOVE to know your thoughts!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

Diane 007

Oh they are BEAUTIFUL!!! Maybe mailing things will get easier! But they’re doing amazing!! Thanks for asking! They’re exploring the tank more with mom and dad and they are eating very well! But… I did have that other pair that laid MANY eggs, and I added a plant yesterday AWAY from the nest and I turned the light on this morning and the eggs are GONE. But there is another hideout that mom hangs in so is it possible that she moved them? Or did I totally mess everything up she’s acting as if there’s is a nest in there but I’m not quite sure because I can’t see inside AT ALL. So I think that’s why she maybe moved them but I didn’t know if that was possible with these guys. I noticed yesterday that about 5 eggs werent fertilized and looked like they were going bad so maybe she moved them because of that too?? I hope I didn’t cause too much stress for her… but check these guys out!!! Don’t mind the tank, today is cleaning day! The picture with the tank that has sand is my other pair. I would LOVE to know your thoughts!
I see them!!! Out for a stroll with mom and dad. My female has never moved the eggs, she disappears into her cave and only comes out for food then immediately back to the cave. Looks like you are going to be having twice the fun in a couple days as the other pair have been busy. I love her little cichlid cave! Is the male turning into a piranha on water change day? Mine tries to peck me to death ( cute but ungrateful )

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

I see them!!! Out for a stroll with mom and dad. My female has never moved the eggs, she disappears into her cave and only comes out for food then immediately back to the cave. Looks like you are going to be having twice the fun in a couple days as the other pair have been busy. I love her little cichlid cave! Is the male turning into a piranha on water change day? Mine tries to peck me to death ( cute but ungrateful )
The eggs were in the pot behind them and they guarded that HEAVILY but now they’re guarding the new cave! I got it off of Amazon, be careful and make sure you look at the sizes because they can be VERY deceiving!!! Yes he does! Any other time he’s a big chicken and Mom is the one that has pecked me many times! She’s a good mama! Dad is kinda in his own world but also helps a lot at times. Oh yeah it’s like one day they love you and another they don’t want anything to do with ya lol It’s incredible how such a small fish can be filled with so many wonderful traits!

Upvote 0

Diane 007

The eggs were in the pot behind them and they guarded that HEAVILY but now they’re guarding the new cave! I got it off of Amazon, be careful and make sure you look at the sizes because they can be VERY deceiving!!! Yes he does! Any other time he’s a big chicken and Mom is the one that has pecked me many times! She’s a good mama! Dad is kinda in his own world but also helps a lot at times. Oh yeah it’s like one day they love you and another they don’t want anything to do with ya lol It’s incredible how such a small fish can be filled with so many wonderful traits!
I literally have they’re tank right beside my couch as soon as I look in they make a mad dash right over.. wanting food of course but they are just so curious about everything! Oh I forgot to mention I feed the fry frozen daphnia as well and crushed up spirulina flakes.

Attachments

• 7CEDB141-DFD6-4B58-8B82-C0AEE102ADC6.jpeg
    7CEDB141-DFD6-4B58-8B82-C0AEE102ADC6.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

PolarBlue

I literally have they’re tank right beside my couch as soon as I look in they make a mad dash right over.. wanting food of course but they are just so curious about everything! Oh I forgot to mention I feed the fry frozen daphnia as well and crushed up spirulina flakes.
I’ve been wanting to grab a pack of that but I wasn’t sure! I’ll be sure to grab one for them! They are very curious! Even the babies! Do you think it’s still too early to take half of the gravel out of the big tank and replace it with sand?? I CANNOT stand the gravel after using sand

Upvote 0

Diane 007

I’ve been wanting to grab a pack of that but I wasn’t sure! I’ll be sure to grab one for them! They are very curious! Even the babies! Do you think it’s still too early to take half of the gravel out of the big tank and replace it with sand?? I CANNOT stand the gravel after using sand
I personally would wait on that for a little bit! You’ll be surprised how fast they grow. I think right now they are just too tiny to make such a big change to the environment.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

I personally would wait on that for a little bit! You’ll be surprised how fast they grow. I think right now they are just too tiny to make such a big change to the environment.
That’s what I was thinking I just wanted to know what you think because I’ve never had free swimming fry or have gone through anything like this before! I wouldn’t have been able to do ANY of it without your help! You’ve gave me the confidence I needed to give these guys the best! It’s hard work but they make it so worth it! And it’s so amazing to have people like you that enjoy them as much as I do. I wish you were closer so we could exchange so much info so much easier! I just want to breed them for others to enjoy them as much as we do. I love finding out new things about them every day and would love to share “most” of the info with others if ya know what I mean I could just talk about these little guys ALL day long and even if it’s expensive I would LOVE to send you one of my beauties just to show you thanks! Because I know for a fact they will be loved!!!!

