Polar Blue Breeding Tank?

PolarBlue

Hello, I’m pretty new at this and cannot find much info on these little guys. Does anyone know if it’s possible to have one male Polar Blue successfully breed with more than one female in the tank? Should it always be one male to a tank because of aggression? I have a male that has chosen 2 females and I want to keep the females in the tank because they aren’t bothering the nesting females but the odd male is. So I’m wondering if I should just remove him? Keep all females and see how that works? He’s the only one stressing anyone he can out. What do you think?

Azedenkae

Hello, I’m pretty new at this and cannot find much info on these little guys. Does anyone know if it’s possible to have one male Polar Blue successfully breed with more than one female in the tank? Should it always be one male to a tank because of aggression? I have a male that has chosen 2 females and I want to keep the females in the tank because they aren’t bothering the nesting females but the odd male is. So I’m wondering if I should just remove him? Keep all females and see how that works? He’s the only one stressing anyone he can out. What do you think?

Sorry, I am a bit lost with the context of this. So how many males and females are in how many tanks right now?

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Sorry, I am a bit lost with the context of this. So how many males and females are in how many tanks right now?
I have 4 females and 2 males in a 50 gallon tank
I have 4 females and 2 males in a 50 gallon tank
New update, the odd ball male has paired up with a different female. So my big male has 2 females and my other male has one. Everyone has seemed to find their place. I also noticed some new eggs that my second female is taking good care of and the big male is doing a good job going back and forth between his ladies! It’s incredible watching these little guys! I love em!

Upvote 0

Diane 007

You are going to have more babies than you know what to do with! Mine never stop making them. I agree with you they are fun fish to keep.

Upvote 0

Dan1o

How big do these fish get? And what are the tank size requirements for them? All the info I could find on them was very vague

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

So far I’ve found that they get to be 3in. They need at least a 30 gallon tank so they can have plenty of room especially if one or more nest because they will keep the others at a 6in perimeter away from where the nest is. So the bigger the better. And make sure to add plenty of hiding places for them. It makes them SO much happier!
How big do these fish get? And what are the tank size requirements for them? All the info I could find on them was very vague

I knkw it’s very hard to find good solid info! So far I’ve found that they get to be 3in. They need at least a 30 gallon tank so they can have plenty of room especially if one or more nest because they will keep the others at a 6in perimeter away from where the nest is. So the bigger the better. And make sure to add plenty of hiding places for them. It makes them SO much happier!

Upvote 0

Diane 007

I have a breeding pair in a 29 gallon. My male is about 3 inches my female is about the size of a toonie. They are excellent parents. Due to the convict genes they make babies non stop! They are full of personality for sure.

Attachments

• E20DB760-43C6-4C41-8870-2D3518C95832.jpeg
    E20DB760-43C6-4C41-8870-2D3518C95832.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 36
  • F1A19AB1-413E-4370-B2EF-A6AE1099E3F6.jpeg
    F1A19AB1-413E-4370-B2EF-A6AE1099E3F6.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

PolarBlue

I have a breeding pair in a 29 gallon. My male is about 3 inches my female is about the size of a toonie. They are excellent parents. Due to the convict genes they make babies non stop! They are full of personality for sure.
Yours are beautiful!

Upvote 0

Diane 007

Yours are beautiful!
Thank you. I gave one of the juveniles to a friend. She has it in her 45 gallon community tank, she reported back that within the hour it officially became the tank boss!

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Thank you. I gave one of the juveniles to a friend. She has it in her 45 gallon community tank, she reported back that within the hour it officially became the tank boss!
I dont doubt that one bit! I’m still pretty new to these little guys, and can’t find much on the whole breeding and incubation process. How long does it take for the fry to pop out of the eggs? How many eggs do they typically lay? Have you ever had 1 male to 3 females?? And how long does it take for the fry to become juveniles? I average my information based off of cichlids and Parot fish so I’m really just playing a guessing game but when I look at my little guys they couldn’t be happier! Have you found any certain things that they really like in particular? I have mine now on Fluval Bug Bites Cichlid formula and I feed them some brine shrimp every so often. How often do you feed yours?

Upvote 0

Diane 007

I originally started with 3 what I believed was 1 male 2 females. A pair formed straight away and the other female was forced to live behind the sponge filter. They did not tolerate her at all! The pair have the 29 gallon all to themselves + juveniles. These guy’s eat anything but I do feed repashy community blend along with bug bites and spirulina flakes.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

That’s crazy! I’ll have to try those! I started with 2 tiny females and absolutely loved them so went back the next day and picked out 4 more. At the time I had NO clue how to figure out who was what but after just sitting and watching them over time they’ve helped me figure it out. But 1 the 2 I started with ended up pairing with the biggest male and they kept everyone away. I added 2 pots and realized that the first pair had eggs so I closed off their tunnel so she’s not stressed. And the male stayed inside with her for a few days then ventured out to pair with another female! But still kept his First Lady safe and checked on her but ended up successfully fertilizing the other females eggs and repeated the whole process with another female! I had an odd ball male that NO ONE wanted in there that I had to place in another tank to keep him happy but the females might kiss here and there but the male will get between them to break it up and makes them go back to their nests! Do you know if this is something that is common with these little guys? On a side note some of the fry are starting to hatch in the white pot ♥️ And of course Dad HAD to get in the picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0

Diane 007

Do you have any live plants in there? I would suggest putting in some hornwort or water wisteria, guppy grass they are are excellent floating plants and give the fry somewhere to hide. Also does that white pot have a glaze on it or does it just look shiny from the pic?

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Do you have any live plants in there? I would suggest putting in some hornwort or water wisteria, guppy grass they are are excellent floating plants and give the fry somewhere to hide. Also does that white pot have a glaze on it or does it just look shiny from the pic?
Thank you for the suggestions! We are headed to the pet store right now So I’ll kee my eye out for some healthy plants! It’s smooth and shiny but it doesn’t seem like it has a glaze at all but I could be wrong should I remove it when the fry hatch and are out??

Upvote 0

Diane 007

Thank you for the suggestions! We are headed to the pet store right now So I’ll kee my eye out for some healthy plants! It’s smooth and shiny but it doesn’t seem like it has a glaze at all but I could be wrong should I remove it when the fry hatch and are out??
I would replace it with another terra cotta pot (non glazed) just to be safe.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Will do!

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Let me know when you have fry. Get ready for multiple feeding and water changes. Babies are demanding.
Yesterday I started to notice some of the Fry twitching around in the white pot but this morning when I turn the light on more than half of them were gone. So I don’t know if they were eaten or maybe fell out and are under the pot inside the rocks. Should I move the pot they try to see if I can locate them? Will they be OK without mom if they are underneath it? Should I just let nature take it’s course? Help!

Upvote 0

Diane 007

I would just leave it alone. Mom knows exactly where they are! Did you get any plants?

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

I would just leave it alone. Mom knows exactly where they are! Did you get any plants?
Yes, they didn’t have any that you mentioned but I got a few just to add some hiding places and I’ve added driftwood that I pre-boiled and everything. I grabbed a small baby tears plant, and another small one I can remember the name of. But I’m trying another place today for some top floating plants. After adding more things I’ve noticed that’s she’s been moving a lot of the rocks in front of the pot and I see some fry flicking around

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Diane 007

That looks great and those are definitely fry, crush up some food for them. I feed mine 4x a day hence the smaller more frequent water changes… congratulations! Let the fun begin.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

That looks great and those are definitely fry, crush up some food for them. I feed mine 4x a day hence the smaller more frequent water changes… congratulations! Let the fun begin.
Thank you, I grabbed this for the little guys yesterday, will it be nutritional enough? And new update, Mom has moved every rock one by one to clear out in front of the pot and it seems like ALL the fry are safe ♥️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Diane 007

Yes that food will work just fine for them, you don’t need to add very much it’s like dust but they’ll find it

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Yes that food will work just fine for them, you don’t need to add very much it’s like dust but they’ll find it
Thank you for all your help! I was eventually wanting to have sand in the tank instead of gravel. I was JUST about to swap it then they paired up and the rest is history lol should I wait until the fry grow up? Put the sand over gravel? Or remove all gravel and add sand?

Upvote 0

Diane 007

I have sand in all my tanks mainly because of the fish I keep. I wouldn’t add sand over top of gravel it will just fall through and be a mess. Eventually you can switch it out the fry grow pretty quick.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

I’ve heard that’s it’s so much better. I should have planned it better but I didn’t know they would move so fast! How soon after the fry start swimming will the parents spawn? Do the parents wait for them to fully grow up? Do they just keep producing or will the male get tired of the females? I just want to know so that I can plan a good time to do a swap without disturbing anything. I hate to do anything unless it’s needed

Upvote 0

Diane 007

In my case they don’t spawn again until the fry was a pretty good size. Then they are no longer good parents and want them out.
A pic of when they were small and today

Attachments

• 5EBE727C-7027-406F-9387-496E21193115.png
    5EBE727C-7027-406F-9387-496E21193115.png
    484.7 KB · Views: 19
  • A9FA0D5E-3D5D-4CCC-9A21-149E4BA1E74E.jpeg
    A9FA0D5E-3D5D-4CCC-9A21-149E4BA1E74E.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

PolarBlue

In my case they don’t spawn again until the fry was a pretty good size. Then they are no longer good parents and want them out.
A pic of when they were small and today
What are your thoughts? So I woke up this morning and turned on the lights to check on everyone and everyone was where they usually are. I went into the kitchen for a few minutes and came back and noticed that my smallest female was NOT in her nest. Her face looks bitten and I sold away from the tank for a second and noticed the male chasing her. He keeps other females away from where her best was but the was it’s set up I can see if there are even fry back there. I’m standing in front of the tank now and noticed that he let the female that has been relocating the fry , in the other females nest! Was the smaller one just a bad mom? She looks tore up and I noticed her eye is foggy but I don’t know if that’s from other fish. What are your thoughts on this? Should I remove the small female for her safety? There has to be fry where the small female was because Dad is still protecting something

Attachments

• 76CBB0F7-42B3-4983-A56E-9A4673EF2708.jpeg
    76CBB0F7-42B3-4983-A56E-9A4673EF2708.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Diane 007

You have 2 females 1 male in there? I would remove whichever one is being beaten up. That is how I ended up with my pair they did not tolerate the other female.

Upvote 0

Diane 007

Can anyone tell me what temperature Polar blues prefer?
I have mine at 78 and all is well. Lots of babies.

Upvote 0

Dan1o

Great thanks, I’m getting a pair on Saturday, can’t wait!

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

That’s what my tank is at too! Enjoy these little guys they are wonderful to watch and have! Yesterday my fry started free swimming! Just like you Diane, I had to separate the remaining females because they were NOT tolerating them. But I have a big female I separated that paired up with a male already and they’re both just as beautiful! I counted at least 40 or more fry from my first pair, they are AMAZING parents. I’ve always had many types of fish and these guys have to be my favorite!

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Let me know when you have fry. Get ready for multiple feeding and water changes. Babies are demanding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Diane 007

Congratulations on the swimmers! 40 is pretty good but don’t be to upset if that number ends up being cut in half. For whatever reason I usually end up with about 18 that make it to a sellable size.
They love the live plants..

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

Congratulations on the swimmers! 40 is pretty good but don’t be to upset if that number ends up being cut in half. For whatever reason I usually end up with about 18 that make it to a sellable size.
They love the live plants..
Thank you! And thank you for the truth! Do you have anything else in the breeding tank besides the parents and fry? Something that helps clean up excess food but won’t hurt the fry. I know I need to do water changes frequently but it’s such a big tank it would be nice to have some kind of little helper

Upvote 0

Diane 007

Thank you! And thank you for the truth! Do you have anything else in the breeding tank besides the parents and fry? Something that helps clean up excess food but won’t hurt the fry. I know I need to do water changes frequently but it’s such a big tank it would be nice to have some kind of little helper
I have 2 mystery snails in with them and some ramshorn snails that hitched a ride on some hornwort.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

I have 2 mystery snails in with them and some ramshorn snails that hitched a ride on some hornwort.
Have you ever tried Nerites?

Upvote 0

Diane 007

Have you ever tried Nerites?
I’ve had them in the past, I really don’t like the eggs they leave everywhere.

Upvote 0

PolarBlue

That’s true. I’ll have to grab some ramshorn. Just had a 2nd breeding pair lay more eggs today! But my female from my first pair looks like she’s starting to fill with eggs again? How soon after their fry start free swimming do they breed again?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
PolarBlue
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views