Upvote 0

Diane 007

That’s what I was thinking I just wanted to know what you think because I’ve never had free swimming fry or have gone through anything like this before! I wouldn’t have been able to do ANY of it without your help! You’ve gave me the confidence I needed to give these guys the best! It’s hard work but they make it so worth it! And it’s so amazing to have people like you that enjoy them as much as I do. I wish you were closer so we could exchange so much info so much easier! I just want to breed them for others to enjoy them as much as we do. I love finding out new things about them every day and would love to share “most” of the info with others if ya know what I mean I could just talk about these little guys ALL day long and even if it’s expensive I would LOVE to send you one of my beauties just to show you thanks! Because I know for a fact they will be loved!!!!
Hey, sorry I have been crazy busy. I would absolutely love to have one of the babies. Thank you so much for the kind words.. I appreciate this site very much many people were incredibly helpful when I first started. I’m happy that I can help. Happy/sad day yesterday as some of my babies went to new homes. I think mom and dad were completely ok with it..lol

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Hey, sorry I have been crazy busy. I would absolutely love to have one of the babies. Thank you so much for the kind words.. I appreciate this site very much many people were incredibly helpful when I first started. I’m happy that I can help. Happy/sad day yesterday as some of my babies went to new homes. I think mom and dad were completely ok with it..lol
Oh I completely understand! Taking care of these guys is a job if it’s own too! When it gets to that point when they’re ready for homes, I’ll let you have first pick because I literally would not have been able to do this without you. We will figure it out when time comes because I plan to ALWAYS keep you updated if you want! Any time I’m feeling discouraged you truly do help so much. And I know. I love this site too. It’s AMAZING to find and speak to people that genuinely have a passion for these guys and more. Awww well when things are meant to be they will be! And I’m sure if you’d know if it wasn’t right you’d follow your gut instinct! Just remember yeah Mom and Dad help a lot, but those babies couldn’t have done it without you either! So you did an amazing job! Congrats to the new homes ☺️ More people to fall in love with the little guys! Yes. They are AMAZING parents but they DO like their space!

Upvote 0

Diane 007

Oh I completely understand! Taking care of these guys is a job if it’s own too! When it gets to that point when they’re ready for homes, I’ll let you have first pick because I literally would not have been able to do this without you. We will figure it out when time comes because I plan to ALWAYS keep you updated if you want! Any time I’m feeling discouraged you truly do help so much. And I know. I love this site too. It’s AMAZING to find and speak to people that genuinely have a passion for these guys and more. Awww well when things are meant to be they will be! And I’m sure if you’d know if it wasn’t right you’d follow your gut instinct! Just remember yeah Mom and Dad help a lot, but those babies couldn’t have done it without you either! So you did an amazing job! Congrats to the new homes ☺️ More people to fall in love with the little guys! Yes. They are AMAZING parents but they DO like their space!
Do you just have the parents and fry in the 50 gallon? I know you now have another breeding pair in a separate tank I just can’t remember if you had anything else in there with the polars? Forgot to mention they absolutely love kale!

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Do you just have the parents and fry in the 50 gallon? I know you now have another breeding pair in a separate tank I just can’t remember if you had anything else in there with the polars? Forgot to mention they absolutely love kale!
Yes ma’am just the parents and fry. I had other females but once the fry started free swimming they wanted NO ONE else in the. So it’s just them the fry and some snails. But I do have another pair, yes, that should have eggs hatching soon and I had the 2 rejects that NO ONE wanted in he tank and I moved them to my community tank and thise guys paired up too! But the fry won’t have as high of a chance as the others. I want to put them in a separate tank (I have one) I just and busy with the other fellas! That’s crazy you mention that! I know they need their veggies so I tried lettuce today and they didn’t care too much lol I was thinking something more green! Do you let it free float or clip it?

Upvote 0

Diane 007

Yes ma’am just the parents and fry. I had other females but once the fry started free swimming they wanted NO ONE else in the. So it’s just them the fry and some snails. But I do have another pair, yes, that should have eggs hatching soon and I had the 2 rejects that NO ONE wanted in he tank and I moved them to my community tank and thise guys paired up too! But the fry won’t have as high of a chance as the others. I want to put them in a separate tank (I have one) I just and busy with the other fellas! That’s crazy you mention that! I know they need their veggies so I tried lettuce today and they didn’t care too much lol I was thinking something more green! Do you let it free float or clip it?
I just blanched it for a minute or two and spear it with a fork so it sinks. They get in there and rip it to shreds..lol

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

I just blanched it for a minute or two and spear it with a fork so it sinks. They get in there and rip it to shreds..lol
I will have to give them some for sure! Checked in on my second pair today, and the eggs have hatched and mom has moved them BACK to the brown pot. They’re flickering around and Mom and Dad are being piranhas! Is there such thing as feeding a pair too often? The water is perfect they just seem more hungry at times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Diane 007

I will have to give them some for sure! Checked in on my second pair today, and the eggs have hatched and mom has moved them BACK to the brown pot. They’re flickering around and Mom and Dad are being piranhas! Is there such thing as feeding a pair too often? The water is perfect they just seem more hungry at times.
I think these guy’s would eat until they exploded. You are soon to be the sole supplier of polar parrots..lol hopefully your local LFS will want some.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Nice looking! How many did you get?

I think these guy’s would eat until they exploded. You are soon to be the sole supplier of polar parrots..lol hopefully your local LFS will want some.
I don’t doubt that one bit! They love their food! That’s okay, I love these guys! I have a lot of people ready to keep them when it’s time. Check it out, this is my first batch in the first photo and my second in the second photo. The picture doesn’t do justice! There HAS to be double of what the first pair had.

Attachments

• A5E8ED2B-E59B-428E-A334-19B4EA6C82B7.jpeg
    A5E8ED2B-E59B-428E-A334-19B4EA6C82B7.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 4368B4FD-3F8A-4B5B-B1A7-271DDC727888.jpeg
    4368B4FD-3F8A-4B5B-B1A7-271DDC727888.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

Diane 007

I don’t doubt that one bit! They love their food! That’s okay, I love these guys! I have a lot of people ready to keep them when it’s time. Check it out, this is my first batch in the first photo and my second in the second photo. The picture doesn’t do justice! There HAS to be double of what the first pair had.
They grow up so fast! You are doing a great job. I must admit I’m not really a fan of Frankenstein fish but these guy’s are simply wonderful. Huge personality in a small package!
I only got two, after reading about the amount of breeding they do I didn’t want to risk having more than one breeding pair!
They are so cool though I caught one dragging a leaf across the substrate today and when it noticed me it looked so guilty haha
It’s not easy sexing these guy’s but trust me if you have a pair you’ll know soon enough. My female has it out for the mystery snail, she spends most of the day rolling it to the other end of the tank.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

They grow up so fast! You are doing a great job. I must admit I’m not really a fan of Frankenstein fish but these guy’s are simply wonderful. Huge personality in a small package!

It’s not easy sexing these guy’s but trust me if you have a pair you’ll know soon enough. My female has it out for the mystery snail, she spends most of the day rolling it to the other end of the tank.
Thank you ☺️ I’m not a fan either but there’s just something about these guys that stood out to me at the pet store and once I got home and got them comfortable I was IN LOVE. I’ve been having an issue with my female messing with some ramshorn snails I grabbed. They’re a good size but I think she might have wiped them out! They never mess with the nerite snails though.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Woke up to this! Such a happy healthy pair Tiny fish, but amazing parents.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Diane 007

Woke up to this! Such a happy healthy pair Tiny fish, but amazing parents.
How many babies do you think you have?

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

How many babies do you think you have?
I could somewhat keep up with the count at first but in total of free swimming fry and eggs, I have to have close to 200
Gott

I could somewhat keep up with the count at first but in total of free swimming fry and eggs, I have to have close to 200
Have yours ever laid big numbers like mine?

Upvote 0

Diane 007

Gott

Have yours ever laid big numbers like mine?
No, never that large thank goodness! Holy chow that’s like a full time job. What an amazing site that must be.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

No, never that large thank goodness! Holy chow that’s like a full time job. What an amazing site that must be.
Oh goodness! I thought maybe this may be super common! It truly almost is like one! I’m constantly checking and making sure EVERY mouth is eating without over feeding. It truly is an incredible site. I can get lost into their world when I watch them. Small busy bees but so worth it. I will definitely keep you updated!

Upvote 0

Diane 007

PolarBlue how are the babies doing?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
PolarBlue
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics